Just when I found the perfect chain lube - they stopped making it!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just when I found the perfect chain lube - they stopped making it!!!

I've just run out of the best chain lube I've ever used (for street riding and off road riding), and I now realize that they don't make it anymore!

I've been using the Dupont "Dry lube" in the blue spray can and plastic bottle. They have changed the formula, and the new cans no longer have the "dry lube" on the lable. Dupont tells me in need to now use their "chain-lube" instead, but all the reviews I've read on this stuff say its one of the worst.

It's like... Just when I've figured out the answer to life, they go and change the question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Dont quote me but... I am sure that there are other teflon based aerosol spray lubes available from someone. or maybe...http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr..._dry_film.html
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Dupont explains it here: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...lubricant.html

"Goes on wet. Sets up to a clean, dry wax film which will resist dirt and grime."

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...ain_saver.html

Then again, to hell with Dupont's toxic PTFE, and that Jeff Gordon wanker.. Just go with the best:

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29

Last edited by invader; 10-29-2013 at 08:47 PM.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I've just run out of the best chain lube I've ever used (for street riding and off road riding), and I now realize that they don't make it anymore!

I've been using the Dupont "Dry lube" in the blue spray can and plastic bottle. They have changed the formula, and the new cans no longer have the "dry lube" on the lable. Dupont tells me in need to now use their "chain-lube" instead, but all the reviews I've read on this stuff say its one of the worst.

It's like... Just when I've figured out the answer to life, they go and change the question!
I like the Dupont Chain Saver. Dirt does not stick to it. It is easy to clean the chain, it has a self cleaning action. It lubes OK. I wish I could find it in the squirt bottle though, so far I can only get it in the spray can.` Don't loose the long red straw though cause it's a must have when applying it. I do notice though that if I leave my bike outside for a few days in the rain the chain will get surface rust so another type of lube may be better in this environment.

I think most chain lube reviews, unless they are scientifically based, with some kind of quantifiable lab testing are suspect.

The worst chain lubes I have used are pure heavy oil, it's dirty and flings off and attracts grit, and grease based lubes like Castrol Chain Grease are bad for the same reason.

Last edited by versys_rider; 10-30-2013 at 12:12 PM.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

I have not had good luck with the Maxima chain lube. I found that it attracted dirt, dust and grit to the chain and sprockets. versys_rider - you are the first person that I heard that had a good experience with the chain saver lube. I found lots of reviews (in print and internet) that said it was one of the worst. This is expecially troublesome - because it is produced by a company that had made one of the best, by far. I will check out the "Non-Stick" and see how that goes.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You mean Maxima's Syn Chain Guard, and not Chain Wax?
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean Maxima's Syn Chain Guard, and not Chain Wax?
It has been a while since I used the Maxima product, but I'm thinking it may have been the Chain Wax.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
I like the Dupont Chain Saver. Dirt does not stick to it. It is easy to clean the chain, it has a self cleaning action. It lubes OK. I wish I could find it in the squirt bottle though, so far I can only get it in the spray can.` Don't loose the long red straw though cause it's a must have when applying it. I do notice though that if I leave my bike outside for a few days in the rain the chain will get surface rust so another type of lube may be better in this environment.

I think most chain lube reviews, unless they are scientifically based, with some kind of quantifiable lab testing are suspect.

The worst chain lubes I have used are pure heavy oil, it's dirty and flings off and attracts grit, and grease based lubes like Castrol Chain Grease are bad for the same reason.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00DGK9IBS

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
... versys_rider - you are the first person that I heard that had a good experience with the chain saver lube. I found lots of reviews (in print and internet) that said it was one of the worst.
Care to post some links to "lots of reviews" that say it is one of the worst?

I have been using Dupont for years and my chain/sprocket looks new. Got the advice from this forum and am glad I did. I apply after every fill up just before I park it in the garage.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

I buy my Chain Saver on Amazon in spray cans. Order 3 or 4 to get the shipping cost sown.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Care to post some links to "lots of reviews" that say it is one of the worst?

I have been using Dupont for years and my chain/sprocket looks new. Got the advice from this forum and am glad I did. I apply after every fill up just before I park it in the garage.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

I buy my Chain Saver on Amazon in spray cans. Order 3 or 4 to get the shipping cost sown.

I just pick it up at Lowes.. Still have one full can of the blue left.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM

PJ1 Blue Chain Lube is my favorite.

Pair it with PJ1's cleaner every other application. You'll have the cleanest chain out there.

I used Klotz chain lube for awhile. Did not like.... But when my PJ1 is all used up, I may give the multi use a try!

Hooligan
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post

Pair it with PJ1's cleaner every other application. You'll have the cleanest chain out there.
I used PJ1 Blue for about 2 years on my bike, and it made the chain look gross, fast. All manner of grit and grim would stick to the chain and sprockets, and it had a decent amount of fling. I switched to the teflon chain saver, and the chain stays shiny and there's little to no fling. As far as the actual lubricating qualities of both, who knows, but the teflon keeps the grime for sticking so it wins my vote.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I just pick it up at Lowes.. Still have one full can of the blue left.
I did too but the blue can at my Lowes is not the same formula as before.

Below is copied from here.

Alas, it is no longer. The new formula is now called "DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant", without the "Dry, Wax" qualifier. We have a couple of cans of the new stuff and we have been evaluating it recently on a few chain-driven motorcycles.

The new formula is quite different from the original, even though the 11 oz. (311 gram) spray can looks very similar. See the photo above; the can in the center is the original formula. Note the "Dry, Wax Lubricant" text that was placed below the "Teflon Multi-Use" text. Take a look at the revised can on the right, which now simply proclaims "Lubricant".

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 11-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I did too but the blue can at my Lowes is not the same formula as before.

Below is copied from here.

Alas, it is no longer. The new formula is now called "DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant", without the "Dry, Wax" qualifier. We have a couple of cans of the new stuff and we have been evaluating it recently on a few chain-driven motorcycles.

The new formula is quite different from the original, even though the 11 oz. (311 gram) spray can looks very similar. See the photo above; the can in the center is the original formula. Note the "Dry, Wax Lubricant" text that was placed below the "Teflon Multi-Use" text. Take a look at the revised can on the right, which now simply proclaims "Lubricant".

I was able to get a couple of the old cans way back. I'll just pick up the chain saver formula from them when i run out of the old stuff.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
I used PJ1 Blue for about 2 years on my bike, and it made the chain look gross, fast. All manner of grit and grim would stick to the chain and sprockets, and it had a decent amount of fling. I switched to the teflon chain saver, and the chain stays shiny and there's little to no fling. As far as the actual lubricating qualities of both, who knows, but the teflon keeps the grime for sticking so it wins my vote.

Did you spray on, and then wipe off?

I know a TON of people who just apply lube and then ride off. No sh!t it flings...

PJ1 actually has a video out there how to propperly lube your chain... I have zero fling what so ever. I clean the chain every fill up 170-200 miles usually.

Hooligan
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:

I used Klotz chain lube for awhile. Did not like.... But when my PJ1 is all used up, I may give the multi use a try!
I have a full can of the PJ1 Blue Lube that i grabbed by mistake one day when i though i was grabbing some chain cleaner. Will have to give it a try. Now i just use Goop Hand Cleaner to clean my chain.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm sure everyone uses different ones, but I'm pretty pleased with the Motul for what its worth:
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have a full can of the PJ1 Blue Lube that i grabbed by mistake one day when i though i was grabbing some chain cleaner. Will have to give it a try. Now i just use Goop Hand Cleaner to clean my chain.

Apply a good amount of lube with the chain warm from riding.

Wipe the excess off. 3-4 rotations around with a shop rag. Done!

Hooligan
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Apply a good amount of lube with the chain warm from riding.

Wipe the excess off. 3-4 rotations around with a shop rag. Done!

Will Do..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM

That goes with any type of chain lube really... Wipe off the excess.

The lube is really there to make sure the orings are staying moist and a small barrier between the rollers and sprocket. No need to cake it on there!

I have over 10k on the current chain and have had to adjust it once. It looks bran new as well! I'm thinking it will go for at least 8k more.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 10-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode