Those damned fine threads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Those damned fine threads

As I prepare to build my crash bars for the V I've noticed that yet again the front motor mount bolts seem to have a fine thread pitch of 1.25 (same as the spools). I'm getting a little tired of running around searching endlessly for these screws. It's hard enough to fine a zinc plated (let alone stainless) M10 with a corase pitch.

The bolts use a nylong lock-nut to match the screw so there is nothing to stop me from swapping both for a coarse thread setup. I noticed that the SW-Motech crash bars supply their own lock-nuts, I wonder if that's because they swapped threads, anybody with these able to confirm? The Hepco & Becker bars on the other hand supply a find thread screw and rely on the original lock-nut.

It's my understanding that fine threads allow for greater torquing and probably greater clamping strength, but the difference seems minute. Anyone have an idea as to why all those fine thread screws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Post pictures of your build, i am thinking of building my own.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM

Not sure if they have a Home Depot in QC, but any good hardware store should have a selection of stainless metric fine thread stuff. In my part of the world (Seattle WA area), we have 3 different stores that carry a good selection. They are not with the 'normal' nuts and bolts, they are typically in metal trays. I actually replaced the hardware on my H&B because it looked a bit wimpy to me.
Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM

You should be able to find what you are looking for at Fastenal. There might be a store near you but it looks like you can order from their website. Ordering bolts through the internet seems a bit silly but at least it's an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, we're lucky enough to have a Home Depot, but they don't carry fine thread. I've found a local screw supplier that can get them on special order, but that means I won't be able to get it done this weekend. Darn!

kmahorney: I'm still designing at this stage and building a dye to bend pipe, but here's a bit of info on what I'm doing:
- I'm using 1" OD pipe with a 1/16" wall. Other bars seem to use 1" tubes. I just can't tell what thickness. Anything thicker than 1/16" would be very hard to bend anyways. I will curve it to an approx. 2.5" inner radius.
- My attachment points will be the front engine mounting bolt, a U-bolt attached to the lower visible frame tube (much like the Sw-Motech bars with a rolled piece of ABS to protect the frame) and a tube running above the radiator to tie both sides of the bars together (without touching any part of the bike, like the H&B design).

I'm trying to build some flexibility into the design to absorb an impact. Better to deform the bars than transmit a hard impact onto the frame and risk damaging it. The 1/16" pipe will help since it's somewhat flexible.

Here's a drawing of a rough outline. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Here are the installation instructions for the SW-Motech and H&B bars to get and idea of how they're put together. There's a few good pictures from members on the forum too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HB crash bars.pdf (527.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf SW-Motech crash bars.pdf (933.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by jonny2001; 07-25-2009 at 11:44 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 AM

Hi Joony2001,

and in your DIY engine guard project.
IMHO, it's good to have those bars further out than the turn signal indicators.

For fine vs course thread screws:
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm#5

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info and good luck with the build...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2001 View Post
Thanks, we're lucky enough to have a Home Depot, but they don't carry fine thread. I've found a local screw supplier that can get them on special order, but that means I won't be able to get it done this weekend. Darn!
check Valley Hardware, behind Good Times on Bentley ave... Don't know about that specific bolt, but they have a huge selection...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly where I found them. They're pretty good. They couldn't get the screws for my spools (also M10x1.25 but socket head), but they can get almost anything.

stlee29: good call. I don't want to have to replace another one of those.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 PM

Ace Hardware has a great slection of all kinds of fasteners metric and sae, That is about all they are good for.

08 Versys Red
05 VTX1800 tour
Proud American Infedel
To much fire power to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode