Rubbing noise from my V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rubbing noise from my V

Hi all,

Have noticed just the other day a kind of rubbing noise from (I think) the front end. I can't really put my finger on exactly where it is coming from. It also seems to only happen when a gear is engaged. If i leave the bike idle and rev the engine i don't get it. It happens in the low gears and I can't hear it after about 3,500 revs, that might be just because of wind noise etc.

So, just wondering if anyone has come across this in the past. She's a 07 with just over 9,000mls?

Cheers guys, any advice \ recommendations let me know.

E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Have you checked everything to see if there are any signs of rubbing? You know, like worn spots?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

am gonna get it up on the paddocks over the weekend. just hoping it's nothing too sinister and easy enough to sort out.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM

It's probably a brake pad just tickling the rotor. Makes a little noise but doesn't hurt anything.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Heard the same noise. '09 with 1,000 mi. Like previous, was just assuming it was the brake pad. But maybe not.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Noise?

I'm pushing 20K miles and have had strange noise. Low rev's. Mine seems to be coming from my chain. Looks like I will be in the market to replace soon !
I removed it, cleaned it up/ lub'ed it up, and put it back on. 90% of the friction noise is gone.

If you have not crossed this bridge, you will need to break to OEM chain and us a master-link to rejoin. Had I done this earlier, my chain may of gone farther! Ya think?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:25 AM

No clue, try earplugs or ipod, works everytime! JK

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

I have the same sound on my '07 when I back my bike out of my spot some morning. It sounds and feels like brakepad\rotor noise to me. The only thing that really concerns me is that the rotor sounds warped. I really should look at it one of these days.

07 Versys - Ebony
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM

wild guess

Could it be possible that your rotor is not "floating" anymore, due to the rivet-like things that attach it to the rotor carrier being dirty? I think they're called bobbins, and it seems like I heard once that they can be cleaned.

HandKPhil
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Do you reckon I'd have to bring it to a stealer to have it looked at to see if the rotor is warped? It would hardly be warped after 9k, would it?

I have a charity run coming up this weekend and I would like to get this sorted or at the very least know what it is.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epollard74 View Post
Do you reckon I'd have to bring it to a stealer to have it looked at to see if the rotor is warped? It would hardly be warped after 9k, would it?

I have a charity run coming up this weekend and I would like to get this sorted or at the very least know what it is.
I'd check the caliper bolts to make sure the dealer tightened them properly when he assembled the bike, and then not worry about it. The noise is characteristic of drilled rotors. Go do your charity thing.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epollard74 View Post
According to my stealer, my rotors are warped at only 7,000 miles. It's under warranty, but it still sucks being bikeless while waiting for new rotors to come in.
I'm thinking Kawasaki badly botched the brake design and quality control, resulting in brakes that don't always brake so well and floating rotors that don't float very well. There are quite a few posts on here about cleaning and lubing the rivits/bobbins on the rotors; I'm guessing if you let things go too long without doing so the rotors will warp.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode