got to do something - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
got to do something

Hi, went out on the v for a couple of hours 6th gear at 4000 revs 56 miles an hour, 5000 revs 70, 6000 revs 80 miles an hour, great but changing from 1st gear to 2nd then 3rd is a bit crap, dont get me wrong i still love the bike, everything else is great so i might put the 43T sprocket on the back to se what difference that makes, i think this spoils an otherwise great bike anyone got any other ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm not sure what the problem is that you are referring to.

I always shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.
Heck, I then shift from 3rd to 4th, then 5th and even into 6th.
How is this a bunch of crap?

With the 43T, you will still have to shift it.

Maybe you are looking for an automatic transmission on your bike????

Changing to the 43T while great, doesn't change the spread between gears. It stays the same.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

HI, verry funny, i dont mind changing gear thats part of the fun and as i said i love the bike.but you do have to change gear quick wen setting off,at lights and junctions with bad corners this is not the safest and a bit more momentum in these situations would be better ,i could wind thebike on ( but in those situations its not safe) idont like the the first couple of gears thats all,you changed the (pegs lowering blocks corbin saddle) we all have differant likes and dislikes thats why i use this forum

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM

43T really helps out. Give it a try.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 AM

I also didn't understand what problem you were referring to when I 1st read your post. Are you saying the the gears are too close? Not enough range between them?
I agree that we all have likes and dislikes and we're not all going to feel the same, but I've never heard this complaint. Maybe a five speed would work better for you? Of course that's not a practical change. The V has a pretty wide power band and there should be no problem running a fairly wide range of RPMs in any gear so I wouldn't worry much about just leaving it in a particular gear throughout a corner. Off the line you could probably just wind it out in 1st and go directly to 3rd if that works better for you.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 AM

You can always put a 16t on the front and that takes care of a lot of your problem rather than a 43 on the back. Cheaper also. I put a 16t on the front when I bought it and it makes the speedo almost dead on correct speed.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Have you been riding high torque large cc bikes?

Rap it up. They did not set the red line at 10,500 for no reason. I am not saying you have to run that but this bike is setup to run 4-7.5k with no issues.

I guess you could always go buy a Ducati-- LOL
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM

Run a 43 on mine and it suites my riding style perfectly. Use mostly 2nd/ 3rd in the twisties instead of 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th. The V has a nice torque curve to accomodate the 43. And on the freeway it makes cruising at 75 a more relaxed affair, with the 46 it felt like, to me, that engine was just making to much racket. Yeah I know you can rev the piss out of it, it just feels/ sounds way to busy... And the Givi screen rocks also. At 75 get some wind in the face ( I like that though) but no buffeting and the air around my girlish (210) figure is almost nonexistent...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks mawson (spiderman) (kmahorney) (dallosdon) (contractor) I felt a bit of an idiot after bscotts,comments. I have been riding a vfr 800 for the last year before getting the v and, it felt a bit like i was thrashing it going through the gears even though i obviously wasn't, I think i have been abit scared of the rev counter, unnecessary. Thanks again for your help and forget the ducati i'll stick with the v. lol

Last edited by bazz; 08-10-2009 at 12:31 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM

I did probably 50 miles of twisties yesterday staying in 3rd gear most of the time.
Down to around 4,500 RPM for the corners and up to 8 or 9 grand on the straights. The only times I ventured up into 5th and 6th were when the straights were too long and the engine ran out of "Grrrr" and was saying "Aaahhhhhh" instead.

It's called the "Shifting is for nancy boys" school of riding.

I've ridden a VFR and I think it's actually a pretty comparable combination of decent torque and decent top-end, but on a different scale. Obviously the twin is going to have less of both than the V4.

If you do a lot of interstate go for the 43t.
I'm pretty happy with the 46t for the kind of riding I do, though. You just have to not freak out at the tach reading. It's not a harley
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Hi shatrat, 50 miles of twisties sonds like you had a fun day the vfr was a good bike but i like my new v better. much better riding position for me and feels more fun,it will just take me a few miles riding to get used to it can only take it up to 6000 revs,at the moment still got 100,miles left to run in then i'll try not to freak out at the tach LOL.ride safe have fun.

Last edited by bazz; 08-11-2009 at 05:47 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 AM

Now you're talking.
I'm pretty envious of that colour, by the way.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks i'll put some pictures on if i can figure out how to do it,did 30 miles on the bike today tried not to look at the tach but kept an aye on the mph,much better ride thanks.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Yea, I just had my 600 mile check over and first oil change today. Now that I can go over 4000rpms rapping her a little higher makes the lower gears smoother thru intersections. This is a high rpm engine they say, so as not to push it to far I just zip thru the lows one, it's alot funner, probably get a ticket, but I sure get to the speed limit fast!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Hi its surprising what a differens 2000 revs make,one good thing about the running in period is it gives you time to get used to the bike,my bike will be fully run in by the end of this week,ya hoo, have fun ride safe.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 AM

I had many bikes before... I think Versys is one of my favorite.

Even though it doesn't have lots of horse power like sportbike, but it will move when you want it to... Just rev it up a little... Most 600cc range bike, you need to rev them up a little more than the 1000cc bikes.

Keep riding it, put more miles on it... You will figure it out.

Enjoy your Versys, I certainly DO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi laversys, i will definately put more miles on the v its almost run in 930miles on the clock. waw you have had a good few bikes ,them gsxr 1000 can move your safer on the v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode