Hit by bus - Question about frame damage.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hit by bus - Question about frame damage..

Last Wednesday I was involved in a low speed incident with a Seattle Metro bus by the Fauntleroy ferry terminal. The bus driver was ruled at fault. I wasn't injured but am of course annoyed at having to go through this.

I took it in this morning and after a quick discussion with the service manager he's saying there's a chance it's totaled simply because one of the tabs that holds the right foot peg/brake assembly to the frame is bent. The heavy (magnesium?) assembly that holds the foot peg cracked in half where the bus hit the bike. This bent the lower of the two bolts that hold that assembly to the frame. With the bolt, it also bent the mounting tab that accepts the bolt and that is welded to the frame.

To me, the tab can be bent back into place, and since there's two there the assembly can be bolted on safely without issue. At the least someone could weld another mounting tab on?

What do you think? Should it be totaled if that tab is bent? Granted, there is other damage. The muffler assembly under the foot peg was pushed an inch or so into the rear tire. The rear tire was roughed up a bit from this. It fell on the left side of the bike so the left fairing was cracked, the left mirror was damaged, the left bar end was scratched, and my left givi case was scratched up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM

If it were me and I had the option, the bike would be totaled. I don't necessarily want a bunch of bending and welding on my bike it I don't have to.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Would you buy a bike that had it's frame repaired? I surely would not. I would total it. You might get enough from the insurance to replace it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM

If it really is just the mounting tab then I would probably see about getting that welded on and everything that is damaged replaced (including the tire if it's left any kind of deep mark at all).

From the sound of it the frame itself doesn't sound to be damaged but make sure that everything is very thoroughly inspected and measured.
You don't want to get everything repaired and then find out one of the fork tubes is tweaked or the motor mounts are broken.

Again, if damage can be found beyond just a mounting tab and bolt-on parts that are easily replaced, then totaling the bike starts to look very good.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

I'm no expert, but with the lightweight frame of this bike, I don't think I would want to ride it after bending, welding, etc etc.

If your Insurance company wants to total it - then total it. You'll be safer in the long run. (JMHO).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM

If you have the option of totaling it, do so.
A new bike is better than a welded together bike, no matter how small the weld may be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

A bent mounting tab (frame is not bent right?)? Depends on how badly its bent. I would buy a cheap salvaged bike in a heartbeat with a bent tab that looked to be bendable so it could be returned to its normal position.

It also depends on what said tab does in regards to the operation of the bike. I am assuming this one holds your re-set bracket in place? If one is slightly bent and the other is OK I would bend it back and replace the broken parts and ride it like I stole it.

I once bought a used salvaged VFR that had a bent rear subframe (part seat bolts too, labor to replace rear sub more than value of bike). I bent that sucker back in place and rode the crap out of it for 5 years.

Keep in mind the dealership has to put the bike back to the new condition it was in and they are not into "repairing" things just replacing them. I low sided my CBR and the estimate was $4500. Mostly because of a small 1 inch long scratch in the headlight and another in the seat (no tear just scratch). Also the upper and both lower fairings had scratches of which 90% of them buffed out with normal wax. I also buffed out the headlight. I told them I would fix the bike myself (I rode the bike to the shop for crying out loud it wasnt that bad) so the insurance company cut me a check for about $4000. I fixed the bike for $450 and paid off the loan on the bike with the rest. Pretty crazy, I low side and pay off my bike with the check I was given for my mistake.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 08-19-2009 at 12:40 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I fixed the bike for $450 and paid off the loan on the bike with the rest. Pretty crazy, I low side and pay off my bike with the check I was given for my mistake.
That's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

as for the bike... like I said, if they want to total it and get you a new one, so be it.
if not then one small bend or weld I dont think would make that big of a difference...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM

On my dime I consider repairing it. As this should be on Metro's dime, total it out. I can't think of any reason to go with a repair over replacement when cost is no object.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The foot peg holder is cast aluminum... There may well be further damage and some frame distortion at the mounts and steering head. Parts may not fit so well anymore. There's already many expensive parts like the exhaust to replace. Frame repairs are generally avoided for safety concerns. You're better off letting them total it.
How's the bus?

Last edited by invader; 08-19-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode