Mirror question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirror question

My left mirror is absolutely useless. The bike was received by me like this, but I just listened to everyone say "Oh, you can't see anything out of bike mirrors anyway", and took it at face value. I now believe that is utter crap.

When the mirror is screwed all the way in, the mirror points at my right arm at worst and at best will allow me a look at my left arm.

I cobbled together a shim and moved the lock position further up the thread, and that seemed to work... I could actually see whatever I adjusted it to - behind me or the left lane! But that only worked until I hit 65 mph or so and the mirror tightened itself again.

So, I figure the only fix will be get a washer-like shim and put it between the mirror and the mounting nut, or take off the mounting nut and put it between the handlebar and the nut.

My gut feeling is they grossly overtightened the nut on original bike assembly and that's why it is fubared. It's rotated a full 45 degrees past where it "should" be. I tried to remove it with an ordinary wrench and failed; I figure I'll have to use a breaker bar.

My question is :
Has anyone had to do the same?
Should I just take the SOB back to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM

I put the mirror extenders on from Twisted Throttle. The bolts kept loosening up on me, so I used some locktite. No more problems!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/652/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Are those the SW-Motechs? I bought the same ones and the M10 bolts were so tight. They never move on my bike even when it fell over. I think it helped keep the bike upright and what moved was the mirror/clutch bracket.

These are a bit pricey but well worth it. The view behind is much better. My dealer fabricates engine covers for race bikes and he said even at that price he couldn't fabricate a set. He'd have to charge a bit more - but they were all impressed by them. I guess a good deal after all and the safety factor is priceless.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffler Bearing View Post
My left mirror is absolutely useless.

My question is :
Has anyone had to do the same?
Should I just take the SOB back to the dealer?
I have also installed the mirror extender from Twisted throttle and have the same problem where I cannot see if I have a mack truck or a mini following me in my left mirror and in my right, I can actually see perfectly, no vibration!!

As for adjustment, when you take the mirror off the bike, if you turn it upside down, you will see a nut inside that can be lossened and then the mirror rotated. It's a trial and error, where you have to lossened, arrange, tightened and put it back on the bike and see.

took a bit of time, but worked well in the end (except for the vibration in the left mirror) and also had to use the locktite on the mirror to stop them from lossening up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
As for adjustment, when you take the mirror off the bike, if you turn it upside down, you will see a nut inside that can be lossened and then the mirror rotated. It's a trial and error, where you have to lossened, arrange, tightened and put it back on the bike and see.

took a bit of time, but worked well in the end (except for the vibration in the left mirror) and also had to use the locktite on the mirror to stop them from lossening up.
There we go. This is the information I was looking for! For the first time since I've owned my bike, I am able to adjust the mirror to look at something other than my chest!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM

mirrors

ordered from EBay, 10mm motorcycle riser extender adapter from Hong Kong 20.00usd and mirrors for Kawa Versys from Taiwan 11.00 plus shipping and they are perfect. Threw the crappy oem mirrors in the garbage. I am 6'1" 215 lbs and can finally see the traffic behind me

live large
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode