Sprocket nut replaced under warranty. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sprocket nut replaced under warranty.

We all know the sprocket nut is way over torqued at the factory. I had a crack at my friends Versys using an impact wrench. Nothing. Off to a truck tire place and out with his big 3/4 inch impact gun and big compressor. Nothing.
Order new nut. Now we can destroy the old one and have a replacement ready.
Heat nut with gas flame until starting to blue and locktight sizziling. Long bar on wrench. Loud "crack". Nothing, except the socket has split!!
Bike now at dealers and he has had the go ahead to split the nut off and replace under warranty.
The mechanic said that when a group of dealers from the Pacific region went to Japan, the Japanese mechanics were doing a demo for them which involved removing this sprocket nut. In the end it took a 6 foot bar and three guys on one end and four guys holding down the bike to free the nut.
So if you find it a bit tight, don't be surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM

Wow, and to think I initially tried to take this thing off using the tools under the seat.
I'm glad I managed to do it pretty easily with an 18" breaker bar. It did require a scary amount of torque, though.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
Wow, and to think I initially tried to take this thing off using the tools under the seat.
I'm glad I managed to do it pretty easily with an 18" breaker bar. It did require a scary amount of torque, though.
just had my front sprocket replaced, the guy who did it claimed all Kawasaki's seem to have stupid torque.. much more than other manufacturers he deals with.

normally he takes 'em off with a 350n air gun. Occasionally he can get K sprockets off with that, providing his comprerssor has got the tank to full pressure. however hes now given up on the 350n gun and gone with a 500n gun which works seemingly on all K sprockets. moral of the tale, if you are going to do this at home don't mess around with a girly 350m gun...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Guess I got lucky. I took mine off with my 1/2 inch air impact. It didn't even take that much hammering from the impact. After reading some of the posts here, I had my 3/4 impact ready to go to in case the 1/2 inch didn't do the job, but didn't need it.

Zeph,
Quote:
Long bar on wrench. Loud "crack". Nothing, except the socket has split!!
Was that an impact socket you guys were using. I don't think I've ever seen an impact socket break, not a good quality one at least.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it was a six sided impact socket, but not an expensive one. It had a hard week. My efforts, the truck guys and finally the "bar test". I will replace it with a decent one.
I bought a cheap impact gun a few years ago and it has been great for all those big nuts on clutches, flywheels and sprockets. I feel I have had my $40 worth and then some. It came with a full set of sockets which at that price couldn't in anyway be described as "quality" gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode