Bar ends - vibration reduction - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar ends - vibration reduction

How much do the bar end weights really help in vibration reduction? Is there anything better out there? I noticed from some the pics on the forum, folks have removed them when they put hand guards on. I would like to reduce a couple of inches on the side and possibly put on some hand guards.

Cheers,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
How much do the bar end weights really help in vibration reduction?
Very little. The difference between having them on and off was insignificant to me.

One of the better solutions for vibration is an aluminum fat-bar (1-1/8" diameter in the clamp area), but you'll need different clamps or adapters to make that work.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM

If one were to use ROX risers, do the clutch cables and such reach ok? Anybody?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:02 PM

I have one of my bar ends off (mirror in its place) and I didn't really notice any difference.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
That would depend on the bar you use with the risers, wouldn't it? It seems there is enough slack for about an inch taller bar (overall), after that, you may need to change routing of wiring and cables to make it fit.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
How much do the bar end weights really help in vibration reduction? Is there anything better out there? I noticed from some the pics on the forum, folks have removed them when they put hand guards on. I would like to reduce a couple of inches on the side and possibly put on some hand guards.

Cheers,
Colin
A heavier than stock bar end will reduce vibrations. But its all too common for manufacturers to install insufficient weights on their bars.

I have the heavy throttlemeister bar ends, and it did cut the vibs way down.

Overall though, the Versys vibrations aren't bad compared to inline fours, where the high frequency vibs can cause serious numbness and hand problems.

I've had good results going to heavier than stock bar ends on all my bikes.

If you want to reduce vibs, go heavier. If the stock vibs don't bother you, you will not notice a significant difference removing the stock weights.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM

I took my bar end weights off in order to put on my hand deflectors. I have ridden 1000 miles since, and I have not noticed any difference in vibration in the handle bars. I may put them back on though, as they can provide some protection for the bike in a tip over. But I have to modify them for them to fit over my hand deflector attachment point.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I took my bar end weights off in order to put on my hand deflectors. I have ridden 1000 miles since, and I have not noticed any difference in vibration in the handle bars. I may put them back on though, as they can provide some protection for the bike in a tip over. But I have to modify them for them to fit over my hand deflector attachment point.
Which hand deflectors did you install?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Which hand deflectors did you install?
I installed Buel Ulyses hand guards. I included a part number/price list for these on this forum a few months ago. They installed fairly easily, and fit just fine, and they have the same shape and look as the stock Versys mirrors. I am going to eventually have to notch out my Givi windshield sides in order to get more turn lock with these on. I only notice lack of turn lock when moving my bike around in my garage, and sometimes when I am ballancing at a stop (Trials style).
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I have the Rox Risers with the stock bars and had no trouble with cable length. I have played with the dampening adjustment on the risers and it seems to make a slight difference.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Rox Risers. Stock handlebars. Laid bike down on right side. Filled bars with lead shot.

What vibes?

This is wierd I know. I didnt really think the vibrations were that bad. But during my first long ride? 800 mile day? My left hand kept falling asleep. The lead shot cured it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Rox Risers. Stock handlebars. Laid bike down on right side. Filled bars with lead shot.

What vibes?

This is wierd I know. I didnt really think the vibrations were that bad. But during my first long ride? 800 mile day? My left hand kept falling asleep. The lead shot cured it.
So, how did you get the lead shot into the bars? Through the 8 mm bolt hole on the ends?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
So, how did you get the lead shot into the bars? Through the 8 mm bolt hole on the ends?
Easy. Put two large blocks on floor. Laid dog's cushion on top of them. Laid bike over on it's right side. Went to reloading bench grabbed a sack of 7.5 lead shot. Removed left bar end. Used a small funnel and a short piece of rubber hose. Took about 10 minutes!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Hi Siyeh,

Read about those lead shots in the bars and your easy method.
Thanks for conforming it would work. Might try it.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 AM

My bar ends will be coming off in favor of some mirrors that I got of ebay. Damn mirrors are so small there twice as bad as the stock ones but there are the right design and size if I place them on the bar ends. Just waiting for my 10mm to 8mm adapters to test out the idea. The stock mirrors are coming off and the location might be a good mounting point for some turn signals or lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in