Fuel injector cleaner - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel injector cleaner

Anyone use them on a regular basis? Also, other than the screen on the injector pump, is there any fuel filter?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As illustrated on page 3-90 in the service manual:
"Pump Screen, Fuel Filter Cleaning.
○The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be cleaned or checked. If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged, replace it with the fuel pump as a set."

I add 1 ml of Lucas fuel conditioner & upper cylinder lubricant to every liter of gas (1:1000) that goes in my tank. (1.28 ounce per 10 gallon) It increases the life of pumps and injectors, and also improves fuel efficiency. I use it in my car too and noticed a marked improvement...
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment

Last edited by invader; 04-01-2010 at 01:42 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM

+1 to invader's recommendation. I don't do every tank, but I add some periodically. You can buy a gallon of the stuff at most auto parts stores. I bought the gallon plus the small bottle. I reuse the little bottle to carry a small amount with me to the pump when I want to add some. It might be snake oil, but it makes me feel and it doesn't cost much.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM

I've heard of adding Marvel Mystery oil, does anyone have any experience with it? I have a fear of carbon build up in the cylinders by adding "OIL"
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Great info Invader, is that a Kawasaki Versys service manual, and how much will
the stealer want for one?

My Album:
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Use 3M fuel injector cleaner once in a blue moon.
Works fine.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl50F4KM98BLbl

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
As illustrated on page 3-90 in the service manual:
"Pump Screen, Fuel Filter Cleaning.
○The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be cleaned or checked. If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged, replace it with the fuel pump as a set."

I add 2 ml of Lucas fuel conditioner & upper cylinder lubricant to every liter of gas that goes in my tank. (2 ounces per 10 gallon) It increases the life of pumps and injectors, and also improves fuel efficiency. I use it in my car too and noticed a marked improvement...
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment
Well, this sounds like a must try.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Every 4th tank or so, I throw in some Sea Foam.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Try Seafoam. I've used it in all my bikes, mowers, and cars for the last 20 years with great results.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM

That SeaFoam just reminds me of the floating white frothy foam that builds up by the sea shore, but is a 100% pure petroleum product that is said to be pretty good stuff.

Last edited by invader; 07-23-2009 at 12:00 AM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM

I work in a shop and and we never NEVER suggest injector cleaner or fuel aditives , they can do more harm than good in some cases...

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM

So when is it safe to start adding seafoam to fuel and oil? Should I wait until after the break in period ~2k miles, or would it make a difference to start sooner? How about in the oil changes? Add it to the 600m that's coming up or wait?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 AM

The whole thing doesn't really make sense to me. I see it as a feel-good measure that won't really help anything.

Gasoline has detergents in it to prevent deposits on injectors and other components.
For that matter, motor oil also contains detergents to capture soot and dirt floating in the oil.

I feel safer running oil and fuel I trust in the first place, than putting in additives that Kawasaki, Mobil 1, and Exxon didn't have in their calculations when they were coming up with their products.

Just because you run additives for 100,000 miles doesn't mean it helped any. I suspect your average modern vehicle would go 100,000 miles on cheap fuel from rusty barrels in sub saharan africa and cheap bulk SAE oil.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex182 View Post
So when is it safe to start adding seafoam to fuel and oil? Should I wait until after the break in period ~2k miles, or would it make a difference to start sooner? How about in the oil changes? Add it to the 600m that's coming up or wait?
Just use quality oil like mentioned. I did a quick break-in and changed the oil at 150 miles, then switched to Amsoil synthetic at 1300 miles when I started adding Lucas fuel conditioner to the gasoline. I'll just reduce the ratio from 2 ounces to about 1 ounce per 10 US gallons of gasoline (2 to 4 ounces Lucas recommended)... It is thicker than Marvel's fuel additive which recommends 4 ounces per 10 gallons. It does more than pay for itself in fuel economy alone, in motorcycle and car as well.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Most gasoline company have all kind of cleaning additive in their gasoline nowadays, I don't think adding gas treatment is necessary. Probably just a waste of money.

A few years ago, I read somewhere online that carbon build up in the engine around 5000 miles or so. I used to add injector cleaner right before my next oil change just to clean things up a little.

Can someone confirm for sure whether our gasoline now can clean engine better than before?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 07-25-2009 at 05:34 AM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 AM

Shell now has nitrogen enriched gasolines, to help keep valves and combustion chamber cleaner... Still, my fuel mileage is up by at least 5% when I add 2 ounces of Lucas fuel treatment per 10 US galllons of gasoline. That's enough to pay for itself nearly 3 times, as I get 4 gallon cases for less...
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Shell now has nitrogen enriched gasolines, to help keep valves and combustion chamber cleaner... Still, my fuel mileage is up by at least 5% when I add 2 ounces of Lucas fuel treatment per 10 US galllons of gasoline. That's enough to pay for itself nearly 3 times, as I get 4 gallon cases for less...
Just wondering... How much are these Lucas stuff? Where can I get them? I had never heard of them... I don't go to autopart store as often as I used to...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Any auto parts store. Walmart might even have it...

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Lucas Oil is based in Corona, California. Their products are available at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Napa, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Carquest, PEP Boys, Checker, Shucks, Kragen, Murray's and CSK Auto Parts Stores nationwide... Find your nearest retailer here: http://www.lucasoil.com/retailers/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode