Tire Pressure on stock tires? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Pressure on stock tires?

I am just wondering what everybody runs for pressure in their stock Versys tires. The tires themselves say a max of 44psi or something like that but the Owners Manual says 36 in the rear and 34 in the front i think. Right now I am just going by what the manual says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM

I run 36 rear and 32 front.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM

I was wondering if anyone run canyons a lot...

What tire pressure are you running canyon at???

Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

I do a fair amount of canyon carving at the stock pressures. However, I hate these tires and can't wait for them to die.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM

I'm with the clan, stock pressures.

I run some hot twisty roads in the San Bernardino Mts for 3-4 months every year and they work out fine. Started out with stock Flops obviously, now on just about to trash my third set, Pilot Road Powers.

If I'm on logging or gravel roads, I some times air them down if I can be bothered.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

I know most rider that go fast on the canyon or track will never use stock pressure, they are running around 30 f and b.

How good are the Dunlop D221? I took my bike to local canyon (angeles crest) yesterday... I am going okay speed but I was kind of worry how it will react if I lean over more...

I didn't go any faster because

1. I wasn't fully gear. Wearing only jeans, still shopping for leather pants and boots.
2. Haven't check the tire pressure since I got the bike last week. (divorce, most of my stuff still at Ex's house)

I now have 1" of chicken strips on both side of the rear tire and about 3/4 inch in the front...

How kind of tires would you get if riding canyan a lot? I know pilot power are good tires, anything else?

Thanks you guys.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
I know most rider that go fast on the canyon or track will never use stock pressure, they are running around 30 f and b.

How good are the Dunlop D221?
You don't need to run track pressures to go on canyon rides. If you do, you'll end up with very worn tires very quickly, not from wearing the edges, but from killing the main tread section due to the low pressure (especially the rear).

The only real downside of the D221's is that they seem to take a while to heat up, so let them warm up before you go to warp speed and try taking them from edge to edge. If you weigh enough (or didn't setup your suspension correctly), you can even wear your pegs down on those tires without a problem. There are lots of good options, you don't need supersport tires to go canyon carving. Most sport-touring tires will work as well on the street and last a lot longer.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendevries View Post
I am just wondering what everybody runs for pressure in their stock Versys tires. The tires themselves say a max of 44psi or something like that but the Owners Manual says 36 in the rear and 34 in the front i think. Right now I am just going by what the manual says.
32 front and 36 rear. I aired the tires for the first time (yes, I'm bad , but the starting pressures were 30/32, so I wasn't out of family yet) this past weekend and did a cooler run in the foothills west of home (Deer Creek Canyon and North Turkey Creek, for those familiar with roads west of Denver). Lovely. We were taking it pretty easy, first time on twisties with the Versys and the year's first outing for Hubby on the VFR, but she felt planted and composed throughout. I've always run recommended pressures on my other bike, even when I know I'm gonna push it, or doing track days.

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?
She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."
- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Last Saturday, I had a friend adjusted my suspensions and check the tire pressure. He go to track a lot and also race in them.

This is the pressure that was in the tires from the dealer, F 25 and R 45. We adjusted pressure to F 32 and R 36.

I went riding in the Canyon this past Sunday. Bike feel really good, now instead of getting 1" of chicken strips, I got less than 1/2" checken strips in the back now. Front around1/4.

I could have gone faster, but I still don't have leather pant and boot and I have not ridden in over 1 1/2 years; so I decided not to push it further.

I am really happy with Versys! Versys rocks! Versys has surpass my expectation.

I rode over 500 miles in just 12 days, time for oild change this week before the weekend.

Thank you guys for your tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode