starting issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
starting issue

ok got a 08 pushin 40,000 miles bought new, went to start her up and nothing hit the button again clicking sound under seat go to investigate clicking sound seems to come from selanoid or magnetic switch if i pushed on it start right up so get a new one put it on starts up go out next morning and same thing either clicking or nothing, get into it this morning directly in front of battery above selanoid is a flat black box w/ big gray plug i can feel the clicking and push down on it starts right up is this black box the brain i hate to keep buying parts if not needed i guess i should take to shop to troubleshoot, thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM

How old is your battery? If it is old I would start by replacing it or at least check the voltage

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

replaced battery (it was the original) first thing sorry i should have said that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure your idle is set at 1300rpm my battery would;t charge properly because the idle was too low..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Check and clean your relay/solenoid/battery and ground connections. Remove what you're pushing on to make it start, to clean all male and female plug-ins with contact cleaner, then reconnect and reinstall. Make sure you have good tight connections.

Last edited by invader; 10-12-2013 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 AM

Mine has 33,000 Km and the starter relay just died 2 days ago. I too first thought it was the battery going by the clicking sound alone, but buying a new battery did not solve the problem, and the same clicking sound

There are 2 starter solenoids, one is located on the left side behind a little black cover. This was the culprit at 380 Thai Baht or 12.00 USD. The beauty of a made in Thailand bike is cheap parts

The stand alone starter relay is easy to check. at zero voltage the resistance is zero, and with 12V it is infinite.

There is also another relay box that contains several relays, one of which is another starter relay, located near the battery and requires tank removal - see the manual. This is not serviceable and if any one of the relays or diodes inside dies you need the entire new box.
There is also a resistance checking method detailed in the manual

I thought it odd that I needed a starter relay so soon, and odder yet that the Dealer had one in stock. Is this a known failure item?

Last edited by Hoghead; 10-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
...I thought it odd that I needed a starter relay so soon, and odder yet that the Dealer had one in stock. Is this a known failure item?
I don't think so....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode