What the!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What the!!!

Ok have you ever had one of those days when working on the V nothing goes right??!! Man last night my patience was tested and did it fail. So I'm reaching out for some help to someone with more skill than me (shouldn't be hard to find) Ok my family bought me a rear lift stand from Harbor Freight for my b-day.Was all excited to try it out. Got set, lifted the V all was cool. Lubed the chain, Cleaned the rim. Was stoked! Went to let the bike down and took a quick look around and what do I see, a hugh freaking gough on the right side swing arm!!! ARRRGH!! What the! The rubber coating on the part of the lift that cradels the swing arm had torn off and just trashed the swing arm!! What the H..l did I do wrong?? Ok so after I got done throwing a bug eyed fit. I decided to adjust my rear shock up. Got the custom tool that Kawasaki was so nice to provide in the custom tool kit. Hooked it up and started adjusting. Got two clicks up a WAM!! the custom tool slips of and BAM! another nice scratch on my side cover!! [email protected]#$%^&*()_+ What the!! Ok so I put the tools up. Put the V up went in took a shower and went to bed. Hoping to wake up and it would all be a bad dream. So what the heck have I done wrong? Any suggestions would be of great use. I'm not a knuckle head. Have worked on many a bikes in my time. Have I missed somthing? Your help and comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Take your time ,go through the steps in your mind before you perform them. While you are performing the steps in your mind, imagine what could go wrong.Things like slips, drops,parts falling into black holes.

Might not help, but I have found that haste makes waste.

One time I was adjusting the carbs on my C-10 and I had the tank on a small table beside the bike with the gas line running to the carbs. The table was a little too small for the tank to fully sit on, but I thought it would do for the short time I would be using it.

Wrong! I happened to jar the table while walking by, and the tank which was completely full of fuel, fell off and landed upside down on the concrete floor. The tank was ruined , all because I was in too much of a hurry to make a solid place to set the tank.Took a few hundred bucks to correct that mistake.

Sometimes , things just go wrong no matter how carefully you plan. Thats part of working on things I guess. Even the most experienced can have a bad day occasionally .

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM

hey august.........any pic's of the whizzer motor bike ????...would like to see and here about that old classic whizzer.....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Maybe this will help. I sent a 12 thousand dollar check from my insurance company to my mortgage company (endorsed as I was told to do) called them 3 weeks later..they gave me the wrong address in which to send the endorsed 12 k check...now it cant be found....while my newer house has holes in the roof from recent hail damage!! Point is...don't sweat the small stuff man. In the bigger picture...health and family matter. v's are repairable!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Buy lot's of this stuff. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope it's the last of the nicks and scratches for you but if you're working on your own bike it's going to happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg touchup_paint_1.jpg (32.7 KB, 108 views)

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Hey cuff where can you get that touch up paint?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's just automotive touch up paint... Rustoleum's # 7271830 Metallic Silver paint is said to be a perfect match for the swingarm, silver frame, etc. You might want to sand down the gouges first and smooth it out. You can also spray some in a cup, or right on a paint brush if you prefer.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=silver+paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silver.jpg (23.7 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by invader; 08-04-2009 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Last night, I changed the oil on the V and rounded off the corners on the filter. Ended up sticking a screwdriver in and spinning it off. Twice in my life, I bet 5000, ok, 500 oil changes. There are just bad days with bikes. The cheesy shock tool that comes in the cheesy tool kit is, well, cheesy. Get a real one. Then use marine adhesive and glue some carpet scrap to the wheel lift cup. I guarantee that none of this will happen to you again. It was just a bad day with a bike.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks dudes for the advice! and encouragement. Keep the shiny side up!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Better yet, get a set of spools and a proper stand to engage them. Harbor Freight has an adequate one for fifty bucks.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Condolences, but seriously, what Kawa provide to adjust the rear suspension tension is just a bizarre excuse of a tool. It doesn't have any slot to hook it into the rotating collar. It's sure to slip and do some damage. Anyone using something simple that's more appropriate or have modded the one provided?

"Only dead fish go with the flow"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM

+1

I use spools, or bobbins depending on your terminology. Below is a good link for stands and spools. They even make one a combination spool and slider.

Maloy

www.ironpony.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Better yet, get a set of spools and a proper stand to engage them. Harbor Freight has an adequate one for fifty bucks.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also remember this: It's not really yours until you put your first scratch on it!

Note: First scratch can be a ding, gouge, tear in a seat, brake fluid on paint disaster, bent levers, or any other minor blemish that you would divorce your wife or beat your kids over if they were the cause, but simply accept as a fact of life when you do it to yourself.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM

That's my motto, "If it doesn't have a scratch on it, then it isn't mine"

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Well hell I sure do own the thing now! Also noticed a ding I put in the rear shock spring with that ever so special shock adjustment tool that came with the V. Yeah TTPETE going back to Harbor Freight today and exchanging the stand I got for the one that uses the spools. Hope thay don't try to grind me about taking it back cause I'll be tempted to use their rear for a front tire stand. I'm bringing a picture of the scratch on the swing arm for show and tell. Will see if that helps my case.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM

While I was hoisting my V up to lube the chain one of the welds for the spool bolts broke loose. I was not too happy about that; and of course it was just 2 months out of warranty!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM

I tried the rustoleum. Close but no cigar. I found a generic silver metallic to be closer. The good news is, chicks dig scars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's just automotive touch up paint... Rustoleum's # 7271830 Metallic Silver paint is said to be a perfect match for the swingarm, silver frame, etc. You might want to sand down the gouges first and smooth it out. You can also spray some in a cup, or right on a paint brush if you prefer.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=silver+paint
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 PM

If it a small scratch, stickers might be good enough.
Then, it might not.

Good Luck.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode