You can make fun of me as long as you can help me. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy You can make fun of me as long as you can help me.

I will start by saying I am an idiot. Your going to say it anyway so I might as well beat you to the punch.

Good news for me though is that I am not always an idiot, some people may not agree but you don't know them so let's forget about them for now.

Why am I an idiot you ask?

A couple of reasons:
1. I left the key in the "on" position and ran my battery down while visiting my father. Not so bad but it qualifies me for a bit of ridicule.

2. When trying to jump start my bike WITHOUT the SUV running (1 smart thing I did that day I suppose) some sweat blinded me, the sun got right in my eyes, my left shoe was untied, and I was saving a baby from a burning building all while trying to accomplish the most difficult task of the afternoon: matching red to red and black to black. I failed at this most critical of task. I placed the red to black and black to red, and hit the ignition. Believe it or not, the bike did not start. I was corrected by my father who had all kinds of creative things to say about my intellect, or lack there of. I then corrected my mistake and attempted to start the bike. Nada. Nothing. Not even a click.

Thanks for the ride home dad.

I then pulled the battery and slapped it on the charger for the evening.

The battery is now fully charged and installed on the bike.

The bike acts as if there is no battery attached. Yes I got the red to red and the black to black. This time.

Yes the battery is charged and in good shape.

I checked the fuses and they were all fine.

Everything seems connected well and in place but the bike won't do a thing when I turn the key or press the ignition.

The dealer seems to think it is the stator. I'm praying it is not because it is over $300 bucks from them!!! I have not priced it anywhere else but suffice to say if this is the issue it isn't gonna be a cheap fix.

Please leave what ever ridicule you feel the need to dish out as long as you leave an honest thoughtful opinion as to what could be the problem.

"Ouch that comment hurt" and "Thanks that advice sounds useful" in advance.
Andy "El Idiota" D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM

You did check all the fuses?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Pg 574 in the service manual that is available on this forum. Check the 30A main fuse located on the starter relay.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM

From the troubleshooting guide:
When the engine does not start:

-Engine stop switch off
-Transmission not in neutral
-Fuse blown
-Battery leads do not make good electrical contact with battery terminals
-Battery discharged

Good luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 PM

The service manual is available here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...service+manual

THANK YOU stlee29
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndyD View Post
I will start by saying I am an idiot. Your going to say it anyway so I might as well beat you to the punch.

Good news for me though is that I am not always an idiot, some people may not agree but you don't know them so let's forget about them for now.

Why am I an idiot you ask?

A couple of reasons:
1. I left the key in the "on" position and ran my battery down while visiting my father. Not so bad but it qualifies me for a bit of ridicule.

2. When trying to jump start my bike WITHOUT the SUV running (1 smart thing I did that day I suppose) some sweat blinded me, the sun got right in my eyes, my left shoe was untied, and I was saving a baby from a burning building all while trying to accomplish the most difficult task of the afternoon: matching red to red and black to black. I failed at this most critical of task. I placed the red to black and black to red, and hit the ignition. Believe it or not, the bike did not start. I was corrected by my father who had all kinds of creative things to say about my intellect, or lack there of. I then corrected my mistake and attempted to start the bike. Nada. Nothing. Not even a click.

Thanks for the ride home dad.

I then pulled the battery and slapped it on the charger for the evening.

The battery is now fully charged and installed on the bike.

The bike acts as if there is no battery attached. Yes I got the red to red and the black to black. This time.

Yes the battery is charged and in good shape.

I checked the fuses and they were all fine.

Everything seems connected well and in place but the bike won't do a thing when I turn the key or press the ignition.

The dealer seems to think it is the stator. I'm praying it is not because it is over $300 bucks from them!!! I have not priced it anywhere else but suffice to say if this is the issue it isn't gonna be a cheap fix.

Please leave what ever ridicule you feel the need to dish out as long as you leave an honest thoughtful opinion as to what could be the problem.

"Ouch that comment hurt" and "Thanks that advice sounds useful" in advance.
Andy "El Idiota" D.
My money is on the run switch being in the off posistion! ;p
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Did you check the 30A main fuse? It is not with the other fuses. It is under a cover on the starter relay. You must remove the left rear frame cover to get to the screw that holds the cover on the starter relay.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM

I would bet against the stator being the culprit. It would cause your bike to die because it wasn't charging the battery, but if the battery is fully charged it should start up and run just fine until the battery dies again.
My guess would be you missed a blown fuse or burnt up a wire somewhere.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in FL View Post
The service manual is available here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...service+manual

THANK YOU stlee29
Bob in FL, Glad to help.

MeAndyD,

Don't feel bad. They say when it rains, it pours.
Main thing is we learn from mistakes and try not to let the same thing happen.
We are all here to share and I think it is a Win/Win situation.

Check the fuses with a multimeter.
Check the V battery. Fully charged should be 12.8 or above. Wait a while to see that the battery does not discharge abnormally.
Conform bike is neutral (in free gear)
Check the starter motor relay.

Question: When you turn the key, does the green neutral come up? Does the FI program cycle?

Best Regards.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM

+1 on the cut off switch.

I was out in the boonies years ago, had to open and close a farm gate. Couldn't get the bike started again. Took it half apart only to find my glove had caught the cut off switch as I opened the gate. Luckily got it back together and it started right up.

Machog

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM

I agree with machog. Its easy to do....and I left my key on as well. it did push start though

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

It was the main fuse!!! My truck won't miss that 30 amp fuse anyway

Thank you all for your help with this issue and for really pulling the punches when they were thrown.

You guys make this forum great!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Are you sure you checked all the fuses?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Sure you're not just saying that because you don't want to admit it was the cut off switch?
Glad to hear it was an easy and inexpensive fix.
I'd stay away from the dealer that said is was the stator.
(Not that Kawasaki has a great reputation when it comes to stators..., its just that the symptoms you described shouldn't have led anybody to that diagnosis)

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode