bended H&B crash bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bended H&B crash bars

Hello guys,

some of you probably know about my recent "little" slide on my lovely red V. well, when I counted how many times I fell on the same left side I found out that it has been the case 4 times in my recent 11000km this year...the H&B held so well and I still beleive that is has been the best investment I made on my V.

Now, holding one time is ok...for times is a bit too much so I noticed that left crash bar got closer to the engine will the right crash bar got a bit far from the engine (sorry I'm still away from home and couldn't take a photo but I hope you see what I mean).

after a close look it seems that the connection between the left crash bar and the metallic bar that crosses over the radiator has been squeezed as well.

Now my worry is that if I "bend it back" to its original position it may weaken the whole structure or at least the connection that I referred to above. I'm already stretched on the budget side and can't afford a new set...

Has it ever happen to someone before? did you find a way to fix it without weakening it?

I'm about to get married in 3 weeks from now and my future wife wants a trip in south of morocco and spain (provided the weather is good) so I started getting my bike ready again...

Thanks a lot in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Mine are kinda the same after getting hit by a car. They had been like that for almost 2 years.I didn't really notice it till i had them in the shop to have the Givi lights put on them. The mechanic asked me what i wanted to do and i told him to just pry them out as needed. He did and their just fine.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM

I have a set of Dimotiv Crashbars that are almost the same as the H&B. I have always thought the design was a little flawed, but not enough to purchase something else. It has a strong attachment at the engine mount, and a weak (10mm bolt) over the plastic midfairing, then the upper part of the bar is simply tied to the other side with that same "crossbar" that you refered to. I have often wondered if this was part of the design, to have flex built into the system, or a design flaw. I think I might see if I can weld a tab to the frame near that small little tab behind the steerer tube. This can then be bolted to that crossbar, to give the upper part of the crashbars some beef.

Anybody try this?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM

I ask TT about this one time and they said the bars should give before the frame as they are made of CR steel and weaker than the frame. I think I'd rather bend the crash bar than the frame much cheaper and easier to fix.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode