Of Chains, Lube & MPG? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Of Chains, Lube & MPG?

Ok, so here is my sad tale. I am doing training rides for my up coming Great Lakes Challenge (2400 mi in 3 days). This Sunday I rode 760 miles. On my first & second tank I got 49.72 & 49.88 mpg. On the third I got 44.09 and on the fourth I think it will end up being around 40 or less.

I was returning home and at one point needed to use my right hand. So I just clutched in to coast. When I did I could feel a rhythmic throb on my foot pegs. I moved my feet up to the highway bars, and felt nothing, so I assumed it was not the engine.

I got home and put it up on the center stand and turned the back wheel and heard a squeak squeak! It sounded like something was rubbing the tire! I did a visual and could not see anything. This is my first ride of any consequence after I had new tires installed and so I checked to make sure that the alignment indicators matched. Low and behold the idiots are the dealer put them on wrong the alignment lines go front to back not up and down! Also the chain is way too tight.

I got down close and turned the tire again and realized that it was coming from the plastic chain guide as the chain traveled across it. I lubed my chain and the squeak went away.

So my question is this: did the improper installation cause this to wear badly, or the lack of lubing it for 760 miles be the root cause? Needless to say I'm not happy.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What's your total mileage now? How often did you lube and check it during the trip? See how it is now that it's properly adjusted and lubed... It will have caused accelerated wear on the chain and sprockets. Didn't it feel a bit strange on the road with the misalignment? Their work should have been checked to make sure. Only you can take the time to assure it's done properly.
My original chain stretched out unevenly from the start, and I upgraded it with new sprockets at 2500 miles. I'm averaging 55 miles per US gallon in various riding conditions and speeds, even with all my mods.

Last edited by invader; 06-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Their work should have been checked to make sure. Only you can take the time to assure it's done properly. .

Trust but verify. I know how you feel. We pass our joy to a professional and it gets screwed after that
I am still on the OEM chain and sprockets for total 17K now. However, no abnormal sounds so far and the chain tension is okay. Maybe due to the scottoiler. The rims get dirty but it's a traded off having insufficient lubing.

Shows of abrasion on your chain and plastic guide means there was contact.
Only you know it the lubing was good. (spray my other bike chain every 300 km). For mileage, never really did find out yet.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Hard to get any lube past those o rings. About all you can do is wipe down with an oily rag to clean it. With that said I still spray mine with "chain wax" after wiping it clean even tho I am pretty certain it just makes me feel better and does little for the chain!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It was not the chain that was squeaking, but the chain guide as the chain passed over it. I did not Lube on my trip. I am thinking I will need to get the Scottoiler.

I agree that the o-rings keep out lube, but I assume that part of the reason to lube is the metal on metal contact between chain and sprockets.

I have not fixed the alignment indicators, but they do appear to be in alignment. I will let the dealer fix the alignment.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Too tight a chain and the misalignment would cause excessive wear to the chain, sprockets and even the seals on the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode