Electrical failures in cold weather? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Electrical failures in cold weather?

Not sure if this is something to be worried about or not..

When it is cold (like below 20F) electrical stuff won't work right away. The turn signals may or may not work.. if my heated jacket or grips work and I turn on the signal everything will stop working. Everything will eventually come back on after riding for maybe 10-15 miles but even then it seems kinda random.

When it's a little colder (maybe below 10F) I have the same problems but they don't really fix themselves after riding for a little while. If everything does work then it is short-lived and completely random.

On a few occasions when it was below 0F the jacket, grips, and signals just didn't work at all.

I ride the V an hour and a half each way to work so, theoretically, it should get the engine warmed up. This has been a really cold winter though.. it may not be able to get warmed up at all at these temperatures.

I don't think I've seen these issues when the weather is warmer (closer to freezing). Those days haven't been too frequent lately though so I'm not sure. Oh and the headlight, high beams, and ignition work 100% of the time. I've had no problem with them at all.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's because of this bitter cold or there is something going on with the bike. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM

I'd start by checking the grounds and in battery connections to be sure they are clean and tight. I'd also have the battery checked to be sure it's OK. Cold weather is hard on electrical systems and it's been very cold here. I had the battery in my car fail and I had to replace it. It was old and at -15 could no longer hold a charge.

I will say just because it's cold doesn't mean the bike's charging system should work differently so something IS going on and you do want to track it down and fix before you end up on the side of the road.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
To address the 'warming-up' issue - suggest you look into the "Thermo-Bob" from the Watt-man.
http://www.watt-man.com/

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM

How do you have your heated gear wired up? Direct to the battery? Do you have an accessory fuse panel? Are you using a relay?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 PM

Garage
Sounds like either a low battery or bad connections like Time said. Thermo-bob ain't gunna help electrical problems.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Sounds like either a low battery or bad connections like Time said. Thermo-bob ain't gunna help electrical problems.
No - but it WILL help his "engine-warming-to-operating-temps" issues.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Put a voltmeter across the battery and check charge rate, unloaded and loaded.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

After being outside for snow and freezing rain for a few days my turn signals failed completely. As it turns out some water got in there and froze up. After a few hours in a warm garage it was all ok again. I do think the other guys are right about checking your battery out first. A battery tender is a wise investment to keep your battery in shape if it's to experience the cold temps. I try to put my V on my battery tender jr. about once a month in the coldest months here in nyc. I ride every day, but I figure it couldn't hurt since she spends a lot of time out in the cold overnight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode