R1 shock fitted - need spring source. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 373 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would the stock Versys spring work on the R1 shock, or are the dimensions wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 373 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I don't know because I haven't removed the Versys spring and laid it alongside the original R1 spring. When I got my spring made I took in the R1 spring and they matched those dimensions.
When you lay the R1 spring only against the assembled Versys shock they don't match for length. The R1 spring is slightly shorter than the loaded Versys spring but they are the same overall diameter.
I don't think you could fit the Versys spring on the R1 shock.
post #23 of 373 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Well done ,Very informative this.Its only now that I've managed to get a spring rate for er6/versys. I was looking at doing something similar to my er6 and doing my research found that 98 cbr600 showa comes in at spring rate 13-14 kg/mm eye to eye length 290 mm altho. versys would be better suited to 99 onwards length 305mm. With similar spring rates surely the cbr shock would need no revalving.Rebound and compression damping -remote res. but would require some careful trimming to the lower eye to narrow it for fitting .---any thoughts?

post #24 of 373 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Follow-up request

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post
Rode today with a group of friends through our favourite back roads. I led the group and the Versys just left them behind on every corner. The new settings are spot on and the bike felt bloody brillant!!
One of the guys followed me home after having had a ride on my bike. He wanted his hard sports settings altered to try and get closer to the plush feel of my bike. We reset his static sag and backed off the rebound dampening. The compression dampening seemed about right. I will find out next week if it's any better. I rode his bike earlier and it sure can't be any worse!!
Well that's the end of my R1 story. I hope it inspires others to give it a go.
Hi Zeph.
How has it gone in the time since you posted this message?
My NZ daughter came here this summer so I guess it will be some time before I come out to NZ again.
My Versys is performing really well. I took it on a pretty severe trip to Morocco and into the Sahara Desert last October, and I returned from a trip up to the Shetland Islands a few weeks ago. I also did a trip along the north coast mountains of Spain in May 2010 in epically grim weather.
I had to return the Hagon shock to have the 2 end bushes re-sleeved after the hammering of the Morocco trip but otherwise the bike and the suspension mods both ends have been faultless. Considering how little it has cost me it is the most amazing bargain of a bike.
Ted.
post #25 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM

I found a barely used '08 R1 shock locally for $60, and am in the process of getting a replacement spring for use on the Versys from Racetech. It's an Eibach spring, and requires a different collar adapter.

I sent Zeph a PM, hopefully he'll respond and we can get his pics back up here. It seems a few modifications are needed to do the installation (widening the mounting holes, trimming some plastic) so I'm not quite sure what I'm getting into.

In any case, I'll keep you guys posted.
post #26 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM

zeph sent me his photos today, so here they are:

By the way, the Eibach spring from Racetech is kind of a bust at this point.. the dimensions of the spring require a different preload collar, which would be fine except that it requires disassembly of the shock itself---i.e. releasing and recharging the nitrogen pressure. And I don't want to tear into the damper unless it needs a revalve.

So I'm gonna pop the original spring off the R1 shock and see if I can find a dimensional match from a spring manufacturer (e.g. www.centuryspring.com, www.leespring.com, www.mwspring.com) or if I must, get one custom wound. So far the places I've spoken with want a hefty engineering fee to do a one-off custom job. Anybody know of a place that specializes in custom coil springs?

Last edited by UAV online; 11-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.
post #27 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM

post #28 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 AM

R1 Shock spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
get one custom wound. So far the places I've spoken with want a hefty engineering fee to do a one-off custom job. Anybody know of a place that specializes in custom coil springs?
I am searching for the same in the UK. I will let you know what I find.
There are SO MANY good R1 shocks for sale for low prices on Ebay UK.
Zeph was better served in NZ it seems.
Ted99uk.
post #29 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
post #30 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the links, invader.

I went down to Racetech in Corona a couple weeks back and showed the shock to the tech. We confirmed my suspicion that aside from reducing collars on each end, nothing else is needed to mount the stiffer Eibach springs. I ordered a 13.8 kg/mm spring, figuring I'm a bit heavier than Zeph, and I have a top box. The spring is taking forever to come in, though. Hopefully it'll come in this week and I can install it over the holidays. Will let you all know how it goes.
post #31 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
I ordered a 13.8 kg/mm spring, figuring I'm a bit heavier than Zeph, and I have a top box.
It will be interesting to hear how that configuration turns out. I would think that spring would be much too soft for the V. Keep in mind the R1 has linkage and the V doesn't. I've attached the measured spring rate of the stock V spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008VersysShockSpring.jpg (10.3 KB, 477 views)
post #32 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM

I based my choice on the great results Zeph reported. I agree, though, it does sound soft. The guys at Racetech said I could exchange for a different spring if it doesn't work out. We'll see!
post #33 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 AM

Spring rate

The spring I have on my Hagon shock is 14kg. I weigh 120kg total with all my touring bags on and fully loaded up for a trip. I find it just great for me. Zeph based his spring on my info as he is lighter than me.
Go for your 13.8 spring and let us know how it goes.
If it is good I must find out how much it will cost me to get one sent to UK.

Ted.
post #34 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM

R1 spring dimensions

I would be very grateful if one of you guys who has an R1 spring would tell me the inside diameter and the overall length.
I dont intend to buy an R1 shock till I know I can get a spring for it.
It would help a lot finding one if I knew the measurements.
Thanks.
Ted.
post #35 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99uk View Post
The spring I have on my Hagon shock is 14kg. I weigh 120kg total with all my touring bags on and fully loaded up for a trip. I find it just great for me. Zeph based his spring on my info as he is lighter than me.
Go for your 13.8 spring and let us know how it goes.
If it is good I must find out how much it will cost me to get one sent to UK.

I would be very grateful if one of you guys who has an R1 spring would tell me the inside diameter and the overall length.
I dont intend to buy an R1 shock till I know I can get a spring for it.
It would help a lot finding one if I knew the measurements.
Thanks.
Ted.
Thanks for the info, Ted. I based my spring rate on Zeph's, and he on yours.. I'm sure others have/will read this info, so we all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Zeph said he was 75 kg geared up, and got a good sag measurement (40mm) with the preload set halfway. I'm about 10 lbs heavier, but I also have a Givi e52 top box so in total my load could reach 100 kg. I had found an obscure and rather unscientific algorithm to account for the difference between rider weight and cargo weight. And since I only rarely ride fully loaded, 13.8 kg/mm seemed like a good compromise.

My '08 R1 shock spring is roughly 7" long and 2-3/16" in ID. The Eibach has a the same length but is a little wider (nominally 2-1/4"), so you have to use reducing collars on both ends. This ends up adding maybe 3mm of preload, so you have to factor that in to your spring rate. I'm still waiting for my shock to come back---Louie at Racetech is kinda draggin ass---but I'll be sure to post up part numbers and results.
post #36 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Got my 13.8 kg/mm Eibach spring equipped R1 shock back this week. Looks pretty good on there, kind of a blood red color. Now I just need to get the bushes bored out to 12mm so I can mount it up. One of the bushes slipped out easily, but I'm still not sure exactly how to go about boring it out. I have access to a drill press, but how do I secure it in place without damaging it's exterior? The other bush apparently comes out with a hammer and a socket.

Seems like what I need is a drill press with a vice to keep this round thing from just spinning as I drill into it...

Here's a pic:

(The spring doesn't look that bright red in person, more of a Burgundy or Maroon.)

It's a 2008 Yamaha R1 shock with a Racetech-installed 7.0" x 2.25" 13.8 kg/mm (775 lb/in) [P/N SESP 702250775] sandwiched between two 58 mm x 55 mm reducing collars [P/N SPSC 5855]. I delivered the shock (sans original spring) to Louis Martinez at Racetech in Corona. After confirming fitment, he ordered the spring from Eibach. It took several weeks to arrive---my only complaint, as Louis had said it would be there in a couple days. But he didn't charge me to install the new spring, and got the shock back to me by Christmas, so I'm a happy camper. $153 for the Racetech parts and shipping plus $60 for the used R1 shock.. $213 ain't bad for a custom-sprung, 3-way adjustable shock. Now I just need to get on the drill press and bore out those mounting bushings so I can get this baby on the road.

I'll know a lot more after a test ride, but as far as I can tell the only drawback vs Zeph's setup is that this standard 7.0" x 2.25" Eibach spring requires reducing collars which are 1.6 mm thick---which is like bumping up the minimum preload setting three notches or 3 mm.

Last edited by UAV online; 04-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.
post #37 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM

It looks good.
I can see the problem boring out the bush. it needs boring not just drilling.
If boring out the bushes proves too difficult could you make a stepped bolt, at least for the lower bush which has a nut on and make a sleeve for the nut end to fit the swingarm hole.
The upper bolt goes into a tapped hole in the bike frame so you couldn't do the same.
Other ideas guys?
Which face of the bush is the working rotating one, the bush to bolt or bush to shock housing? I assume the latter so you want to clamp the bolt rigid to the bush so the bolt can't rotate inside it.

Ted.
post #38 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:09 PM

perhaps something from here would work. I've bought a number parts from them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeve-bearings/=adjamn
post #39 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post
perhaps something from here would work. I've bought a number parts from them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeve-bearings/=adjamn
Thanks Phoneman. That looks a very useful website, I have saved it for future use. Pity (for me) they are not in UK.
Ted.
post #40 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM

I have discovered a UK spring supplier.
www.dfaulknersprings.com
they do a standard one identical to yours. 7 ins long by 2.25 ins ID and 13.8kg per mm stiffness (775lb per inch). It is 28 UK pounds in cost.
They don't do a 2 3/16 dia spring although they appear to do a made to measure service at extra cost.
From the photo it looks like you might have needed a collar even with the 2 3/16 spring. Is that correct or would the 2 3/16 one fit on ok?
Ted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode