Install Rostra/Audiovox Global Cruise Control - VSS location - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Install Rostra/Audiovox Global Cruise Control - VSS location

I've ordered the Rostra Global Cruise Control unit. This doesn't require a vacuum as the actuator is electronic. I read the installation of the vacuum type cruise control, but didn't want to mess with the bikes vacuum circuit. The only question I have is where is the VSS wire/color? Does anyone know it's color or location? I'd rather use this than connect to the red/bk wire on stick coil 1, although that apparently works as well (actually, Rostra uses the tach signal to turn the unit off if there is a sudden jump in RPM as happens when you pull in the clutch, but it can't be used to control the speed. And the VSS on our bike doesn't work to control the speed either). I also intend to connect the unit so it will turn off with either the brake or clutch. If anyone has gone down this road and can help, I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise, I'll give it my best shot. I've installed a cruise on a goldwing before and know it's a big job. I've been spoiled with using a cruise control and so here I go. It will be a few weeks before I'll be able to do the install. It will probably take a long weekend. Neil

Last edited by neilgn; 08-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM

I installed the Audiovox on my Versys this past winter, works great, it rocks actually, best mod yet. The VSS wire is the grey wire coming off the sensor at the countershaft sprocket, but I couldn't get that to work well, so I went with the wire tapped off the stick coil. As for the vac connection, eh, I made it, and noticed little impact at all.

Do a search here, I made a little write up and linked in a ton of install pics. The job itself isn't too bad, it is just knowing how to make all the connections, and the packaging of everything. Once done, I bet I could install another one in a few hours.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I finally have all I need to install mine and will be attempting it this week! Audiovox with vacuum. I will post pics. I will be going with the coil wire. Will try to post pics, although the garage is a little dark.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I finished the install of the cruise control, but it didn't work. In diagnostic mode, it showed that all the signals were working. So I returned the unit and got a replacement yesterday. I was relieved to find that it worked. If I had it to do over again, I might use the Audiovox CCS 100. It's half the price and works well. The rostra unit is not compatible with the VSS signal, and you can' use the tach to control your speed. I had a magnet kit from a old Audiovox unit that I used instead of the VSS signal. I placed 7 magnets around the rim of the rotor to generate seven pulses per revolution.

The unit works excellently at highway speeds. It instantly engages with no hesitation and keeps the speed steady. I can engage it as low as 25 miles per hour, but at that speed, it's constantly making corrections so the bike speeds up then slows down. At 35 up a gradual incline it works quite well. On the level there's a little problem with it speeding up and slowing down. If it's downhill, forget it. This unit has a lot of dip switch adjustments, but I haven't tried to adjust those to see how it works. I'm very pleased with the results, but it was a tough installation and the fact that I had to use a magnet kit was a bit of a disappointment to me. The unit is larger than I expected, and it barely fits under the left fairing beside the gas tank. On the other hand, I love having cruise control and it works excellently at the speeds needed most, 45 mph and up. Neil

Last edited by neilgn; 08-02-2009 at 09:55 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgn View Post
I finished the install of the cruise control, but it didn't work. In diagnostic mode, it showed that all the signals were working. So I returned the unit and got a replacement yesterday. I was relieved to find that it worked. If I had it to do over again, I might use the Audiovox CCS 100. It's half the price and works well. The rostra unit is not compatible with the VSS signal, and you can' use the tach to control your speed. I had a magnet kit from a old Audiovox unit that I used instead of the VSS signal. I placed 7 magnets around the rim of the rotor to generate seven pulses per revolution.

The unit works excellently at highway speeds. It instantly engages with no hesitation and keeps the speed steady. I can engage it as low as 25 miles per hour, but at that speed, it's constantly making corrections so the bike speeds up then slows down. At 35 up a gradual incline it works quite well. On the level there's a little problem with it speeding up and slowing down. If it's downhill, forget it. This unit has a lot of dip switch adjustments, but I haven't tried to adjust those to see how it works. I'm very pleased with the results, but it was a tough installation and the fact that I had to use a magnet kit was a bit of a disappointment to me. The unit is larger than I expected, and it barely fits under the left fairing beside the gas tank. On the other hand, I love having cruise control and it works excellently at the speeds needed most, 45 mph and up. Neil

Too bad that unit is such a PITA. The Audiovox CCS 100 is so easy, one wire to the coil and works flawlessly...

As for the low speed/high rpm snatch, I had this issue too, make sure the pull cable has near zero slack, it makes a huge difference. I can cruise at 30 MPH with no snatch at all, very smooth. Also, check your dip switches, not sure about your unit, but I found for the Audiovox the recommendations on the internet are for 4 cylinder engines and I found for our twin we needed slightly different settings I forget my settings off hand, but I am pretty sure I set it to medium sensitivity and for 2000 PPM as I was having snachiness at high RPM/low speeds and it would struggling to stay engaged below 40 MPH.

On the level it should work prefect, in fact, even going up most hills mine will hold speed with no problem. I think you need to check your slack and your dip switches. Did you use a vac canister, and if so, did you tap both TB vac ports? On port will not supply enough vacuum. Also interesting that you put it under the front fairing, mine fit really nice under the seat where the tool kit goes and you can run the cable/wires along the stock wiring harness route.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Check switches

Marc,

The Rostra unit is totally electronic with no vacuum connection. I tried putting it under the seat but it didn't fit. I even thought of cutting out the bottom of the tray under the seat and to put it in that location but decided against it. It fits under the fairing but it's tight.

As to the switches, I'm going to leave it be for now, and get some miles on it to see how it works. Then I'll take the side fairing off and set the switches to see how it works. Here's how the dip switches work:

4 sensitivity settings. I set it at the lowest

16 settings for the number of pulses per mile. I get seven pulses per wheel turn (seven magnets). I set it at 6000 pulses per mile.

8 settings for Engine/SetUp Timer. Ranges from 8 cyl low to 4 cyl extra high. This determines how quickly it engages when you press the set button. But I'll have to play with this. I set it to the lowest setting, 8 cyl low.

To get an idea of how these setting affect the unit, I'll go to extremes, particularly on the Engline/SetUp timer. That's still a little bit of a mystery in it's affect.

The technician told me to make sure there was no more than 1/8 inch of slack in the cable. So I adjusted that. When I press the set button, it instantly engages. I can immediately let go of the throttle and it's set. My voyager that comes with cruise control had a problem in that it took a few second before it seemed to engage. I adjusted the slack and it worked perfect and instantly. You made a good point. When the Goldwing 1800 came out, I took a test ride and was surprised that when I used the cruise control, it took several seconds for it to engage. In reading on the Goldwing sight, I found that the problem was common and caused by too much slack in the cable.

Thanks for your comments. I'll be out of the country for about two weeks, but when I get back, I'll play with those switches. I'm just tired of taking the fairing off and on. Seems like that's all I've done the past few weeks as I intermittently worked on this. Neil
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgn View Post
Marc,

The Rostra unit is totally electronic with no vacuum connection. I tried putting it under the seat but it didn't fit. I even thought of cutting out the bottom of the tray under the seat and to put it in that location but decided against it. It fits under the fairing but it's tight.

As to the switches, I'm going to leave it be for now, and get some miles on it to see how it works. Then I'll take the side fairing off and set the switches to see how it works. Here's how the dip switches work:

4 sensitivity settings. I set it at the lowest

16 settings for the number of pulses per mile. I get seven pulses per wheel turn (seven magnets). I set it at 6000 pulses per mile.

8 settings for Engine/SetUp Timer. Ranges from 8 cyl low to 4 cyl extra high. This determines how quickly it engages when you press the set button. But I'll have to play with this. I set it to the lowest setting, 8 cyl low.

To get an idea of how these setting affect the unit, I'll go to extremes, particularly on the Engline/SetUp timer. That's still a little bit of a mystery in it's affect.

The technician told me to make sure there was no more than 1/8 inch of slack in the cable. So I adjusted that. When I press the set button, it instantly engages. I can immediately let go of the throttle and it's set. My voyager that comes with cruise control had a problem in that it took a few second before it seemed to engage. I adjusted the slack and it worked perfect and instantly. You made a good point. When the Goldwing 1800 came out, I took a test ride and was surprised that when I used the cruise control, it took several seconds for it to engage. In reading on the Goldwing sight, I found that the problem was common and caused by too much slack in the cable.

Thanks for your comments. I'll be out of the country for about two weeks, but when I get back, I'll play with those switches. I'm just tired of taking the fairing off and on. Seems like that's all I've done the past few weeks as I intermittently worked on this. Neil
Neil, Did you ever get the Rostra all sorted out? I have just purchased a unit and about to install. Any comments/ advice would be very usefull.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Lurking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audiovox, cruise control, global cruise, rostra, vss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode