Anyone fit a 170 rear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone fit a 170 rear?

I'm getting ready for a couple more trackdays and thought I'd throw on a 170 Pilot Power. Has anyone fit a 170? A PP 170? I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks!

B-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 AM

I have a Shinko Advance 005 170/60 on right now. Works and looks great. Mind you, the Shinko's run a little narrow and flat so the over size rounds things off. Not sure if the PP's will be too wide.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM

Don't the Powers come in 160? All the 170 is going to net you is a possible distorted profile and a slower turn in. No real benefit to running a 170 on a rim made for a 160.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM

I am running Dunlop Roadsmarts with a 170/17 rear. It works just like the 160 for me. No issues whatsoever. It lacks a little of the quickness, but is more comfortable at hwy speeds as the rpm is lower at the same speed. It is probably similar to those who have changed the sprocket to a 43 tooth. I have a lowered versys (speedy's link) and I do like the 170 rear tire.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 PM

I do not mean to sound like a jerk, but, I have to ask, so with a 170 you have slower turn in, as I mentioned, and the tire is actually a bit heavier and a bit more expensive...and whether you beleive it or not, a 170 on a rim made for a 160 is actually pinched so the profile is distorted and your contact patch may actually be SMALLER than a 160.

So what is the real benefit? Lower RPM? Wouldn't a larger front sprocket at a cost of $15 be a better option than running a tire that is heavier, more expensive, distorted and offers slower handling?

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I am trying to give the OP some sound advice, and to me, I just do not see why you would want to run a 170 on this bike, I see zero upside?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:23 PM

I was forced into a 170 RoadSmart due to the need for immediate replacement and availability (Versys is my only transpo. & I had a road hazard issue.) There is a slight ::read, barely noticable:: difference with a slower turn in, but other than that, no real difference. As far as the distorted profile argument, if you read the spec sheet on Dunlop's site, you'll find that the 170 is fine for our width wheel, but IMHO, it is not providing any real advantage or disadvantage.

- 08 Kawi Versys
- 06 SSR125 (mini supermoto)
- Gone (sold) but not forgotten: 06 DRZ400SM, 04 R1, 03 Roadstar Warrior, 03 R1, 98 GSX-R750
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM

My Shinko 005 is acctually a little lighter than the stock Dunlops and has the same diametre (roughly). As for the contact patch it's the same as well. The Shinko's do run a little small and flat as mentioned before so "pinching" them in rounds off the profile and helps with turn in.

I will say, these tires are a hell of a lot better than my BT 020's.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not trying to be a jerk either, but I didn't ask for reasons not to run a 170. I simply wanted to know if anyone had, and whether they fit. If you haven't run one, then you can't answer my question. Thanks to those who have and who responded.

B-
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM

My situation was he same Did Have Cars. Needed a replacement and no 160 available. However, as I have stated, there is virtually no noticeable handling issues. Cheers!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk either, but I didn't ask for reasons not to run a 170. I simply wanted to know if anyone had, and whether they fit. If you haven't run one, then you can't answer my question. Thanks to those who have and who responded.

B-

Welcome to the internet. One thing I've learned, you'll always get more than you're asking for, some good, some not....

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post

B-
lol, I'll remember that when you need help and I have the answer. You asked if anyone fit a 170, perhaps that answer is WHY would anyone put a 170 on unless you had no option. Sure it will fit, and if you want slower handling, a smaller contact patch, a heavier tire and to spend more money over a 160, have at it, enjoy....and while at the track as several racers why they put SMALLER tires on their bikes.....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
and while at the track as several racers why they put SMALLER tires on their bikes.....
OK I have to jump in on this one. Yes I am brand new here, No I have not introduced myself , name mike, and Yes i bought e 09 green versys from the dealer last tuesday and love it. out on about 500 miles so far and hate the seat like everyone else, headlight sucks unless on high beam and suspension is a little stiff, made for 150lb rider I do not think so.

I race an 05 zx6r and have a 190/55 rear tire on a 5.5" wheel not designed for it and LOVE the taller side wall and pinched effect it gives the tire on the track. makes for a larger contact patch at full lean where I need it. I think you may be mistaken about your comment most supersport riders are now running the 190/55 compounds. don't believe me check out a racing forum and ask around.

And just because the original poster does not want your advice don't get huffy. He just wants to know if you have run a 170 on the rear tire. If you have, that might be why you feel the way you do. If you have not then left click you mouse on the back button or next post and move along.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM

I didn't say most, I said several, I know a few club racers that went from a 190 to a 180, but then again I suppose it is a personal thing, no? All I was doing was trying to help the guy from making a possible mistake, and of course different brands will fit differently.

I've put larger tires on bikes in the past where the bike didn't call for that size tire and was never happy with it. Huffy not at all, but sometimes people tend to post things that they did and swear by it, later you find they are 17 years old and been riding two weeks, with the internet everyone is an expert it seems. So, with my 25 years riding, several on the track and with 6 bikes currently in the garage (and over 30 owned in my riding life time) I tried to impart some advice.

Next time, I will not give what isn't asked and let each find out alone.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russo View Post
I race an 05 zx6r and have a 190/55 rear tire on a 5.5" wheel not designed for it and LOVE the taller side wall and pinched effect it gives the tire on the track. makes for a larger contact patch at full lean where I need it.
Can you explain how the 190 creates a larger contact patch than the 180? I am not sure I see how that works.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM

the side wall is taller and flatter(pointier profile) on the 190/55 squeezed on a 5.5" wheel so when leaned over there is a flatter surface in contact with the ground as opposed to a more rounded tire. it gives a slightly larger contact patch. i wish I could draw it but I hope that explains it well enough.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM

You might not be able to get a larger tire warmed up enough to work well. There's more to it than just the contact patch area. 65 horsepower just can't put enough hysteresis into a big tire to get it hot.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 08-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
My Shinko 005 is acctually a little lighter than the stock Dunlops and has the same diametre (roughly). As for the contact patch it's the same as well. The Shinko's do run a little small and flat as mentioned before so "pinching" them in rounds off the profile and helps with turn in.

I will say, these tires are a hell of a lot better than my BT 020's.

I have the same rear tire, 170 Shinko 005. I never had the stock tires, so can't compare but yes, they do fit although barely, the tire is really close to the exhaust tip. About the difference between smaller/bigger tire and everything you will get a hundred different responses, so the only way to know which is better is to try it yourself and decide which works better for you.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russo View Post
the side wall is taller and flatter(pointier profile) on the 190/55 squeezed on a 5.5" wheel so when leaned over there is a flatter surface in contact with the ground as opposed to a more rounded tire.
If the tire was rigid (or under very high pressure), I can see that being the case. But it's flexible, so the size of the contact patch is a factor of load and pressure (in the tire). If the load (be it weight and/or cornering load) is the same and the pressure is the same, why would the size of the contact patch be different?

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM

I recently wore out the stock rear on my V and found a brand new Pirelli Diablo 170/60-17 on craigslist for 50bucks so I went with it. One of the threads on here said 150/70-17, 160/60-17 and 170/60-17 would all work so I did it. It doesn't seem to look out of place on the rim. A bit wider w/ slightly more sidewall is all. I am about to throw it on the bike and will post a pic in a few minutes. If it does end up dropping the RPM's a lil on the freeway I won't be sad about that either since I commute a lot on it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Pirelli Diablo 170/60-17. I will update tomorrow if I noticed a difference from stock but here's a few pics....
On the rim-

On the bike(on my ghetto bike stand haha)-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in