Masterlink Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Masterlink Question

Hi All-

Recently had my chain replaced. Forgot to check to see what kind of masterlink setup it came with, but assumed at $150 I'd likely be getting a rivet/options. Had it installed by my local shop as it seemed like more of a project that I wanted to do on an NYC street in 10deg weather. Anyhow- I just noticed the masterlink seems: A. to be using a c-clip (which i think is backwards [open end is meant to be rear facing, no?]) B. is then held together with wire?? Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is that the bottom of your chain? If so, the clip looks to be installed correctly; the closed end of the link should be facing the direction of rotation.
The safety wire on there is a precaution to make sure it stays put. When I had a clip master, I wired it, too.

I still prefer rivets. But a correctly installed clip on a properly aligned chain should be fine on a street bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain_Install.jpg (77.5 KB, 1439 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Is that the bottom of your chain? If so, the clip looks to be installed correctly; the closed end of the link should be facing the direction of rotation.
The safety wire on there is a precaution to make sure it stays put. When I had a clip master, I wired it, too.

I still prefer rivets. But a correctly installed clip on a properly aligned chain should be fine on a street bike.
Sweet, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Never thought about safety wiring the clip as extra insurance... Brilliant! Noted to self if ever I get a chain with a clip.

My Grom has a clip and it runs just fine. Might go wrap it with wire though!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Never thought about safety wiring the clip as extra insurance... Brilliant! Noted to self if ever I get a chain with a clip.

My Grom has a clip and it runs just fine. Might go wrap it with wire though!
Yeah- Suppose it can't hurt, right? It's not thick enough to make any contact with the sprocket, so I don't see it being an issue.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Had a new chain put on at the dealer last year. A few miles later went to oil the chain and no clip. Bout had a heart attack. Either never put on or fell off. ( I guess they can fall off but never heard much about that.) In any event quickly went to a rivet.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM

My chains use riveted master links BUT I always carry a clip type in case I break the chain some how. Doesn't take up much space and weighs next to nothing. All I ran on dirt bike for years and years were CLIP not rivet type links and never had a problem

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 02-08-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I much prefer riveted master links for the safety aspect. The master link kit I got with my chain had both kinds of master links.

Looks like they did a professional job with your clip on master link though.

Safety wiring is very important to keep a clip on master link from coming off accidentally. If it comes off the chain will fly off with major destructive force when it is rotating at highway speeds. It also has the potential to bind and lock the rear wheel when this happens.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 AM
ggg

never had a clip link fail in over 20 years on bikes, incorrect fitment as with a rivet link they can both fail, the wire is over kill
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:41 AM

Garage
+1
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Clips never fall off but the internet is full of sad stories.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Put this clip link chain on at 27,000km, at 40k now so no problem so far with chain.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Multiple clip failures noted on this forum......I keep a clip master link only for emergency and have gone to rivet links only.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eferrerid=1947

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Exclamation

If there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of the link failing, you are living on borrowed time!
Also would the securing wire not wear away every time it passes over the sprocket teeth?

You spend all this money on having a safe bike, yet this is an obvious flaw that some people put their trust in??
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
would the securing wire not wear away every time it passes over the sprocket teeth?
The safety wire securing the clip wire will never contact the sprocket. The sprocket only comes in contact with the rollers and the inner links. There is a gap provided by the inner link that acts as a spacer to the safety wire which will not allow the wire to touch the sprocket (if installed properly).

Edit: Just safety wired the clip on my Grom. This photo shows the air gap between the wire and the sprocket:

Quote:
If there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of the link failing, you are living on borrowed time!
Then we are all living on borrowed time. There is always a chance a chain can lock up or break at any time and not be the fault of the master link. Obviously a quality well maintained and inspected chain/sprocket combo will provide better odds of preventing a premature failure.

Quote:
You spend all this money on having a safe bike, yet this is an obvious flaw that some people put their trust in??
I spent an hour or so reading all over the ADV forum, the link posted above by A2RON and others and found a mixed bag of information. The number of folks stating c-clip disappearances and failures are less compared to the folks who have logged many thousands of miles on them on road and off.

I am in no way stating the c-clips are better than properly riveted, nor am I saying they are crap. For those who have lost clips, we don't know the history of the install (possibly backward), or possibly spread too far during initial install. From watching how to videos, they are not super easy install and can be bent if not careful.

Since my Grom came from the factory with a c-clip, and it making ~9HP, I am not too concerned with a c-clip failure. For extra insurance, I just wired around my c-clip today and I will not have any worries of losing it.

When the time comes to install a new chain on my Versys, I will either rivet the masterlink or safety wire the clip.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 02-08-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added Grom Photo from rear
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Banned

Good to know..............

I will continue to get mine riveted.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
never had a clip link fail in over 20 years on bikes, incorrect fitment as with a rivet link they can both fail, the wire is over kill
+1. 35 years ago thats what we had. We rode bush tracks, deep mud etc, Never lost a clip. Just make sure its fitted correctly and do not spread it to much when fitting.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Do not spread it to much when fitting.
There has to be a joke in there somewhere Kiwi!!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
...Just make sure its fitted correctly and do not spread it to much when fitting.
I discovered the TRUTH in this back in '63 when my Triumph primary chain came apart at speed due the clip being on backwards (my FIRST bike...), destroying the primary chaincase. (MY fault.)

I DID learn something....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode