SS mesh permanent oil filter- your opinion? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SS mesh permanent oil filter- your opinion?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...il-Filter.aspx

Anyone have any experience with these? Sounds like a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

from the calsci website- Damn, I like the idea...

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi. Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.

These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One. Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.

I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 PM

I've heard both positive and negatives about these filters. Scott makes one, but they are $130. I'm not sure if the price on that site is a typo or not, but I would be cautious. The concept is quote sound, but run a comparative cost analysis if you're worried about pricing. Please keep in mind I don't have a Versys, I have a Multistrada. Mine was as follows: Each oil filter costs me about $15 and I change oil every 3,000 miles. The Scott reusable filter is $130. Therefore, $130 / $15 is equal appx. 8 oil changes. 8 oil changes at 3,000 miles each equates to keeping my bike for 24,000 miles in order for the filter to pay for itself. I would likely trade the bike before 24K. However, if it gives you peace of mind....that's priceless. Hope that helps.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

Last edited by Skeezix; 08-16-2009 at 08:06 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I used a Scotts SS mesh filter on previous WR426F, and have one on my car made by System 1, as used in many types of professional motorsports. All passages are 30 microns wide, and the surface area is the same as in a comparably sized conventional filter. Regular paper element filtering media may have holes that vary in size, up to twice as large as in a stainless steel mesh filter. SS mesh filter has less restriction to flow, and is easily inspected and cleaned. Fine carbon particles get trapped in bottom of pleats, with plenty of surface left for unobstructed flow between cleanings... They're also finned and provide extra oil cooling through the rugged aluminum (better heat dissipation) body.
System 1's 30 micron element is compatible for SAE oil weight of 0-50W, with optional racing application 45 micron for up to 60W oil, and 75 micron for up to 70W oil.

http://www.system1filters.com/oil_filters.htm
http://www.system1filters.com/about.htm

Last edited by invader; 08-17-2009 at 12:42 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM

I have one for my dirt bike., It's a pain in the ass. Too difficult and time consumgin to clean Stuff gets in the holes and won't dislodge easily. I switched right back to paper filters in a hurry. Much faster and they look like they filter better (paper).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM

If it doesn't say OEM approved or Warranty approved don't even go there. Just buy a normal meets manufacturers filters and forgetaboutit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode