clutch cable - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
clutch cable

Has anyone had any experience replacing a clutch cable? It seems mine is stretched out after 9k mi. I took by the shop today and was told it was in a bind and needed replaced. I've got it adjusted out as far as will allow, still hard to pull. So now I have one on order. How difficult is it to replace one of these dudes? Are special tools needed? Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Depends how the cable is routed. Worst case would be having to pull the gas tank. Clutch cables are very sensitive to proper routing. There should be a minimum of tight bends in the cable, and it shouldn't be tightly strapped down anywhere. Both will cause the cable to bind and fail quickly.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:25 PM

At least you caught it before it snapped on you and left you stranded.

No special tools, but it does help to take the right side panel off along with black panel underneath it. If you are replacing the complete cable inner and sheath, leave old one in place for the correct routing of new one.

Before you put the cable in place, hang it up by the lever end and drain or spray some good lube down the cable. This will help keep rust down if you ride a lot in the rain and should increase its life. Mine's done 20k in the damp Pacific Nortwet.

Going forward lube the new cable at the lever each time you lube the chain (i.e. around every 300-400miles). This Dupont lube is excellent stuff for cables and your chain.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I've been researching and it looks like guys are rerouting the cable. Invader had some good ideas w/ pics on a earlier post. I did lube it today and has helped. The new cable should be here next week. We'll see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode