Heidenau K60 Scout tyres on Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heidenau K60 Scout tyres on Versys?

Anyone here actually had them on their versys? They sound perfect.

I just found out about these tyres from Motorcyclist magazine. Motorcyclist's Aaron Frank states the following about the K60 scouts:

1. Off road low tyre pressure doesn't affect stability
2. A pair reportedly can last 8000 MILES (I'm assuming the front in reality a bit longer)
3. Not any specific mention of squaring "little center flattening and no evidence of front cupping" (dual sport but not dual compound?) and he says after 2500 miles of hard riding they looked "brand new".
4. They hold the pavement exceptionally well in rain.

Meanwhile Revzillas
seems to state they are not dual compound.

This seems to me exactly the tyres I want for my trips. There's a distributor in Singapore. Now to get them herein Indonesia.... sigh

BUT before going through the hoops tp get them here I would love to have some feedback from anyone with direct experience or someone who knows of a review with a versys shod with these shoes.

Thanks

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
While I have NOT used them, on a recent ride I met a guy on a BMW GS1200 w/ a set. (I'm using Metzler Tourance tires - what HIS bike came with!) He really likes them, said they haven't 'cupped', give great mileage - I think he said he has 8,000 miles on 'em.

Here are two pics so you can compare their looks w/ my Metzlers....

I MIGHT try a set SOMETIME in the future (by reports, my front 130/80x17 Tourance can last 36,000 miles!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02267 copy.jpg (69.9 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02268 copy.jpg (86.7 KB, 639 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
These are not manufactured in sizes that fit the Versys.

The 17 inch rims the Versys comes with are optimum for pavement performance but there are not many off road tires manufactured that fit them. Then again it is not really the most suitable off road or dual sport bike IMO.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-12-2014 at 11:17 PM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
These are not manufactured in sizes that fit the Versys.

The 17 inch rims the Versys comes with are optimum for pavement performance but there are not many off road tires manufactured that fit them. Then again it is not really the most suitable off road or dual sport bike IMO.
judging by the sizes i can see on this link http://heidenautires.com/dual-sport-tires/ you might be right.

I'm not looking to turn my versys into a dual sport, I just hate all the wallowing around when in my travels I run into a gravel or dirt road. At the moment I have Michelin PR2s which do ok, but just ok.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Having ridden a klr with agressive offrode tires my opinion is that it comes down to deciding if you want great off road grip and are willing to wollow on pavement or vise versa.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 01-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
judging by the sizes i can see on this link http://heidenautires.com/dual-sport-tires/ you might be right.

I'm not looking to turn my versys into a dual sport, I just hate all the wallowing around when in my travels I run into a gravel or dirt road. At the moment I have Michelin PR2s which do ok, but just ok.
My Tourances are BOTH rears, 130/80x17 on the front (HAVE to raise the front fender!) and a 150/70x17 on the rear, both mounted w/ the "arrow" in the direction of rotation, running 36 psi F, 42 R. On pavement I corner fairly aggressively, and they DON'T 'wallow'. I went to these after reading reports from guys like "jdrocks" (who used to run them) and others.

When FIRST riding w/ these tires it felt as tho' the bike wouldn't turn, but by 100 miles I didn't even notice it. Absolutely NO concern when the road 'turns to dirt'... in fact I go out LOOKING for dirt roads.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Garage
I recently put on the K60 on rear (150/70-17) and MT60 on front (stock) with about 500 miles on them. While I was very hesitant having mixed tires, I absolutely love it. Lately, I've been doing more adventure riding then ever before with mixed surfaces, gravel and also a bit of mud and sand. The tires have always felt planted and secure. I am no speed demon, but I'm always looking for the path less traveled and now I have confidence with whatever terrain is in front of me.

My past tires include: Michelin PR3 and Pirelli Scoprian Trail Dual. So far, my current set up has given me the most flexibility and if all goes well with longevity these maybe my go-to tires. The only con that I can say is they are a bit loud at first, but no problem once adjusted. I also have a rear hugger and I was afraid the K60 thread would rub against the hugger, but there is a bit of clearance. I will probably take the hugger off and install a rear mud guard (DYI).

I highly recommend the K60 and based on my friends experience on his GS, they will last a while!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcleen1004 View Post
I recently put on the K60 on rear (150/70-17) and MT60 on front (stock) with about 500 miles on them. While I was very hesitant having mixed tires, I absolutely love it. Lately, I've been doing more adventure riding then ever before with mixed surfaces, gravel and also a bit of mud and sand. The tires have always felt planted and secure. I am no speed demon, but I'm always looking for the path less traveled and now I have confidence with whatever terrain is in front of me.

My past tires include: Michelin PR3 and Pirelli Scoprian Trail Dual. So far, my current set up has given me the most flexibility and if all goes well with longevity these maybe my go-to tires. The only con that I can say is they are a bit loud at first, but no problem once adjusted. I also have a rear hugger and I was afraid the K60 thread would rub against the hugger, but there is a bit of clearance. I will probably take the hugger off and install a rear mud guard (DYI).

I highly recommend the K60 and based on my friends experience on his GS, they will last a while!
Cool - a first hand account. Thank you. Sounds like that is a solution. I rarely get above 140 km/h on the roads here anyway, so that sounds fine. I will look into getting the K60s in from Singapore for when my PR2s start wearing thin, and the MT60s I think are available here.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My Tourances are BOTH rears, 130/80x17 on the front (HAVE to raise the front fender!) and a 150/70x17 on the rear, both mounted w/ the "arrow" in the direction of rotation, running 36 psi F, 42 R. On pavement I corner fairly aggressively, and they DON'T 'wallow'. I went to these after reading reports from guys like "jdrocks" (who used to run them) and others.

When FIRST riding w/ these tires it felt as tho' the bike wouldn't turn, but by 100 miles I didn't even notice it. Absolutely NO concern when the road 'turns to dirt'... in fact I go out LOOKING for dirt roads.
Wow that's pretty radical but obviously it works!

Wondering if one day the tyre manufacturers will get with it and produce a proper dual sport 17" front tyre? I have heard all the arguments about the Versys not being a dirt bike tc, it's irrelevant to me. I don't want or need to do any serious trail stuff but if it is to be a long distance tourer with some adventure capability a little more flexibility goes a long way.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM

Continental TKC80 is available last time I looked in size 120/70-17. The Heidenau K60 rear tires that I have seen on my friend's Triumph 800 and BMW F800GS squared off after about 4000 miles. Riders swear by them, but I'll pass. They also complain that the tires do not grip well in the rain. No first hand experience here other than helping them pick up their bikes.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM

i have 2 friends that run them on their super Tenere's and love them. that bike has 19in front and 17 rear. the front tire has a very diff. tread patern than the 17 rear. at speeds under 20mph the front tire growls a bit and will cup out by the 5k mark but still very useable til about 10k. the rear is good for 6 to 8 thousand on those heavy/powerful bikes. pretty good road manners but not a true off road tire. they are a good choice for 70% road 30% off. i would be hesitant to put the rear on the front due to the aggressive pattern and tall lugs.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
i have 2 friends that run them on their super Tenere's and love them. that bike has 19in front and 17 rear. the front tire has a very diff. tread patern than the 17 rear. at speeds under 20mph the front tire growls a bit and will cup out by the 5k mark but still very useable til about 10k. the rear is good for 6 to 8 thousand on those heavy/powerful bikes. pretty good road manners but not a true off road tire. they are a good choice for 70% road 30% off. i would be hesitant to put the rear on the front due to the aggressive pattern and tall lugs.
Wait a minute - you talking miles or kilometers?

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
Wow that's pretty radical but obviously it works!

Wondering if one day the tyre manufacturers will get with it and produce a proper dual sport 17" front tyre? I have heard all the arguments about the Versys not being a dirt bike tc, it's irrelevant to me. I don't want or need to do any serious trail stuff but if it is to be a long distance tourer with some adventure capability a little more flexibility goes a long way.
One thing to bare in mind about running a 130/80x17 on the front: BECAUSE it's bigger, it gives you about the same circumference as a 19" tire, which most true adventure bikes come with, WITHOUT having to change your wheel!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 PM

Garage
figured I would add pics of the MT60 and K60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (98.1 KB, 3216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2190.jpg (105.9 KB, 2213 views)
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you! That is the combo I may be going to this spring.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

They look pretty compatible despite being from different manufacturers. How does the bike handle with them on pavement at say 80mph?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 AM

I have one on the back of my V. Apart from it being completely square due to the complete lack of curves / turns on my commute to work, it it a great tire. I currently have well over 30000 km on it, and there's lots of tread left. Don't think I've ever heard of a tire lasting this long.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What sizes are the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
I have one on the back of my V. Apart from it being completely square due to the complete lack of curves / turns on my commute to work, it it a great tire. I currently have well over 30000 km on it, and there's lots of tread left. Don't think I've ever heard of a tire lasting this long.
Which one, the MT60 or K60?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
what sizes are the two?

Which one, the mt60 or k60?
k60.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM

Garage
I'm also looking to add a rear tire to the front, do we also have to add tubes to some of the ones mentioned or are they all rated tubeless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode