Tire Repair Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Repair Question

When checking over my bike I found a very small piece of metal (about the thickness of a sewing needle) buried in the back tire.

This piece is under the surface and there is no air leak so I don't know if it goes all the way through the tire or not. Should I dig it out?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 AM

I'd dig it out just to be safe. I wouldn't want to take the chance of something happening to the tire while riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Yes - dig it out, then use some water there to see whether or not it was thru to the inside (look for bubbles). If so, plug it.
Ed

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Error on the side of safety!!! It would be unfortunate to suffer a flat or blow-out at high speeds in traffic. If for no other reason, piece of mind. Worst thing, a new tire, cheaper than DEATH!!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes - dig it out, then use some water there to see whether or not it was thru to the inside (look for bubbles). If so, plug it.
Ed
actually put some dishwater soap on it, and you will definitely see bubbles on it if it's leaking.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM

If you need to plug it I have had two tires that had to be plugged one for a small machine screw and another for packing crate nail. I use the stop & go pocket tire plugger with the mushroom plugs. Simple to use and and I have road both tires till the point that I had to replace the tire for wear. Cost about 30.00 dollars but paid for itself the first time I used it; as the tire I plugged had less than 1000 miles on it and I road it till over 5000.
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Where to buy a tire without the nail finder in it .
Here is a link of me putting my plug in my tire.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM

This is a continuing question on motorcycle forums. Why are people so reluctant to put a plug in a motorcycle tire when we put them in every car on the road with no question and cars and SUVs can weigh more than 6000 lbs.

If it has a leak plug it and forget it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbox View Post
This is a continuing question on motorcycle forums. Why are people so reluctant to put a plug in a motorcycle tire when we put them in every car on the road with no question and cars and SUVs can weigh more than 6000 lbs.

If it has a leak plug it and forget it.
Because if the car tire starts to fail you risk having to pull off and put on the spare. If the motorcycle tire starts to fail you risk death. You have to put a lot more on the line with motorcycle tires than you do with car tires. That's why not too many motorcyclists complain about getting only 5,000 to 6,000 miles out of their performance tires instead of the 50,000 to 60,000 miles on a car.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Because if the car tire starts to fail you risk having to pull off and put on the spare. If the motorcycle tire starts to fail you risk death. You have to put a lot more on the line with motorcycle tires than you do with car tires. That's why not too many motorcyclists complain about getting only 5,000 to 6,000 miles out of their performance tires instead of the 50,000 to 60,000 miles on a car.
Well how come the rider on the bike wasn't killed when his tire went flat the first time, before he fixed it. Every person I know who rides has gotten a flat and not a single person out of those has lost control when his tire went flat, including myself. So putting a plug in the tire won't make the second flat worse than the first one will it?????

Nope this is one of those urban legends kept going by smart dealers who want to sell more tires. It's only the dealers who keep this in riders minds and those who have fallen for it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM

How long did you ride with the flat tire?
Any time you puncture the tire you risk having damage to the cord layer under the tread. This leads to tread separation and possible catastrophic failure. A plug fills the hole so air doesn't leak out, It doesn't fix any other damage the original puncture might have caused. How many riders do you know of that won't lose control if that happens. I have probably plugged a couple of dozen car tires. Four of those tires subsequently failed at the point of the repair. One was catastrophic. The worst consequence I suffered was a small dent in the bottom of a quarter panel and the inconvenience of having to change the tire. And I NEVER pushed a car to the limits of traction on a plugged tire.
On a motorcycle it only takes ONE catastrophic failure to ruin your whole life. At best, a subsequent failure will leave you stranded, unless you happen to carry a spare tire on your bike. Most don't.
Can you safely ride on a plugged tire? Probably. It is it worth the $100 or so you might save to risk it? Probably not.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
How long did you ride with the flat tire?
Any time you puncture the tire you risk having damage to the cord layer under the tread. This leads to tread separation and possible catastrophic failure. A plug fills the hole so air doesn't leak out, It doesn't fix any other damage the original puncture might have caused. How many riders do you know of that won't lose control if that happens. I have probably plugged a couple of dozen car tires. Four of those tires subsequently failed at the point of the repair. One was catastrophic. The worst consequence I suffered was a small dent in the bottom of a quarter panel and the inconvenience of having to change the tire. And I NEVER pushed a car to the limits of traction on a plugged tire.
On a motorcycle it only takes ONE catastrophic failure to ruin your whole life. At best, a subsequent failure will leave you stranded, unless you happen to carry a spare tire on your bike. Most don't.
Can you safely ride on a plugged tire? Probably. It is it worth the $100 or so you might save to risk it? Probably not.
I run a police garage with over 170 vehicles in our fleet. We probably plug about 500 tires a year. I have been here for 18 years. We have never seen a plug failure in that time. We also have motorcycles same thing applies. In 18 years and over 65 million kilometers traveled not only has no plug failed but we have never had an accident that was attributed to an unsafe mechanical condition so we are not just lucky here. I am not here to argue with you about this. I am simply stating the data as I see it and the data says plugs are a very reliable and safe repair method for tires. If you put a plug in and blow the tire up and it shows any distortion at all, by all means replace the tire otherwise forgetaboutit.

As far as your plug failures are concerned I would suggest you buy a good plug rather than the ones you have been using, those stats are just way out of whack.

Last edited by Thunderbox; 08-19-2009 at 04:19 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input everyone.

I got home that evening and pulled it out with a pair of tweezers....it was that small. Looked like 1/2 of an office staple. No leak so no problem. I do have a tire repair kit and pump and have no problem repairing a tire as long as it isn't the sidewall. Years back when I was young and invincible I did install a patch in the sidewall of my camaro at the auto body shop on base....no garages understandably would. I wouldn't recommend it but funding sorta necessitated it and I was travelling...lasted until I replaced the tire and I didn't baby that car.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode