Givi 451FZ Top Case mount does not work w/ factory sidecases. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi 451FZ Top Case mount does not work w/ factory sidecases.

As the title states "Givi 451FZ Top Case mount does not work w/ Factory sidecases."

Just hoping this concise bit of information will help someone out. I bought the part and it will not fit with the side mounts. Haven't decided if I'm going to return it or post it here in the classifieds section.

This is for the 2010+ Versys.

Carry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you want side cases with top case then you have to buy the side case mounts that work with the top case mounts. Then you can sell your side case mounts here.

This bike is already a wheelie machine so I didn't want the weight further back. I strap a dry bag on the passenger seat. I'm sure I could figure out a way to mount a trunk to the passenger area if I wanted to.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Doing the dry bag thing too. I just wanted extra storage for our upcoming 4 weeks road adventure.

I will fab up a mount. I just thought I'd try a bolt on solution first.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVMP View Post
Doing the dry bag thing too. I just wanted extra storage for our upcoming 4 weeks road adventure.

I will fab up a mount. I just thought I'd try a bolt on solution first.
I have a rear rack from KTMduals (member on here), and 'fabbed-up' an aluminum addition, which would work w/ your panniers. Here's a few pics including a 'local' BC ride, and Chicken, AK on D2D 2013. The set-up has worked well over quite a few miles....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08455 copy.jpg (72.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08451 copy.jpg (55.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08456 copy.jpg (60.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08462 copy 2.jpg (84.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08488 copy.jpg (53.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.jpg (87.6 KB, 125 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have a rear rack from KTMduals (member on here), and 'fabbed-up' an aluminum addition, which would work w/ your panniers. Here's a few pics including a 'local' BC ride, and Chicken, AK on D2D 2013. The set-up has worked well over quite a few miles....
I'll bet it was hard to keep the front wheel down when taking off from a light!

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I have a machinist friend who is making an adapter that will allow me to use this with a generic JC Whitney top case. So I am going to keep it and eventually make a mounting plate for the Givi bag.

It would be a total PITA to do what I'm doing, so I can honestly say it's not worth the effort unless you can't come up with any other solution.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I'll bet it was hard to keep the front wheel down when taking off from a light!
I don't believe I've "wheelied" either of my Vs..., CERTAINLY not from a stop. Probably the total weight back there is LESS than half that of a small passenger. Maybe 40 to 50 pounds.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-23-2014 at 10:08 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't believe I've "wheelied" either of my Vs..., CERTAINLY not from a stop. Probably the total weight back there is LESS than half that of a small passenger. Maybe 40 to 50 pounds.
Mine wheelied during the test ride. Just hit the throttle like I would on the Ninja 650 and up it came. Put a big smile on my face which caused me to choose the Versys over the Ninja 1000.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 AM

?? what year Versys do you have?

I have top case rack and side case racks from givi that integrate for my 2012. They are the monokey series ( I forget but you have to check there is a specific combination that you have to buy, you can find it on the Givi site). I use the monokey becuase they accept the trekker panniers, but for top case I use the v-46.

Technically they are quick release but they needed a bit of coaxing and pressure to fit/click in perfectly though no modification required, just a case of millimetres. So I couldn't be bothered taking the racks off (it's feasible but i would take me about 20 minutes to get them back on) - I just take the boxes off when not needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140124_123707.jpg (24.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20140124_123701.jpg (28.6 KB, 199 views)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 AM

As to wheelies, on the Versys never unintentionally when loaded. On my Er-6N I pulled a 30 foot wheelie fully loaded on the back and a bit unintentionally Dumb thing to do - was venting, which of course is an ever dumber thing to do on a bike.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 AM

Garage
A small hijack of the thread.

Fast eddie....love the fur seat you have there. Awesome stuff.

Cheers.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
?? what year Versys do you have?

I have top case rack and side case racks from givi that integrate for my 2012. They are the monokey series ( I forget but you have to check there is a specific combination that you have to buy, you can find it on the Givi site). I use the monokey becuase they accept the trekker panniers, but for top case I use the v-46.

Technically they are quick release but they needed a bit of coaxing and pressure to fit/click in perfectly though no modification required, just a case of millimetres. So I couldn't be bothered taking the racks off (it's feasible but i would take me about 20 minutes to get them back on) - I just take the boxes off when not needed.
Mine is a 2012 in the yellow (best color)

I've got the stock Kawasaki(givi) side cases and mounts. These are not monokey.

I don't know of any combination that will work with the factory sidecases on the '10+ V's.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I don't know of any combination that will work with the factory sidecases on the '10+ V's.
As you are in the States, here is a link that might help:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catal...gs+and+luggage

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:

The side cases should be Monokey, as the cases are still the V35's. However, the racks are designed by Kawasaki to not work with a top rack. They did that on the pre-10's as well. To get a "proper" solution, the easiest thing to do is bypass the OEM stuff and go with the aftermarket stuff. I believe if you order the side racks from Givi, it should work.

You can look up the part numbers on the Givi Canada site. When I check it for '3 suitcases' for a 2012 Versys, the part numbers are
076-FZ451 (top rack)
076-PLXR450 (side rack)
076-M5 plate (monokey) or 076-M5M (monolock), depending on the case chosen.

I used all Givi/Kappa racks on my '08, and they fit fine.

Good luck,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

We're going to use the FZ451, but we have to machine a couple of small brackets to off set it so that it clears the factory sidecase (V35) mounts. Because the arms will be spread slightly we can't directly bolt up the givi adaptor plate.

For the time being I am going to use a cheap JC Whitney topcase that I have laying around.

I like to do things the hard way sometimes, and I often find that I learn something new in the process.

Eventually I will fabricate a plate so I can use a monokey topcase.

I will post pics of the process once we get underway.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
A small hijack of the thread.

Fast eddie....love the fur seat you have there. Awesome stuff.

Cheers.
Bought an Ikea sheep-skin ($35...?), then added a few places to attach it under the stock seat.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Bought an Ikea sheep-skin ($35...?), then added a few places to attach it under the stock seat.

what do you when it rains?

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
what do you when it rains?
Besides putting on my rainsuit - NUTHIN'! Just keep on riding....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode