New Li battery - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Li battery

Have you guys seen this? It's a much smaller, lighter battery. I saw it on TT, the DRZ guys, among others, are using them as a direct replacement to save weight & space. Pretty cool, I think...

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%...y/Welcome.html

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ighlight=rokon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM

SWEET! Any idea on the price?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

$99 for the smaller battery, $159 for the bigger one. They'll also custom make them for specific applications, at a price of course...

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%...ry/2.5_ah.html

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%...ry/5.0_ah.html

http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/FAQ.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Nice find BoB, Don't need a new batt. just yet. Will keep my Eye out for the replacement and seriously consider future needs. A point I would need to confirm IF it's Cold Cranking Amps is hindered More/Less then a stock Batt. Living in Alaska need all the power during the cold, ya never know when ya get the urge for a Freeze Dried rides. :-)
Ride Safe, have fun.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Lithium batteries are a lot more energy-dense than lead-acid.
I may be wrong but I think lead-acid can handle more charge cycles as well as being cheaper.

At 159 bucks I wouldn't want to replace one per year or even two years.
At that price I'd sooner rig my own from ebayed laptop batteries (or just keep using Pb)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

That's not that bad considering the price of a new Versys battery. And I hope we don't have to replace them every two years. It's not for everyone, but someone looking to save weight, it might be worth the price.

As far as the Li vs lead acid, if you read the faq's on their sight, I believe they explain the pros/cons & what-not. These lithium batteries are not the same as the lithium batteries from a laptop.

From the site:

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are they Lithium batteries?
Yes, but they are a completely different chemistry than the batteries that power laptops, cell phones, and Ipods. The chemistry is called Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP).

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 PM

this might be an alternative, too. I use a size smaller than recommended in my 955 tiger and it works fine, going on 3 years....where's that tape measure?
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc310.htm
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Lead/acid type batteries are good at tolerating overcharging for long periods. I have heard that, in general, the voltage regulators in cars and bikes are designed to work with this in mind.

So, I am not so sure that the lithium technologies could handle the typical overcharging scenario.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 AM

Take a look at: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...&Category=1277

They have lots of info and look to be less expensive than batteries mentioned so far. I have bought numerous other types of batteries from these folks. They are good.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM

http://www.apexbattery.com/kawasaki-...batteries.html

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
From Wikipedia:

The LiFePO4 battery uses a lithium-ion-derived chemistry and shares many of its advantages and disadvantages with other lithium ion battery chemistries. The key advantages for LiFePO4 when compared with LiCoO2 are improved safety through higher resistance to thermal runaway, longer cycle and calendar life, higher current or peak-power rating, and use of iron and phosphate which have lower environmental impact than cobalt. Cost may be a major difference as well, but, that cannot be verified until the cells are more widely used in the marketplace.

LFP batteries have some drawbacks:
The specific energy (energy/volume) of a new LFP battery is somewhat lower than that of a new LiCoO2 battery. Battery manufacturers across the world are currently working to find ways to maximize the energy storage performance and reduce size & weight.

Brand new LFP's have been found to fail prematurely if they are "deep cycled" (discharged below 33% level) too early. A break-in period of 20 charging cycles is currently recommended by some distributors. Rapid charging will shorten lithium-ion battery (including LFP) life-span when compared to traditional trickle charging.

Many brands of LFP's have a low discharge rate compared with Lead-Acid or LiCoO. Since discharge rate is a percentage of battery capacity this can be overcome by using a larger battery (more Amp-Hours).

While LiFePO4 cells have lower voltage and energy density than normal, this disadvantage is offset over time by the slower rate of capacity loss (aka greater calendar-life) of LiFePO4 when compared with other lithium-ion battery chemistries (such as LiCoO2 "cobalt" or LiMn2O4 "manganese spinel" based Lithium-ion polymer batteries or Lithium-ion batteries).

For example:
After one year of use, a LiFePO4 cell typically has approximately the same energy density as a normal, LiCoO2 Li-ion cell. Beyond one year of use, a LiFePO4 cell is likely to have higher energy density than a normal, LiCoO2 Li-ion cell due to the differences in their respective calendar-lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery, li battery, light weight battery, lithium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode