Odd Fault - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Odd Fault

I have a 2012 V with around 3k miles on it. Recently I have noticed 3 occasions when the bike's trip odometers and clock have reset while the bike was sitting after being ridden. I believe this has happened once overnight and twice while the bike sat at my place of work. It seems like a situation where the connection between the battery and ECU/ignition system(?) is momentarily lost, but it's happening while the bike is off and stationary. Has anyone had a similar fault in the past, or any ideas about where to start the trouble-shooting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:52 PM

I'd check my battery terminals first. Follow the wires from there and see if you can find anything loose.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Did you notice if it was already reset when turning ignition on and before starting engine?

Make sure your battery terminal connections are tight, and that the battery is in good state of charge.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM

Sounds a little like Steven King's "Christine"...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM

Yup...check the battery connections. Also check the battery itself. Minor electrical draws like the clock or memory for a trip meter can mess with a battery that's on the way out. Just because it's pretty new doesn't mean it's not failing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Exclamation

I can tell you that when your battery gets really *low that DOES NOT interfere with the trip meter, even if someone would have you believe different!

*low enough to not start the 'bike.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Perhaps a plug issue behind the dash or dash circuitry itself
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 AM
RMS

I know that this is way out there in left feild, BUT , my 2008 chevy colbalt when i put in crappy gas the CK engin light will come on and the trip B on the odo meter will reset to 0 this hapens almost every time that i buy gas at that place. I no longer buy gas there. also some where in the forum there is a post about fuel aditives for our bikes. as i said , this is out there in left feild but it cant hurt to try the aditives.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
I know that this is way out there in left feild, BUT , my 2008 chevy colbalt when i put in crappy gas the CK engin light will come on and the trip B on the odo meter will reset to 0 this hapens almost every time that i buy gas at that place. I no longer buy gas there. also some where in the forum there is a post about fuel aditives for our bikes. as i said , this is out there in left feild but it cant hurt to try the aditives.
Yup, left field alright

Back to the idea of battery causing the trip meter to reset, I'm no so sure. E.g. If your battery drops that much you wouldn't be able to start the bike. These maintenance free batteries are pretty bullet proof. I left my ignition on for hours once after using the kill switch (long story involving major distraction and liberal dose of stupidity) and the lights were on. It wouldn't start, was completely dead. But I waited a few hours and it came back. Even thought the battery had gone completely flat, the trip meters etc where fine, but I did have to reset the clock a bit.

When I could use the horn I thought I was ready to roll, but I had to wait an additional hour.The ignition and fuel injection etc will refuse to function even if you can still sound your horn loud and clear if the battery drops. I'd tell your dealer to get the whole set replaced, still under guarantee.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Last edited by tropicalbikey; 11-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 AM

Look for a loose battery post connection, then check all the way up the connection path. I've had mine come loose, possibly because I do have additional items attached at the post connections.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input. It hasn't happened again so that kind of kills the whole troubleshooting. I did check the battery connections first and everything seems solid. The bike has started without issue each time and I ride pretty much every day, so a low charge doesn't seem likely. It only happened those two (or three?) times, and it was pretty cold when it happened, but it hasn't happened since and it's been colder. I haven't followed the connection all the way to the ignition, or wherever it goes, but it seems pretty likely to me that if it occurs again, that must be where the fault lies. I hate just leaving it and acting like the problem just went away, but that's more or less how it seems. I know electrical faults don't just resolve themselves though, so I'll probably be back on here asking again before long.

Last edited by mushin; 11-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The fault did not "just go away" of course, but happened several times as soon as it got warm enough to ride again.

For the record, the fault was:

Key in ignition, turn to on, everything is fine. Clock and trip odometers retained info. While pressing the starter button the clock and trip odometers would occasionally reset, often (always?) with the tach needle pegging again during the start. The bike would almost always start on the first attempt but would occasionally require a second push on the starter button. It has been cold, obviously, but not particularly cold when experiencing the issue. In fact, if anything it happened more when I would start it after work than in the morning on the way in.

It should also be mentioned at this point that I previously started another thread on this forum about how my '12 versys starts more sluggishly than my '08 used to. You probably know where this is going by now.

I replaced the battery as a first attempt to address the issue and a weak battery seems to have been the cause of both issues. The '12 now starts every bit as quickly and vigorously as my '08 did (RIP), and the clock/trip odometer reset issue has not happened since. Lucky thing too, as replacing the battery is pretty much the only electrical task I feel confident attempting.

I bought the '12 when '13s were already out. I really, really loved the white on the '13s but got a much better deal on the yellow '12. I suspect now that the battery went bad through inactivity sitting on a showroom floor for a year.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin View Post
I suspect now that the battery went bad through inactivity sitting on a showroom floor for a year.
Yep, that sounds exactly right. Weak batteries can cause all sorts of weirdness.
I had a weak battery on last bike (Concours) but didn't know it, everything worked except a cold start (in summer). Starter would spin the engine just fine, but no go. I put 2amp charger leads on the battery, plugged it in and pushed the starter button, and it instantly started the bike, with no charge time whatsoever. A new battery solved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode