battery tender connected how long - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
battery tender connected how long

Hi all,

Winter is almost upon us again and my riding season will come to a temporary halt for most of the season. I plan to connect my V to my "brand-new, still in the box" battery tender... just don't know how long it should be connected. I don't have to remove the battery from the bike during the process, right?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM

mine stays hooked all the time when not riding. use the connectors that come with the tender. My batteries stay in the bike and riding mowers.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 AM

x2 leave the battery in the bike with the leads supplied and leave it connected till you are ready to ride again...that is the whole point of the charger.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Exclamation

As a last resort you could've also read the instructions that came with it!!!

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
As a last resort you could've also read the instructions that came with it!!!

Right. Instructions written by a Chinese worker and translated literally - almost as entertaining as instructions translated literally from Italian.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Right. Instructions written by a Chinese worker and translated literally - almost as entertaining as instructions translated literally from Italian.
...did not want to risk losing something in the translation, might just be THE most important bit of the entire instructions-haha. Hence, I am asking for the user's actual experience.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My charger came with a lead that stays connected to the battery and when i need to charge it up i just plug the charger into the connection on the left side of my bike just under the seat.I also have a powerlet lead there also so i can attach a 12V outlet to it and the charger lead i bought a 12V outlet to connect to it also. Just to have incase of need of another outlet. The charger plug has the orange marks on it. So charging the battery is a simple plug in and walk away. Left on the winter setting i have on the charger its just kicks in when needed.

IMG_0062 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM

I connect my battery tender each month, and leave it on for a couple of days, then take it off. Then, repeat throughout the 5 months of Winter. It seems to work, it's been almost 6 years, and I am still on the original battery.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM

My 09' sportster was always plugged into a tender when I had it. For whatever reason, those Harley batteries didn't like it when it wasn't. Kinda makes ya wonder if Harley knew this, as it already had a pigtail connected to it when purchased. The tender will keep the battery fresh.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM

Leave it hooked when not riding. Just don't forget to unplug it when you ride off. Ask me how I know.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Garage
The Battery Tender brand ones have a smart brain that moniters the battery condition and charges accordingly. I plug in when I park the hike for winter and dont touch it. I rarely charge the bike during riding season.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
My 09' sportster was always plugged into a tender when I had it. For whatever reason, those Harley batteries didn't like it when it wasn't. Kinda makes ya wonder if Harley knew this, as it already had a pigtail connected to it when purchased. The tender will keep the battery fresh.
My buddy had a new battery put in his harley. One day it didn't start so we checked and cleaned all the connections. He got the battery from the harley dealership when he had it in for service. I noticed it was a Drag Speciality battery and also noticed it was made in Vietnam. When he saw that he lost his freaking mind.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Once after wintering in AZ, on my return north I found my KLR battery had gone dry while hooked to a battery tender (for 6 months), so it got a new battery.

NOW I always run my tenders thru a 24 hour timer set to come on for ONLY 15 minutes in 24 hours.

My batteries always show full-charge when I pull them off the tenders.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM

That's a great idea, Eddie.

There have been a few msgs on ADVRIDER about Battery Tender, Jr's killing batteries when left plugged in for days.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Once after wintering in AZ, on my return north I found my KLR battery had gone dry while hooked to a battery tender (for 6 months), so it got a new battery.

NOW I always run my tenders thru a 24 hour timer set to come on for ONLY 15 minutes in 24 hours.

My batteries always show full-charge when I pull them off the tenders.
Yep - that's why I charge mine 2 days per month during the winter. 6 years and the orginal battery is still going strong.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Just another option.

If you have a powerpoint installed on your V to power your devices, you could wire the battery charger to a cigarette plug (male end, available everywhere) and use your powerpoint to charge the battery. That way, you don't even have to remove the seat. Works for me.

Not that the seat is hard to remove... Ha Ha
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM

I use the small plug/socket that I installed for powering my heated clothing. Works great. It's best to cover the socket when not in use, so it won't corrode. Been there, done that.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Garage
Slightly off thread but, my bike sleeps in the heated garage during winter
I have had the bike since nov. 2009 and I've never put a tender on my battery

So far so good

Of course, Murphy's law is going to apply this year and my bike won't start in spring ...

LOP
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm just happy that the versys has a big battery even though the engine is relatively small with relatively low compression. I bought the versys after getting fed up with the teeny tiny battery in my 2008 cbr1krr, which has a relatively large engine and relatively high compression. It is not that happy about starting in winter and that's compounded with my use of electric gear.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I connect my battery tender each month, and leave it on for a couple of days, then take it off. Then, repeat throughout the 5 months of Winter. It seems to work, it's been almost 6 years, and I am still on the original battery.
Me too. I don't like leaving anything plugged in too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode