Crusie control or throttle lock? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crusie control or throttle lock?

I am looking at getting a throttle lock for the longer trips on the interstate. I have done some looking and the best one I could find so far is the Throttle Meister bar end throttle lock, but boy are they spendy. About 120 for the set. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these or would recommend any other type of throttle lock for the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM

I have a Throttlemeister......installation is pretty easy but it takes a little practice to learn how to hold the throttle still and twist the bar end at the same time. It works well though, and is worth having for longer runs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Check out this one...many of us use it, and love it.
http://www.kaokousa.com/

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM

I think someone else mentioned it earlier an "o-ring". I tried it and like it. However it does take a little to get use to. It fits between the grip and bar end weight, sorry no pic's but if you ride a V I'm sure you can figure it out. I only use it for short periods of time and when the road hazards are low ( no car around me) The price is right, I paid $.50
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

This is my solution, Vista cruise throttle lock, about $30.00, last I checked and a Throttle Rocker. Its easy to twist on and off and works well on the flat without too much wind.

I didn't like the Throttle Meister solution, too spendy and not easy to use. To twist it on you have to slide your hand carefully to the end while keeping the throttle twisted and then engage the TM.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machog; 08-26-2009 at 10:32 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I just saw a add for that o-ring style and I think it is ingenious! I am making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and I am going to give it a try, for .50 you cant go wrong. thanks guys!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Please explain. A 50 cent throttle lock happens to be just within my budget. How does it work? Where can I see an ad for it? Hook me up!

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM

"Ditto" the Vista Universal throttle lock. It fits the small grips with the addition of a couple of shims cut from 1" thin wall PVC pipe. Thats the white you see next to the grip. Before that I used the o ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7090017.JPG (79.0 KB, 138 views)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
Please explain. A 50 cent throttle lock happens to be just within my budget. How does it work? Where can I see an ad for it? Hook me up!

You are buying an O-ring cruise control/throttle lock for Suzuki Boulevard, Hayabusa and B-King. Our O-rings are the perfect size and perfect material for the job. Our O-rings are very strong and will never fail. Black is less conspicuous than yellow, so little kids won't walk away with it while your bike is unattended. You can still easily move your throttle with the o-ring engaged. This allows you to make subtle adjustments with grade changes. It easily rolls onto your bar-end when not needed.

This works with most Suzuki models especially the grip/bar-end pictured. Suzuki models with short bar end will work, but you can not roll it back without it falling off.

Will it work on your bike? The basic rules of thumb are: Your grip must move independent of the bar end, the bar end should be at least 1-1/4 inch diameter, the gap between the grip and the bar-end should not be greater than 1/8 inch (this is usually adjustable by pulling on the grip to lessen the gap,) and the bar-end should be at least an inch long. If you want to try it, you can buy it and return it for the simple cost of a 42 cent stamp. Just provide your ebay # in the return envelope so we know how to refund the $3.49.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringa.jpg (331.2 KB, 258 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I would think if you went to the hardware store you could find something similiar that would work.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 PM

IMHO, cost aside, If putting a handlebar protector, the Vista setup will be a safer option. Quicker to disengage the throttle in an emergency.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 07-10-2009 at 12:17 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM

I like to pull them down between the grip flange and the switch box. My best one was made from a piece of electrical cable jacket. Screen spline in the proper size would work well also. One package would last you a life time.

The Vista works better though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 PM

I use the Vista Cruise made for Honda/Yamaha.
I just posted details here.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendevries View Post
I am looking at getting a throttle lock for the longer trips on the interstate. I have done some looking and the best one I could find so far is the Throttle Meister bar end throttle lock, but boy are they spendy. About 120 for the set. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these or would recommend any other type of throttle lock for the Versys.
I bought a 4" rubber O-Ring for $1.50 and used a nylon tie wrap to pinch the O-ring into two loops that looks like a figure 8, but with one loop much smaller than the other. The small loop fits tightly over the handle bar weight. When I want to lock the throttle I simply pull it along the weight until it jams the throttle. The O-ring sits in the groove between the end of the throttle twist grip and the weight. I can over-ride it anytime, and the bigger loop that hangs under the handle bar is the handle that I use to pull it away from the twist grip when I'm through with "cruise control". In addition, the longer end can be pulled over the front brake lever to engage it as a parking brake. Over time the smaller loops sometimes loosens up a bit, but it's easy to pull the larger loop to tighten it. This solution costs next to nothing and works great.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Check out this one...many of us use it, and love it.
http://www.kaokousa.com/
+1 to the Kaoko Throttle Lock. It is really easy to install, works well and isn't too expensive ($99 from Twisted Throttle). Used it on Saturday coming back from a ride in upstate NY. Very highly recommended...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode