electrical glitches - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
electrical glitches

i'm going to be picking up my brand new 2012 versys in a couple of days. before i take her off the lot i can still purchase the extended warranty. i was wondering if the 2102 model suffers from the same bad mode and reset button problems that i've read about here in the forum. or any other issues i should be aware of. if the buttons are known to go bad i might just go ahead and get the extension and let the dealer with it when it happens. i would also be interested in knowing at what mileage can i expect this to start happening? if i never use them will that solve the problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 AM
RMS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have an extended warrenty on my 09, i , like a dummy did not ask at the time what all it coverd, i should have goten a list of coverd items from the dealer ship before i purchased the warrenty
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 AM

I bought mine in 2010. I never buy extended warranties. My bike runs like a champ 4 years later. I would pass, pocket the money you save and if something does break, pay then to fix it. If not, you keep your $.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Check out other sources for the extended warranty. I paid around 300 to extend another 4 years. I have had no warranty issues, but it is peace of mind when thousands of miles from home. If you plan on hitting 100,000 miles in the 5 years of coverage, it is very worth it. If you are only going to ride 10000 miles over the next 5 years not so much.
On the high end bikes with complicated new features, it is definitely worth it. If my 'kipass' system goes out on the concours , it is a 2000 dollar repair.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
i'm going to be picking up my brand new 2012 versys in a couple of days. before i take her off the lot i can still purchase the extended warranty. i was wondering if the 2102 model suffers from the same bad mode and reset button problems that i've read about here in the forum. or any other issues i should be aware of. if the buttons are known to go bad i might just go ahead and get the extension and let the dealer with it when it happens. i would also be interested in knowing at what mileage can i expect this to start happening? if i never use them will that solve the problem??
Neither my '08 (49,000 miles) nor my '09 (40,000 kms) have had any problems w/ those buttons. BOTH are garaged between rides though....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In my opinion, for the most part, extended warranties are high profit, low risk products offered by third party sellers. Regardless of the product - a home, motorcycle, car, kitchen appliance, electronics - the one who usually comes out on top is the warranty-seller.

When asked if I wish to buy and extended warranty for whatever product I'm purchasing I explain to the person asking the question that if the product is so unreliable that an extended warranty is considered necessary, perhaps I would be better off not buying the product in the first place. Perhaps I should consider a product from a more reliable manufacturer - and from another store.

If you're concerned about the mode and reset buttons (mine have worked without problems since 2008) and that's the only problem you have during the life of the extended warranty then having them repaired under extended warranty effectively costs you the price of the warranty. And that assumes that what fails is covered by the warranty.

My two cents worth regarding what can be a sensitive subject.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I bought mine in 2010. I never buy extended warranties. My bike runs like a champ 4 years later. I would pass, pocket the money you save and if something does break, pay then to fix it. If not, you keep your $.
+1 Same bike same result! No extended warranty!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
In my opinion, for the most part, extended warranties are high profit, low risk products offered by third party sellers. Regardless of the product - a home, motorcycle, car, kitchen appliance, electronics - the one who usually comes out on top is the warranty-seller.
Kawasaki is the owner of the warranty. Not a third party. MSRP is definitely profit for the dealers which is why some dealers will sell it for $20 - $50 over their cost.

I don't carry collision on the Versys because it is too low a cost bike to have collision and my risk of me causing a crash is minimal.

Animal strikes and theft, fire, etc are covered under comprehensive so I always carry a deer pelt in case I need to catch some hair on the bike somewhere.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM

I bought the extended warranty and super glad I did! You ought to have until the end of the original 1-year warranty to purchase an extended warranty. There's a dealer that advertised on eBay, but you need to call for a quote. I went with that quote to my dealer and they matched it. Less than $400 for the 4-year warranty.

I am also never one to purchase extended warranties, but I felt like the cost spread out over 4 years was worth it to me (also helps with resale as it's transferable). It works out to the equivalent of about 4 hours of labor over 4 years. I had kind of a fluke thing happen with my throttle position sensor failing (It was a first for the local Kawi rep) that they covered completely under the extended warranty. It would have cost my probably well over $1000 had it not been warrantied.

Not sure if those rubber buttons are covered, but there should also be threads here talking about cleaning the buttons and someone even recently found replacement rubber switch covers off a Yamaha or Suzuki or something.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Go for the extended warranty and cover the bike for major breakdown. lately there are some qaulity problem with the bike. A friend of mine had a crankshaft sensor failure just after 300km ride and we do have blown engines here in Malaysia, not sure if its batch problem. Better to be ensured with extended warranty. IMHO.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM

Mine broke down on the edge of nowhere at 15,888 miles with a bad fuel pump. Geico insurance paid for the ride home, I paid for trailer from home to dealer. Under extended warranty, Kawi paid for new fuel pump, gaskets, labor, etc. No visible reason why pump died - just did.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...Animal strikes and theft, fire, etc are covered under comprehensive so I always carry a deer pelt in case I need to catch some hair on the bike somewhere.
After seeing the video of the Aussie hitting the 'roo at 109 kph - you should probably carry a jar of deer-intestine-content to "spray" along the side, TOO...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode