Any conflicts between lowering block and Hyperpro lower shock? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any conflicts between lowering block and Hyperpro lower shock?

Just bought the Hyperpro progressive shock with 1-1/4" lowering, and plan on using Speedy's lowering block with it. Then drop the front forks and that should get a good 3" drop.

Are there any known conflicts with combining these modifications? Especially the two mods to the rear shock?

I am VERY new to this, and my short dad bought this bike and cannot ride it until I get it lowered for him. So, technically, it is my bike for the next 2 weeks until all the parts come in and I get it put back together for him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The extra 2" rear drop would be excessive, and too low for the front. They're certainly not designed or meant to be used together. Handling would suffer from more front rake, more weight transfer to the rear, and there would likely be clearance problems. The Hyperpro shock's 1.25" drop with fork clamps lowered a bit would be just right. You'll probably still have to shorten the side stand... A Kawasaki low gel seat provides an extra 2" drop.

Last edited by invader; 06-27-2009 at 04:20 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

That was what I was worried about...getting TOO much drop at one place on the suspension.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone done it to verify that it won't work?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM

The lowering block requires the front fork legs to be moved up in the triple clamps as far as they can go. Any more and the leg diameter is too small for the lower clamp to grip. If it's also combined with a shorter rear suspension unit, the front end geometry will be affected. Most likely, you'll have to shove it down into the corners because of the increased trail.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

So 3" in back and 1" drop in front is going to affect the bike so much that it will be unsafe, uncomfortable, or all of the above?

Not being used as a performance bike. Just to and from work with minimal fuel consumption.

My dad is DESTINED to get that thing down 3" from where it is stock...unless you guys can tell me how to talk him out of it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM

See no reason the bike would be unsafe (in fact it may well be more stable); however, it will steer a bit slower (ever ride a chopper). Many quasi choppers have been created by replacing the shocks with SHORT struts. They go in a straight line very well but are slower to turn. What you talking about is no-where near that drastic.

Let us know how it rides after the changes!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM

gti20vturbo had Speedy's lowering block, then went back to stock which he prefers with the 2" lower gel seat. With the lowering block: "The front end feels much less planted when riding two up (might feel the same with just a heavy rider?). When riding solo its just a touch different in regards to how the front end feels when pushing it and the steering is a little slower but not a lot. I prefer the bike in its stock configuration, it just feels more like its ready to pounce on something rather than slug along."
You'd also have even less suspension travel than with just the lowered Hagon shock, as the block increases wheel travel to shock compression ratio. There's also a good chance the tire would hit the plastic inner fender under the seat when bottoming out. It would just be ridiculously and dangerously out of whack. Just tell your dad to get the dang 2" lower gel seat before someone gets killed.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Ya'll don't know my dad.

Actually, I am heavier than he is, but 6'-1" (don't ask me how I am that tall and he and mom are 5'-6" and shorter, can anyone say "milkman"?).

Dad has already had me order the shock AND lowering block. We will try them both and I will ride it and see what it does.

There will never be any passengers, and it will only be dad riding on highways to work, interstates most, if not all, of the driving.

So, if something doesn't feel right or it bottoms out, there will be a shock for sale on here soon...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper77515 View Post
Ya'll don't know my dad.
Actually, I am heavier than he is, but 6'-1" (don't ask me how I am that tall and he and mom are 5'-6" and shorter, can anyone say "milkman"?).
Dad has already had me order the shock AND lowering block. We will try them both and I will ride it and see what it does.
There will never be any passengers, and it will only be dad riding on highways to work, interstates most, if not all, of the driving.
So, if something doesn't feel right or it bottoms out, there will be a shock for sale on here soon...
Sounds to me like your Dad bought the wrong bike. Trying to lower the bike that much, if not outright dangerous (I think it would be), hamstrings all the qualities that make the Versys what it is. If he's just trying to get better MPG on his commute, he'd be better off with a 75mpg Buell Blast or something similar. (and cheaper)

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM

That's what I was thinking too, potus2012...
Scooper77515; he'd be better off keeping the shock and selling the block. I'm not sure if it would bottom out. It depends on Hyperpro's lower shock's compressed length. He would then need to get a set of used Ninja 650R forks and clamps... Can't your dad simply have his legs lengthened?

Last edited by invader; 07-01-2009 at 10:32 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can't your dad simply have his legs lenghtened?
THAT would be the optimal solution!!!

Not sure, but I think he must have got this bike for a steal. It has 4k miles, 2008 model year, and he paid just a touch over $5000 after TTL.

And his quote from my last email to him was...

Quote:
lets just do what we were going to do and see what we have.we can always change back no way will i sell the bike
But, the entire family agrees with all of you guys. He bought the wrong bike for his body build.

It is always a bad sign when you lay the bike down twice while test driving...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4397

Installed both and tested it with nearly 600 lbs (driver, passenger, and me hanging on the back bouncing) and it never got down to within 1.5" of fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode