Stock Horn stopped working - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stock Horn stopped working

Has anyone's stock horn stopped working? My bike is a 2008 model. I used my horn a few times yesterday (a necessity in city traffic). The last time I used it it mst have been on for 3-4 seconds, then it stopped working. It was quite warm and humid yesterday and there was alot of heat coming from the engine. Is the horn a wear and tear kind of part? I check the fuse and it looked ok. I even tried the horn again after the bike cooled down, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Since you checked the fuse, next thing I'd check is the connections on the horn itself. It's out there in the open...maybe there's some corrosion on the contacts. Pull the leads off, make sure they're clean, maybe get some dielectric grease in there, and try it again.

If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the horn switch.

If you have a 12-volt device laying around, or a volt meter, you could try attaching it to the horn leads and see if it fires. If it does, your horn is likely bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 AM

mine is starting to do the same. I will diagnose when I return from holidays.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Try getting another 12V horn to test the existing horn.
At least you will know if its the horn or otherwise an electrical problem.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to the Fiamm High/Low Freeway Blasters or the Stebel Nautilus/Wolo Bad Boy. (Make sure to add that relay! Many threads on this)
I replaced my horn last weekend to the dual Fiamms (mounted under left fairing) and sounds much better. If you find your stock horn to be bad and want to stay with the stocker, you can have my old horn if you take care of shipping.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Rather than spend a lot of money on a Stebel horn, here is the same thing but much cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94117

Here's even a cheaper one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40135

They even come with the relay at no additional cost. That's what I put on my bike and put it where the old horn was. The actual horns tucked under each side of the top fairings.

Just a suggestion.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. I tested the power at the horn with a volt meter. There seemed to be no problem. I fiddled around with the connectors trying to take them off. They were too tough to get off by hand. I put the horn back in place and tried it again. Got a little tweet at first and then the full horn sound. It seems to be working ok now. But I am not confident it won't fail again, especially when I need it in traffic. So I am going to put it on my list of to dos to replace it with something the is a little more weather and debris protected.
An electrical question: Why do I need a relay? Can't I just hook up a 12V horn to the stock connectors directly?

Thanks again,
Colin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
An electrical question: Why do I need a relay? Can't I just hook up a 12V horn to the stock connectors directly?
Colin, if you install a significantly louder horn, a Stebel Nautilus Compact for example, it will draw much more electrical current -- more current than the stock horn's wiring is designed to handle. You'll end up with a horn that's not as loud as it could be and wires that get too hot or even melt.

With a relay and some additional very simple wiring, you create a switched circuit so the horn can draw power straight from the battery through a wire that can handle the load. You use the hot lead from the OEM horn switch to fire the relay (that way your horn button beeps the new horn), then run a wire from the relay to the horn, from the horn to the battery, and grounds for the relay and the horn.

I've done this on two bikes. Not complicated at all. You really only need to follow a diagram, crimp or solder some connections, and find a place to mount your horn. You can tuck a horn relay into the frame tube behind the silver side cover...fits really nice in there.

There are several threads on the forum that walk you through a horn installation. Better to do it right.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode