Brake pads for Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake pads for Versys

I have an 08 Versys and need to order a complete set of pads. I want the EBC HH sintered pads.
As close as I can tell it requires FA231HH for the front
and FA192HH for the rear.
Can someone confirm this and where is your favo-rite place to buy them??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I have an 08 Versys and need to order a complete set of pads. I want the EBC HH sintered pads.
As close as I can tell it requires FA231HH for the front
and FA192HH for the rear.
Can someone confirm this and where is your favo-rite place to buy them??
The pad sets for the front are different side to side. One pad slides over a pin, and this one is a mirror image from one side to the other. So there are two different numbers for the fronts. The OEM pads are in fact HHs.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

So is there a different part number (I would think so) for left and right on the front? I did see one ad for a left and right but it gave no part numbers?
I want to make sure I order the correct pads to change both sides.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The pad sets for the front are different side to side. One pad slides over a pin, and this one is a mirror image from one side to the other. So there are two different numbers for the fronts. The OEM pads are in fact HHs.
Thanks ttpete,
I found the part numbers for OEM pads on Partzilla. Seems a little pricey at $125 for all three sets, but, as we say, if you play you gotta pay, eh??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Will these give better braking performance over the stock pads, or is this just a copy of the stock pads?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Will these give better braking performance over the stock pads, or is this just a copy of the stock pads?
I installed the EBC HH pads on my Versys earlier this year. There is a very significant improvement in brake feel at the lever. The EBC HH pads are not nearly as grabby as the stock Tokico pads. They are much more linear in applied braking force vs lever pressure and consistent in response. This makes them much easier to modulate in hard braking. I feel I can brake much harder now without the risk of accidental front wheel lockup. I think this is the main advantage of good pads as you can easily apply enough braking force to lock up the front wheel with even the cheapest brake pads. As mentioned above the right and left pad sets are a different part number. Make sure to grease the sliders under their rubber covers when you change the pads. Also pump out the cylinders that push the pads (not all the way out) and clean away the road grime around the cylinders with a Q-tip and brake cleaner. Don't forget to push these back in all the way before installing the new pads. A can of brake cleaner and a tub of multipurpose grease is handy to have when you change the pads.

Right - FA231HH
Left - FA229HH

http://www.bikebandit.com/ebc-sinter...-pads?m=148897
https://www.denniskirk.com/
http://www.jpcycles.com/

Last edited by twowheels; 10-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I installed the EBC HH pads on my Versys earlier this year. There is a large difference in brake feel. The EBC HH pads are not nearly as grabby like the stock pads. They are much more linear in applied braking force vs lever pressure and consistent in response. This makes them much easier to modulate in hard braking. I feel I can brake much harder now without the risk of sudden front wheel lockup. I think this is the main advantage of them as you can easily lock up the front wheel with even the cheapest brake pads. As mentioned above the right and left pad sets are a different part number. Make sure to grease the sliders when you change the pads. Also pump out the cylinders that push the pads (not all the way out) and clean away the road grime around the cylinders with a Q-tip and brake cleaner. Don't forget to push these back in all the way before installing the new pads.
I ordered all three sets EBC HH from Cycleplicity, Total $96.68 including shipping. This is about what I was paying for EBC pads for my ST1300. They have worked well on my Honda so I just stuck with the brand. Due to their role in the safety department, I am reluctant to experiment with less costly alternatives.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
They are reported to be excellent by riders of other sportbike and hypersport models who have tried them. They are distributed by Volar in California, and their particular compound is not the same as OEM Tokico HH pads.

I started off with Vesrah (Japan) RJL sintered metal HH pads which are outstanding... They're about as expensive as EBC's now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode