Harbor Freight rear wheel lift - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Harbor Freight rear wheel lift

I bought some 10mm spools and a rear wheel lift from Harbor Freight. Put the spools on and then went to lift the wheel, but the "Arms" coming out of the lift are just rectangular, rubber covered pieces that don't really "grab on" to the spools. Almost seems like the could just roll right off. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 PM

If its what I'm thinking you have, you don't need spools. The rectangular channels go under each swing arm.

This the one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66192

You can also get parts for the front forks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65621

Or this one which you can use with spools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99701

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Arrgghh!! Thanks Machdog. Yup, I bough the first one you linked to there. So I guess I didn't need the spools afterall. Thanks.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:22 PM

I have the last one with spools, works just fine.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 AM

that caught me out on the paddock stand too...

the version you've got works fine providing you don't have anything under the swinging arm.. unfortunately I do (as Scottoiler)

i took me ages to realise I'd bought the wrong one.....
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Go back to Harbor Freight and get the accessory spool adapters they sell for it. They're cheap.

jnor likes this.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM

ttpete is correct, they are 10 bucks, they also have a front lift to easily clean wheels and change tires. It must be used along with the rear lift.

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
To much fire power to list
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

But if the one I got will work on the swingarm WITHOUT spools, isn't that just as good? Also, do you need to have someone straighten the bike up when you put the lift underneath? Can't quite get in under there with the bike on the sidestand.....
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM

The bike will be a little more stable when locked on the spools, they are worth it for me. to keep the other type around will be handy in the future, some bikes don't have the threaded bong for spools, KLRs are one example.

First time you use either type have some help, you will need to find the proper width to set the lift arms/spool lift. I use a 2x4 under the side stand, helps alot.

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM

great find on that site I've never heard of them and Im in the market for both spools and a lift (tired of pay for chain tightening)

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.....I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site. I don't want to shell out another $40 for an entirely new lift (I got the other lift that was a little more expensive). Do you know for a fact that they sell just the spool adapters there?
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
tired of pay for chain tightening
Hope you are not doing too much of this? I have just over 20k on my chain and have adjusted (tightened) it once. If you lube every 300-400 miles it shouldn't need adjusting much. I highly recommend this stuff, as do much smater people than I, including www.webBikeworld.com.

Quote:
I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site
Don't think they make spool adapters. You can get adapters for front wheel lift. But the black coated channels you have work just as well as spools. I have both because I wanted to put the front adapters on 'your' stand.

Machog
jnor likes this.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Yeah Im now using a product called Tri-Flow that contains PTFE. a.k.a Teflon

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Hmmm.....I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site. I don't want to shell out another $40 for an entirely new lift (I got the other lift that was a little more expensive). Do you know for a fact that they sell just the spool adapters there?
I have seen these parts in the store, Is there a store near by you? The sales guy said they are starting to get alot of M/C stuff. I should be going to the HF store this weekend or sooner, check the website again, if you can't find them I'll pick them up and mail them to you. I think they are $10 + about $1 az sales tax, (actually .88 cent) + shipping usps priority $8?? Is it worth it?
Email me if I can help [email protected] .

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 PM

I haven't changed my oil yet. Can oil be completely drained (you know, with the shape of the oil pan & all) using only a rear stand, or do I need both front & rear to keep it level? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66926

I got them and the stand. The stand came in quickly, the spools were mailed to me and took ~ 2 weeks to get.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
I haven't changed my oil yet. Can oil be completely drained (you know, with the shape of the oil pan & all) using only a rear stand, or do I need both front & rear to keep it level? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You need only the rear stand.

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom View Post
You need only the rear stand.
Yeah, I ordered these plus the rear stand, hoever the rear stand just has rubber covered "channels" that apparently just fit underneath the swingarm "As-is". Thanks for the help guys.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM

I just picked up the stand that goes under the swingarm and when I go to lift it the bike is sitting crooked. The swingarm is on a different angle on each side. I guess I'll take it back and get the one for spools.

Jeff

2009 Lime Green Versys (the fast one)

We're losing our country, does anyone care?

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecking View Post
I just picked up the stand that goes under the swingarm and when I go to lift it the bike is sitting crooked. The swingarm is on a different angle on each side. I guess I'll take it back and get the one for spools.
Put a 2x4 under the sidestand, the bike will be almost standing streight up. Adjust the lift arms to the proper distance apart to fit under the swingarm, position the lift arms just behind the threaded bongs that would hold the spools, this will keep the bike from sliding forward on the swingarm. Its safer to have someone hold the bike up the first few times you use it.

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode