A heads up about PureOne oil filters - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A heads up about PureOne oil filters

Got this off another forum.

Thank you for your interest in our Purolator PureOne filtration products. I would like to take the time and explain why the PureOne filter's are NOT recommended for motorcycles. According to a couple of websites, the Purolator PureOne filter is the best filter for motorcycles, however, these filter's are designed for only cars and have never been tested on motorcycles. In this scenario, these filters will not have a warranty. I've read a few sites about this situation and have read the statement "not responsible for damage to your bike", this should make you leery of using one. One motorcycle mechanic summed it up by stating the PureOne filter is so restrictive that the oil pump on a bike may not be able to handle the pressure. We do have a line of motorcycle filter's at manufactured by Purolator that are the equivalent to the OE (original equipment).

The recommended filter for your bike at this time is the ML16816. You may find this part at Pep Boys, participating Advance Auto Parts or by going to Amazon.com in which you may sometimes get 2 for one.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know should you have any further questions.
Katrina S. Hull

You decide if it's worth it, but in the mean time here is our filter for the Versys. Good deal

http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-ML16...0015424&sr=8-1

fitz

"One day last week I was riding my bike, I can't remember exactly what day it was, maybe Tuesday, around 3:00pm or was it 4:00pm, not sure but I think it was 3:00pm when I noticed the fuel gauge started blinking, you know the last bar on the bike telling you need to get gas, so I looked for the next gas station, right down the road was two gas stations an Exxon and a BP, both had exactly the same price, so I couldn't decide, so I just picked one, after filling up I continued on my way." --fitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM

I donít know about that statement of the oil pump not handling the pressure. Most canister oil filters have bypass valves as do ALL oil systems to bypass the filter if needed. This sounds like a load to me.

FWIW I get my filters from the dealer.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I donít know about that statement of the oil pump not handling the pressure. Most canister oil filters have bypass valves as do ALL oil systems to bypass the filter if needed. This sounds like a load to me.

FWIW I get my filters from the dealer.
I do too, what are you paying turbo?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Crap wrong thread. LOL I think the last one was $12.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM

good, I'm paying $11.00, I don't feel so bad anymore. well I kinda feel bad $11.00 is frickin expensive. I can get a Wix for $6.50 for my truck at Napa, and probably a better filter then a stock OEM Kawi at $11.00.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM

I have that special So Cal price. I may put 10k miles on the V in one year so $24 a year for oil filters for that bike is not bad. The other side of that is I have two more bike that use different filters. Why cant that all be the same? LOL

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:17 PM

which two other bikes do you still have? I'm looking hard at a FJR!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM

I have an ST1300 and the CBR (soon to be my sons). Wife has an SV650S and a F650GS. To many oil filters to keep track off. FJR is an awesome bike. More sport than I wanted in a two up bike so I went with the ST since I donít feel old enough for a Wing yet.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Katrina doesn't know how to use apostrophes properly.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
FJR is an awesome bike. More sport than I wanted in a two up bike so I went with the ST since I donít feel old enough for a Wing yet.
Same here. The ST is a great 2 up bike. As for a wing, great bike for sure, probably one of the best bikes ever made, it's just way too cushy/comfy for my taste.

The FJR and the Concours or the new BMW are all great Sport touring bikes.

I have 3 bikes in the garage, a cruiser for 2 up riding, the ST for 2 up riding and the Versys, which is actually my wifeís bike that I ride when it's just me. But if this track day works out there might be a forth, ALL for ME, Oh yes! Can we say Vrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooommmmm

fitz

"One day last week I was riding my bike, I can't remember exactly what day it was, maybe Tuesday, around 3:00pm or was it 4:00pm, not sure but I think it was 3:00pm when I noticed the fuel gauge started blinking, you know the last bar on the bike telling you need to get gas, so I looked for the next gas station, right down the road was two gas stations an Exxon and a BP, both had exactly the same price, so I couldn't decide, so I just picked one, after filling up I continued on my way." --fitz
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Rumor, fact and innuendo

Who is Katrina Hull supposed to be?

No offense Fitz, but in the quote you pasted in your original posting about these filters, I can't tell when Katrina is being quoted, and when it's some other person that just passed her warning on. What forum did you find this info on?

Do you know (and trust) the person that posted the original info from Katrina (whomever she is)? Can you find some more specific info about the "other sites" that warned not to use these filters?

I've been using these filters on several bikes for a couple of years, without a single oil-related problem. I've had one on my Versys since the 32 mile mark, and I now have just over 2000 miles on the bike. Not saying there's not any truth to your quote, but who's to say that this "warning" is not a hoax?

HandKPhil
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkphil View Post
Who is Katrina Hull supposed to be?

No offense Fitz, but in the quote you pasted in your original posting about these filters, I can't tell when Katrina is being quoted, and when it's some other person that just passed her warning on. What forum did you find this info on?

Do you know (and trust) the person that posted the original info from Katrina (whomever she is)? Can you find some more specific info about the "other sites" that warned not to use these filters?

I've been using these filters on several bikes for a couple of years, without a single oil-related problem. I've had one on my Versys since the 32 mile mark, and I now have just over 2000 miles on the bike. Not saying there's not any truth to your quote, but who's to say that this "warning" is not a hoax?
Here ya go. Only been on the forum for a very short time, so I don't know anyone

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=8158

Seems legit but I tend to be the trusting type

You guys decide, I'm just trying to help

fitz

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Doubting Thomas gets his comeuppance

Well Fitz, I may have to eat my words. I went to the Purolator Oil and Air Filter webpage, and bored down through about 4-5 pages until I located their "Contact Us" link. When I hit that link, my email opened up, and the address of the person at the other end was [email protected]

I wrote her an email with a few more detailed questions about the PureOne oil filters and their suitability for motorcycle applications. I also asked her to check with Purolator's technical/engineering department, and let me know if her original warning was Purolator's official position on the matter.

I'll post any additional info I get here, as soon as I get it.

HandKPhil
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Pureone filters has been used by many riders for the past many many years. I have not heard anyone have any problems with it. That's enough to say that it's safe to continue with the same Pureone filter. I have use pureone filter in all my past bikes and have not had any problem.

I am not an engineer but I don't think it make that's much different between car and motorcycle filter. If it fits, it works.

Puralator probably want to cover themself just in case of any law sue...

Just like motor oil... No motor oil company will recommend their car oil to be used on motorcycle...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 08-11-2009 at 08:11 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Fitz, you are 100% correct the PL1 filters are not recommended by Purolator! Verboten! Evil!

Oh and they are the only filters I use:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM

The Question

So it sounds like a person has to decide whether Purolator is telling people not to use their PureOne filters in their bikes either because of their fear of legal liability, or because they have some reason to believe that those filters might cause damage to your bike's engine. Hmmm....

The guy that wrote the article linked to in the previous post admitted that he had only done about 30 hours of research on oil filters. He also admitted that he was not a mechanical engineer. He sounds smart to me, and most of what he says makes perfect sense, but why is Purolator so adamant that motorcycle owners should not use PureOne oil filters in their bikes? Do they know something we don't? I mean, they should have substantially more than 30 hours of experience in designing/testing their oil filters under every imaginable set of circumstances, shouldn't they? They've had to have tested every oil filter on the market, and benchmarked them against theirs. Contrary to what the author of the article linked above said, I'd bet their engineers know exactly how many pounds of oil pressure it takes to activate the bypass feature on their own oil filters. I mean, oil filters are what they do, right?

The only explanation I can come up with is that some older bikes might have oil pumps so weak that they can't pass enough oil through the filter media of the PureOne filters, and also can't make enough pressure to operate the bypass valve. This would obviously lead to oil starvation, and eventual engine failure. Modern bikes probably have enough oil pressure that neither situation would occur, but since Purolator can't control the vintage of bike that their filters might be used on, they play it safe and recommend against the use of their own products in motorcycle applications.

Some people choose to gamble, and other to play it safe.

HandKPhil
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

My car and two of my bikes all have the exact same Pureone oil filter in them, really simplifies things. I'm not too worried about my ST because I think the motor is probably bigger than my cars motor Assuming the size of the engine plays a significant part. But the Versys I'm not so sure, the oil seems to get blacker a lot faster than my other bike. And exactly how big is the valve on the Pureone?

So if you take all of these facts together, size, color, and the valve opening you can begin to see my logic.

fitz

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

I have a used PL1 filter sitting in my garage (Just took 3 back to Walmart that would have been a good sample). I should cut it open and see what I find.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All the oil filter resistance to flow tests have been removed from the web, for some reason. I did see the test a while ago, and I remember that Fram's Tough Guard filter with better filtering synthetic cellulose media had more resistance to flow than the others including Purolator's Pure One. The longer (3.25" tall) TG7317 version as used by Red Herring, has more filtering media surface area and thus less resistance to flow. I use the longer Denso filter...

Oil Filter Flow Test: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfiltertest.htm
Interesting info on motorcycle oil filters and by-pass valve pressure:
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfilter2.htm

-"The best explanation of the oil filter that I have read is by George Nehls" link is available here: http://www.mgnoc.com/article_oil_filters_revisited.html

Last edited by invader; 08-12-2009 at 01:23 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Hey, if you guys are paying $11 for the OEM filter, why not shell out $14 for they K&N like I did?

Anyone else using the K&N?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode