Blown Engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Blown Engine

Does anybody know if a 2007 EX650R Ninja engine will fit on a Versys? I blew up my engine Friday and the warranty is up. My dealer sucks. I took it to my dealer 3 times complaining of it making an abnormal noise. The first time it was under warranty and they said it was low on oil. They also brought up that I didn't have an OEM oil filter on the bike. In anycase, the bike still runs, is noisy as hell (like shut it off now), smokes bad, and has lost power. Would you rebuild or just pick up another motor off ebay? What is a decent price for a used engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM

from past experience if you have mechanical ability put in another engine in good condition your self.

parts and labor alone will cost you more in the long run than a used engine put in a bike. parst for an engine are not cheap and if you blowing smoke it is atleast rings, with likely scored cylinder walls. so if your lucky you can have them honed to high limit of the tolerance or bored and sleeved, but best option would to have the cylinders replaced. so you need new head gaskets, rings, cylinders, possibly a piston, rod, crank, the list goes on and on if you had an oiling problem. You could also have a valve problem but cannot tell from info posted.

so at $90 an hour to pull the engine apart, buy the replacement parts $$$, check out ronayers.com to get an idea of what a cylinder, gaskets and ring kit s cost, and put it back together you will likely be well above the cost for a used engine put in the bike. i left out the cost to remove the install the engine as that costs will be there no matter what route you take if the dealer is doing the job.

Not sure of cost on ebay but i would think any of the 650 engine would fit but not 100% sure. It is alot easier to standardize parts for kawi by making one engine case the same for 3 differnt bikes.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Getting the engine repaired probably would cost alot. I think I'll just buy a whole engine off ebay and change it myself. It would probably be cheaper and faster.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM

How many miles were on it?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM

I would contact Kawasaki customer support, because if you can prove there were issues under warranty, they should back you up. Not having an OEM filter should not void any warranty, as long as it met industry specs.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Just under 21,000 miles but I ride it pretty hard. The engine started making a noise in the Winter. I did something I shouldn't have done, rev the engine up with it sitting still after start up. The engine immediately made a different noise. I took it to the dealer and they changed the oil and filter and said it was fine, that it was just low on oil. The engine did sound ok after that but I know it did damage. The engine gradually got louder and sounded like the valves. I had them checked and they said they were ok. I then took it back again and they said the camshaft chain might be loose. I then took it back again and they said they couldn't get it to make that noise. A few days later the motor blew. I put about 10,000 mile on the bike from the first time I took it to the shop until it blew. It does still run but you can tell by the sound something is way bad inside the engine.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM

1..The absolute worse thing you can do to your motor, is start it and rev the Sh!t out of it.
2..The absolute next worse thing you can do to your motor is start it. (that is if it's sat for a period of time where no engine parts have lubrication).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
1..The absolute worse thing you can do to your motor, is start it and rev the Sh!t out of it.
2..The absolute next worse thing you can do to your motor is start it. (that is if it's sat for a period of time where no engine parts have lubrication).
I could not agree more.

a buddy of mine just had problems with his bike at the Mid-ohio AMA races. We ended up changing the oil pump on his as it was not priming so no oil was circulating. his sounded like a knock but the valves sounded like they were ticking as well. once we replaced his oil pump we were good to go.

Just something else to consider. i agree with a previous post i woudl contact kawasaki directly and tell them what happened. You seem to have made every possible attempt to have it fixed early on.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A Ninja 650R engine fits, but has a different head, cams, pistons, and ECU... You may as well pull the head and cylinder block if you can to see what it needs. Sounds like a bad piston. There is no replacement bushing for the small end on the wrist pin, but the connecting rod can be replaced if there's excess free-play. Connecting rods' big end and crankshaft bearing inserts (bushings) are replaceable too... Maybe over-sized pistons and cylinders re-bored (or just OEM pistons and a light cylinder honing if wall is intact), new rings and wrist pins would do the trick. Oh and don't start the engine again until it's repaired, before more damage is done.

Last edited by invader; 08-18-2009 at 07:23 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM

jimstandinghorse,

Where do you live? Could be a fun project, i have one clean bench in my garage right now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I live at the very top of PA. I may just wait to see if one pops up on ebay auctions. There's one on there now for $799 but I don't want to pay that much.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Many years ago, there was a lawsuit against an automobile manufacturer (BMW I think, maybe an American company) where the company refused to honor any sort of warranty on the engine on the basis of the owner using non-original oil filter. The owner won. As far as I know, there is zero legal legitimacy for refusing to honor warranty work based on oil filter choice. Dealers sometimes use that threat to scare away potential claims.

Furthermore, I would defy any dealer to prove that a motor died as a result of oil filter failure. Most, if not all modern oil filters will bypass oil if there is blockage.

Finally, if you documented the instances where you took it in to diagnose the noises, then you definitely have covered your behind as long as those visits were during your warranty period.

I would contact Kawasaki USA if I were you. You have nothing to lose.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Warranty issue

The main thing you need is documentation of the shop visits, and the reason for the visit (complaint). The shop ticket should show this along with the date of the visit.
That will prove time of original complaint, and show warranty was in effect at that time.If you have this documentation make copies and go straight to Kawasaki USA
The dealer cannot deny warranty because of non OEM parts, as in oil filter.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
This page will explain more than I can. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects the consumer from dealer BS.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

My warranty was up in February. I took my bike to the shop the first time in January when it was still under warranty. They said it was making a noise then because it was low on oil. I had a non OEM filter on and took it off at the last minute and put the Kawasaki filter back on incase they said anything about it. But, I forgot to check the oil because I just changed the filters and lost some oil which was in the one I just put on. So everysince that first visit the dealer has used the excuse that I brought my bike in and it was low on oil and probably did some damage. When I brought my bike in a couple weeks ago they brought up the fact that I had the longer Purolator Pure One filter on my bike. Then went into a big technical thing about not running a Kawasaki filter and that they contacted Kawasaki and they said nobody has had a problem with the Versys engine. So for everybody out there take this advice. If you take your bike to the shop with any engine issues make sure it has a Kawasaki oil filter on it and that your oil level is good. Otherwise you might get screwed. This is my first and last Kawasaki and I'll never buy anything from this dealer again.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM

In the US they cannot deny coverage for not using their filters unless they give you the filters for free. There is a law called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act Your dealership is giving you the run-a-round. Kawasaki dealerships are bad at this (I really hesitated buying another one). Do not rely on them calling Kawasaki Corp, YOU NEED TO CALL THEM.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree. Take it up with Kawasaki Corp... This guy in Slovakia who had a connecting rod punch through his Versys' crankcase at about 7000 rpm under moderate acceleration, had his engine rebuilt on warranty (he removed the YouTube video showing the rod poking out of crankcase in front, and trail of oil on the road). He was at 12300 Kms (7640 miles).

"I bought it in March 2007... The break in i did exactly what manual said. I dont remember it exactly, but after 600 km i could do 6000 rpm. I do step by step all the things what was written in manual. Next engine i will try dynamic break in (MotoMan). I changed oil after 1000 km, as manual said. Then 6000, and then 11200 (oil, brake fluid, sparks). I use 95 Natural (95 RON/91 USA pump octane), too. It was maintained as my only child... I was told that probably the piston was broken."
"They repaired it well with about 70 new parts. Yes, the piston rod was broken. They said that it was defect of material. They apologize. The approach of Kawasaki dealer was excellent."

Last edited by invader; 08-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in