Hardwiring GPS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hardwiring GPS

I am looking to hard wire my gps unit to my bike. I have read a lot of threads and I am planning on putting in a fuse block with a relay. But what I want to do is cut the wire and plug off of my 110v charger and hard wire that into the fuse block, so I dont need to use the cig lighter charger. My gps unit calls for 5v so I am assuming that if I hooked it up to 12v that it would probably wreck something so I think I need a inline convertor from 12v to 5v but I have searched and can not find such a thing. Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:58 PM

I have my 5 volt TomTom Rider 11 hardwired to a fused switchable wire, i.e. comes on with the ignition.

Its been like this on all my bikes over the past 4years and on the Versys over the past two years. No issues at all.

I think the Rider mount may step down the volts from 12 to 5, but not sure. It also has a car charger and that looks to have no step down.

Bottom line, just hook it up with a fuse and it will be fine.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Did your unit come with a line fuse? The easiest solution is to crimp a connector to the wire runs after a line fuse and go straight to the battery. If it didn't come with one I would look at your manual and see how many amps the fuse would need to be? I would guess 5a but would look it up to be safe. Radio shack probably has all you need to set it up this way.

I prefer this solution so that whenever it is on the bike, it will power up, regardless of ignition position. I like setting up my GPS on the bike before my ride. Having the GPS on while the key is off means my engine doesn't idle, or that my headlights won't drain the battery with engine off.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 PM

sm, with mine it only turns on with the ignition-not off. Stick it in the cradle, flip the ignition on, then off, set up the route whatever, without engine on or headlight.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

So even though the gps calls for 5v it shouldnt harm it or overload it, if I hooked it up to 12v? I am planning on putting in a inline fuse, I am just concerned about running to many volts to it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 AM

I wouldnt go over 5V if I was you. Why chance it? You can get all kinds of hardwire kits on FleaBay for many GPS units.

This one was about $20,,,,,

Inside that black box is the step-down board. And fuse. I would take it apart and waterproof it with a touch of silicone before install.

I never wire my GPS to the key. I have taken it straight to the battery on every bike I've owned. It is easy.`

Last edited by siyeh; 07-04-2009 at 11:11 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:09 PM

I put a relayed fusebox under my seat and connected a cigarette lighter socket to it, then connected my GPS charger to that and ran it through the bodywork to the front.

It works great and has the added advantage of being able to charge anything else for which I have a 12v socket charger. Cell phones and digital camera in my case.

There's room under the seat for a fuse box and an accessory socket, and the fuse box gives you flexibility in the future to easily add heated grips and other higher power accessories.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Blue Sea 5025 fuse box controlled by a relay:

Works my GPS and other electronics perfectly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 AM

Definitely don't put 12V into a 5V GPS unless it says it will take it. Some will but others won't. You will burn it out if you don't. I know cos' I did.
Ted.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all your help guys. XoOom where did you get your supplies? It looks like you did a very nice job and I would like to do something similiar to that. Also about how much did it cost.

Some day you will be counting the minutes instead of the days, then you will be dead, and all you will have is the Experiences.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Another power distribution option.. Eastern Beaver PC-8

Around $112.00 for everything including a relay inclusive main harness to the battery.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...PC-8/pc-8.html
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendevries View Post
thanks for all your help guys. XoOom where did you get your supplies? It looks like you did a very nice job and I would like to do something similiar to that. Also about how much did it cost.
I got the fuse box from West Marine for $30-40. The relay and cigarette adapter for the GPS were ~$10 from Advance Auto Parts.

Last edited by Xo0oM; 07-07-2009 at 07:50 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Where did you grab your relay power from? and also is that just a normal 12v socket under the seat coming off the box that you plug the car charger for the gps into?

Some day you will be counting the minutes instead of the days, then you will be dead, and all you will have is the Experiences.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

MackDaddy, man your wiring is sure nice! Mine looks like a rats nest up in there!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks Steve. Many hours of work to get it there, but it's done!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendevries View Post
Where did you grab your relay power from? and also is that just a normal 12v socket under the seat coming off the box that you plug the car charger for the gps into?
The relay power 'switch' wire comes from the tag light. The GPS cigarette car charger plugs into a female adapter which I cut the alligator clips off and hooked up to the fuse box. I got it from Advance auto parts.

It looks like this:

The other wire coming off the fuse box goes to another outlet I added:

For use with my mini air compressor, heated clothing, charging laptop in side case etc..

Last edited by Xo0oM; 07-07-2009 at 07:45 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

You sure do a professional job, I definitally will be coping you, thanks again for your help and the photos!

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM

has anyone seen a 12v outlet that will connect to a battery tender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode