Tourances - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tourances

I routinely get 10,000 miles out of a set of Tourances, so today we installed a set on my Versys, front 130/80, rear 150/70. The front fender had to be raised 2 3/4 inches, my buddy Scott designed a custom fender riser, the stainless steel brake lines were made by Spiegler (no extra charge for the 7 inch extension for the crossover). I have a Hyperpro suspension on order but it seems to handle OK as is. jdrocks, thanks for the sage advice.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That looks pretty good... You now have considerably more tire to fender clearance than stock. Is there still enough clearance above the fender if suspension bottoms out?
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That looks pretty good... You now have considerably more tire to fender clearance than stock. Is there still enough clearance above the fender if suspension bottoms out?
We checked that before mounting the fender, no problems.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM

I've seen JDrocks bike it looks awesome imo ( i put a pic of it under "Naked Versys Pics", after the black one) ..i'm assuming thats a rear tire you have used on the front, is that an issue at all?
also any chance of a close up on the extender fender post thingamedoodad?
cheers
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
I've seen JDrocks bike it looks awesome imo ( i put a pic of it under "Naked Versys Pics", after the black one) ..i'm assuming thats a rear tire you have used on the front, is that an issue at all?
also any chance of a close up on the extender fender post thingamedoodad?
cheers
I don't think that the rear tire on the front is an issue, jdrocks says to expect 12,000 miles on the 130/80 (he is the expert on this set up). Scott made the front fender riser from 1 inch by 1/8 inch aluminum bar. Hope this helps.

Gary

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Hi everyone! This is great info! I'm looking at new tires in about 2k miles and I'd really like to have the 130 rear up front. Doing some quick research leaves me with a question.... Does the rear tire have to be mounted backwards from the directional arrow if it's installed in the front?
Any help is greatly apprecited!!
Phil
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks JD!! I was reading another thread that was suggesting mounting it reversed, which didn't make much sense to me. Anyway, I think I have all I need from all of your previous posts! Much appreciated for a rookie, such as myself!!!!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Shoot, sorry, one last question. I love the look of the Tourances, but I won't be doing much dirt riding. Probably just once a month or so when I visit my bro in the mountains. How are these tires on regular pavement, dry and wet?
Thanks!
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillius33 View Post
Hi everyone! This is great info! I'm looking at new tires in about 2k miles and I'd really like to have the 130 rear up front. Doing some quick research leaves me with a question.... Does the rear tire have to be mounted backwards from the directional arrow if it's installed in the front?
Any help is greatly apprecited!!
Phil
When you mount a "rear type tire" on the front, you will obtain more braking traction if you reverse mount the tire.

The reason for this is - the tread in a rear type tire has a V type pattern in it. When mounted correctly on the rear wheel, the V points to the rear (when on the ground). When you open the throttle, the point of this V digs into the dirt, which gives you more traction, which allows you to accellerate forward. Farm tractor tires work the same way, just check one out next time you see one.

When you put a "rear type" tire on the front wheel, there is no need for it to provide traction to accellerate, since your front wheel is not connected to your engine. But, at times, the front wheel is needed to slow your bike down. It can best do that (in the dirt) by having the point of the V in the tread (on the ground) pointing forward. And in order to do that, you end up installing it as "reverse rotation" as shown on the sidewall.

You can install it however you like though. Its your choice.

S'ok?
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM

I actually have a brand new set of these on a shelf in my garage. I'm just waiting to wear out the current sneakers and these are going on.

I agree and understand what trialsguy is saying about the directional forces placed on the tire by reverse-mounting the rear tire on the front of the bike.

However, by mounting it backwards, I would be more concerned as to how the "V type" pattern in the tire contacts the road and disperses water in wet riding. I would guess that mounting the tire backwards would more likely pull water to the center of the tire instead of dispersing it to the outside, causing loss of traction, or even hydroplaning. I think I'll mount it going the normal direction as I know I will be riding in all sorts of weather this year.

Curse them for making such a great tire in the wrong sizes. There would be a lot of happy V and Tiger riders out there if they just did a 17 in front. I guess we'll go on unnoticed to them unless we have this on the side of our tanks.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (26.3 KB, 110 views)
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:29 AM

That is ONE!!! serious front tyre there!!!! WOW...
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
this reverse rotation stuff gets repeated every so often, almost in the urban myth category now.

the tread is designed by the manufacturer to operate in standard rotation (with the arrow). traction, braking, heat, noise, wear, squish, and so on, whatever their design criteria are.

we already know this tourance tire is an exceptional performer, but mount it backwards and all bets are off.

gary started this thread when he mounted his 130/80-17 tourance prior to departing for south america. he has made the turn and is headed back north with over 20,000 miles on that same tire-mounted standard rotation.
JD,
I have 21,514 miles on the front Tourance, I agree there in so reason to reverse these tires, I'm now thinking I could see 30,000 miles on it. I got 11,400 miles on my first rear Tourance, the second one has made it to 10,000 miles but I have to replace it soon. I found a rear Trailwing at Dakar Motors here in Buenos Aires http://www.dakarmotos.com/ I may have to buy it if I can't find a Tourance.
I need your expertise, I know I just said there is no reason to reverse the tire, 20,000+ miles proves that but I am starting to see some cupping. What do you think about reversing the front tire to counteract the cupping? It is just a thought. I'm heading back to Chile then back up to Lima in a few days.

Gary

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
JD,
I have 21,514 miles on the front Tourance, I agree there in so reason to reverse these tires, I'm now thinking I could see 30,000 miles on it. I got 11,400 miles on my first rear Tourance, the second one has made it to 10,000 miles but I have to replace it soon. I found a rear Trailwing at Dakar Motors here in Buenos Aires http://www.dakarmotos.com/ I may have to buy it if I can't find a Tourance.
I need your expertise, I know I just said there is no reason to reverse the tire, 20,000+ miles proves that but I am starting to see some cupping. What do you think about reversing the front tire to counteract the cupping? It is just a thought. I'm heading back to Chile then back up to Lima in a few days.

Gary

Hmmm... So in other words, we now have a database of one rider.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
JD,

Gary

Well, I'm sold...

(Almost)
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
well...at least two. i got 9500 on the rear and am still using the front 130/80, that hardly shows 50% wear. coin in the 130/80 tread with 9500 miles on it. the tire in back is a 150/70.

mounted with the arrow, of course.

take a look at this tread pattern and imagine it running backwards. on a wet road, you might as well have a waterski on the front.

advising reverse rotation on these tires is just plain irresponsible. someone might actually do it.
I will be the first to admit that I am an amateur when it comes to tire design and tire use. I am just going by 40 years of past experience in recreational motorcycle riding.

So what does the manufacturer say about mounting one of their rear tourances on the front wheel? Perhaps the people who designed this tire can better answer this question than you or I.

We are just shootin' in the dark at this point.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Also, for the Versys Forum members out there in keyboard-land - keep in mind that this entire forum is just a collection of personal opinions, personal observations, ideas, advice and anecdotal evidence.

Take whatever information you think you can safely use, and leave the rest.

And if you see a video of a guy on a website, doing a wheelie at 80 mph down a crowded interstate highway, you alone can decide if that would be something that you would want to do too.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
gary, you're a one man advertising campaign for the tourance. in absolute terms, all doubt has been removed concerning touring tire selection. i knew the tire would last, but i never expected it to still be mounted with RTW equivalent miles on it. the miles on the rear tourance also impressive.

the reason for never reversing this tire is found in your profile photo of the tire in the first post. also in the closeup photo of your fender bracket. water dispersal is achieved through the angled tread that runs to the edge of the pattern at the sidewall. turn it around and the entire pattern doesn't work. unsafe.

if the cupping is uniform, try adjusting the pressure down a couple pounds from the rated pressure.

the trailwing might be good for 4000 miles.

good luck down there.
Thanks JD, that is good advice, I did find a rear Tourance today for $271 at the BMW shop in Buenos Aires, I'll install it later, will try and get another 500 miles on the one I have now.

Gary

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Has anyone here run the 150/70 rear tire with a rear hugger? I'm guessing that a 160/60 and a 150/70 have the same rolling diameter so it shouldn't be a problem? Any sort of handling deficiencies with replacing the 160/60 rear tyre with a 150/70? Any less grip?

~
FookStar

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
When you mount a "rear type tire" on the front, you will obtain more braking traction if you reverse mount the tire.

The reason for this is - the tread in a rear type tire has a V type pattern in it. When mounted correctly on the rear wheel, the V points to the rear (when on the ground). When you open the throttle, the point of this V digs into the dirt, which gives you more traction, which allows you to accellerate forward. Farm tractor tires work the same way, just check one out next time you see one.

When you put a "rear type" tire on the front wheel, there is no need for it to provide traction to accellerate, since your front wheel is not connected to your engine. But, at times, the front wheel is needed to slow your bike down. It can best do that (in the dirt) by having the point of the V in the tread (on the ground) pointing forward. And in order to do that, you end up installing it as "reverse rotation" as shown on the sidewall.

You can install it however you like though. Its your choice.

S'ok?
Here is a photo from a BMW site of a Tourance tire correctly mounted to the front wheel of a BMW GS. Guess what - the V in the tread points to the front, just like every other adventure touring bike tire I've seen.

Could motorcycle manufacturers know something about mounting tires correctly on their bikes? You decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XZX 2009-bmw-f-650-gs-front.jpg (58.2 KB, 397 views)
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
How many miles do you have ...

BMW Motorrad produced 87,306 motorcycles in 2009,[1] compared with 104,220 in 2008.[2] The most popular model is the R1200GS and its sibling Adventure, which sold 24,467 units accounting for 28% of BMW's annual production.

So, in 2009 alone there were 24,467 GS's sold. Assume similar sales for the past 6 years (which is probably a low estimate, based on the 16% drop in sales from '08 to '09), that's 146,802 GSs riding around out there with the front tire mounted this way. So assume each bike averages about 4,000 miles per year for an average of 3 years (for this group) that's 146,802 bikes X 4,000 miles each year X 3 years = 1,761,624,000 collective miles or 1.76 billion miles! There have been no tire mounting related recalls on these bikes in that time period, over all those miles.

1) ^ a b "BMW Motorcycle Sales for 2009 and Prospects for 2010". webBikeWorld.com. 5 February 2010. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ycle-sales.htm. Retrieved 18 February 2010.

2) ^ a b "Annual Report 2008" (PDF). BMW Group. http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport...Group_2008.pdf. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode