Bike sat for 6 weeks, now won't start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Bike sat for 6 weeks, now won't start

So I left my bike sitting for a bit. I got a new ride, a MKII Celica Supra, and have been having too much fun with it. So much fun in fact that I left the Versys sitting for about a month and a half.
I went to start it up this weekend and it wouldn't start. Low battery juice. So I trickled charged it overnight. Next day I flip it on and go to start it, plenty of battery, but it just won't start. I held throttle at about half. This didn't do it.
So I let the battery charge up again. Next I tried letting the fuel pump prime about 10 times. Turn the key, let the pump run its course, key off, back on, 10X.
Still won't grab. I can hear it trying, and it gets pretty close, but it's just not happening.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. So nothing has frozen over. The bike is out of the direct elements, under a carport the whole time.
I changed the spark plugs and air filter, not even 200 miles before parking it so I wouldn't think it would be those. In fact I'm guessing it's gas related.
Suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Garage
You may need to drain the fuel and use fresh fuel.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Garage
Did you do anything to treat the gas before parking it? Ethinol is a horrible substance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Haven't had mine long enough to find where the air inlet for the airbox is. When you find it squirt some starting fluid there and give it a crank.

Silly question but . . . do you have gas in the tank. If there is gas there might be some gunk (technical term) in the gas. Something like Seafoam will help if you can get it going. Fresh gas added to what is already there can't hurt.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 PM

I put some seafoam in once a month just as a precautionary measure (had a bike where the intakes would otherwise get clogged over time and it was a bear to start and now I just do it for all my bikes). My versys is my daily driver but I figure better safe than sorry...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM

I've had my bike sit for over 6 weeks full up with ethanol gas and no issues came out of that (I do normally fill with ethanol-free though). I really don't think anything less than a few months really has the chance to gum things up too badly, although I know there have been some cases of it happening, perhaps with lower quality fuel. Gas loses some volatility, but shouldn't be enough to prevent starting in a relatively large engine like the 650 (as opposed to small motors).

Sounds like the plugs might be saturated with fuel. If you're willing to dig a bit further, maybe pull the plugs and check/smell for fuel wetness? If you've got air, spark and fuel, you should be good. Might have too much fuel right now though.

By chance, does you bike have the California emissions canister on the side?

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

No Emissions canister on mine, it's an 08.
Sounds like I may have gotten the plugs too wet. I dunno.
I don't think the fuel would be gunked up. It has not been that long, the fuel in there was fairly fresh when parked.
I'm gonna let it sit overnight, and try again with only 1 fuel pump prime tomorrow.
If that does not do it, then I will be pulling the sparks and seeing what I can do from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM

I once did a top end on my kdx a while ago. Put it back together and it would not start. Had spark and fresh fuel. Worked on it for two days. Could not get it to start.

When I first did the top end job I removed the pipe and gave it a fresh coat of paint and let it sit for a day or so..... A mouse had moved into the pipe and made a home effectively blocking the exhaust. Cleaned it out and it started right up....
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah it's probably bad ethanol gas, besides long term ethanol moisture absorption... Has it rained much lately? What mileage are you at? Was you normal idle speed set to 1,300 rpm?

Last edited by invader; 01-26-2014 at 03:22 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM

" I removed the pipe and gave it a fresh coat of paint and let it sit for a day or so..... A mouse had moved into the pipe and made a home effectively blocking the exhaust. Cleaned it out and it started right up.... "

I too wonder if a mouse or bird has clogged up your exhaust pipe.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Did you check the voltage across the battery? Are you sure the battery is good? A quick little story...my folks have a small riding lawn mower/tractor that wouldn't start after sitting for several weeks to a couple of months. They asked me to come look at it. My first question, was the battery charged? Yes. They bought a charger and charged it. Was it a new battery? Yes. (turns, out it was a year old, but that was new enough to them) Did you test the voltage across the battery? It said 100% when it was charged. Ok, but did you test the voltage across the battery terminals? No.

First thing I did was pull the battery, test the voltage it read 0.6V (it's a 12 volt battery). We charged it to where it said "100%" and I tested the voltage again it read 9.6V. Way too low still.

From what I recall, even if a battery isn't holding a charge of more than 11-some-odd volts that it might not have enough juice to start an engine. This may not at all be what's happening for you, but thought it was worth throwing out there.

Good Luck!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i was in Puerto Rico and the bike was in my brothers garage hooked to a battery tender. Well he wife unplugged it and the bike wouldn't start prior to me flying in. My brother charged it up it would try to crank but could not. My brother hooked the charger back to the battery hit the starter and it fired up. While it was running he unhooked the charger it died. Hooked it back up and it fired up the unhooked it died again. So put in a new battery 3.5 years ago and no problems since...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

So I tried again today and the battery, even after charging and being on the charger during my tries, is just not giving enough juice.
So I think the battery has kaput. So I guess I'll be needing a new one.
I did check the exhaust, seems all clear.
The bike is just short of 50k miles, the weather has been not been wet at all lately.
Invader, I don't recall exactly what the idle was set at but I do know that it "felt normal". I spent so much time on that bike I probably would have noticed if the idle was off, can not say 100 percent though it was at 1300rpm at idle.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Banned

Jump it! Ride it 10 miles. If it still needs a jump buy a battery.
If it won't start with a jump you got another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
so i tried again today and the battery, even after charging and being on the charger during my tries, is just not giving enough juice.
So i think the battery has kaput. ...

Last edited by Seeya; 01-22-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Didn't the 08's & some 09's have an issue with the Stick Coils. I replaced mine with 2010 Stick Coils and have a pair off an 09 boxed up if you need them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Jump it! Ride it 10 miles. If it still needs a jump buy a battery.
If it won't start with a jump you got another issue.

I don't have another bike to jump it from, and I don't think the battery on my 80cc scooter will do it.
Could I jump it from a car battery? If so, I'd imagine I should leave the car off so as to not overwhelm the bikes electrics?

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

Car is fine, go ahead and do it with car off it should start if it's only a battery issue.

Quote:
I don't have another bike to jump it from, and I don't think the battery on my 80cc scooter will do it.
Could I jump it from a car battery? If so, I'd imagine I should leave the car off so as to not overwhelm the bikes electrics?

Last edited by Seeya; 01-22-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes, you can jump start from a car but make certain that the car is NOT running> nasty things can happen to electronics.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
... So I trickled charged it overnight. Next day I flip it on and go to start it, plenty of battery, but it just won't start.
So it does have enough cranking power to start.

Weljo makes a good point... How did your stick coils look when you replaced your spark plugs? Then again, both wouldn't fail at the same time.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So it does have enough cranking power to start.

Weljo makes a good point... How did your stick coils look when you replaced your spark plugs? Then again, both wouldn't fail at the same time.
It did feel like it had plenty of battery after the first overnight of trickle charge... but after subsequent tries since then, keeping it on the trickle 24x7, the battery hits full charge faster and has less oomph every go around.
It's the stock battery from 08. So I suppose a new one would not hurt either way.
I did not really inspect the stick coils when I changed the plugs, but I did not notice anything "off" either. I mean I wouldn't know what to check for other than physical damage to them (cracks, rot, dryness, etc.), but no physical damage was observed.
The bike also rode fine for many miles after the spark plug change. I felt no hiccups in firing, no ecstatic rpm drops/surge, steady idle. I could absolutely be wrong, but I don't think its an issue with the ignition system.

The fuel tank only has about a gallon or so in there. Would it be wise to maybe add another 1-2 gallons of fresh fuel? If I did, would this fuel even get to the point where it would reach the spark, or is the fuel that is currently in the fuel pump/delivery network going to hold put until it is burnt up or drained out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode