Rear wheel alignment doesn't look right - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear wheel alignment doesn't look right

This looks just a little off to me. Opinions?

left side

right side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Unfortunately you can't always depend on the marks. They should be close though.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Easy fix...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM

How does the bike ride no hands on a calm evening on a smooth road?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Rear Wheel Alignment

The wheel is a little off. The first time I tightened my chain I noticed mine were off a full notch on one side from the other side. I got the bike brand new from the dealer that way. After the bike got broke in and I got some slack in the chain I noticed it was off when I adjusted the chain. I never knew it was off until then. The bike didn't ride funny and there was no abnormal tire wear.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:42 AM

I was so picky last week I used a digital caliber to make my adjustment and then eye balled the marks to make sure. From the looks of the picture I would readjust and at the same time check the chain tension and lube chain. Does not hurt to do routine maintenance.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 AM

I'm no mechanic or engineer, but judging from those pics I would say you might be a mm off on one side but not enough to cause uneven tire wear or wobble in the corners. I've never had a problem using the marks. I would think you'd have to be past the 3rd mark on one side and behind the third mark on the other for it to be way out and noticeable.

I imagine at some point in bike history (before I was riding) there was a certain unreliability in swing arm marks. I am curious if bikes are really that sensitive to something like a mm off on one side ? I suppose I could go knock mine off a couple mm and take it for a spin.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I agree, as I have played with mine some and it doesn't seem to make a noticable difference in handling or tire wear, but you do want to make sure the rear sprocket is aligned with the chain.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM

You should lay a yard stick along the back wheel, extending to front wheel. If it's off at all, it'll show. The marks on the swingarm are just to get you close. Get it right...never settle for "good enough".

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Measure from the axle bole to the swing arm bolt. Center to center should be the same on both sides.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM

DON'T GO BY THE MARKS ON YOUR SWING ARM.

They are NOT accurate. Kawasaki in particular is notorious for inaccurate notches.

You do have some leeway.

Get your bike up on a wheel stand, spin the rear wheel and look down the length of your chain. See how it interacts with the sprocket. It should come off clean and straight. That's the only way to tell, not the marks. If you are not comfortable doing that, get a yard stick, and run it down the chain to check alignment, see the post above or buy an alignment tool. Those marks are just a rough guide.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 07-07-2009 at 12:53 AM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM

My MOM says use the marks. It mentions the string method in a side notation. It occurs to me that Kawasaki might just consider their marks adequate for maintaining proper alignment within the specifications of the motorcycle as a whole unit, not just a rear wheel, chain and a couple of sprockets.

The string method requires getting the front wheel perfectly straight! How is 'eying' the front wheel alignment remotely any better than 'eying' the marks on the swing arm ?

I think its a matter of experience, not an absolute. You'll know the first few times you adjust the chain whether or not the marks are good or bad. If they're bad - take it in for warranty work. Have them make it right. If Kawa says its good in the book they should put their money where their MOM is.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM

I use this to check my chain alignment http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...ment_tool.html

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
I use this to check my chain alignment http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...ment_tool.html
I found one at Cycle Gear...you could probably find them at most dealers.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Informative video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4DsHV8SAQ

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Great Video find Red

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and great info. I'm due for first service and I'm going to call it to the attention of the service guys. I've checked it a couple of ways and if it's off, it's off to such a small degree that I can't really measure it.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Great Video!

Thanks,

Kirk
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Great Video!

Thanks,

Kirk
+1 on the video.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Where do you measure to with your calipers. This is the first bike I have worked on that has an aluminum swing arm. I usually just measure how much the adjuster bolt sticks out on the back of the steel swingarms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode