Replacement instruments under warranty. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacement instruments under warranty.

After six months of ownership the reset button on my Versys no longer works. It happened gradually over a couple of months with it taking one or two pushes to get the trip meters to zero untill today when it finally gave up. The dealer has ordered a complete replacement instrument unit. Back to zreo on the speedo which is a pain.
Anyone else experience this? The dealer had only ever had one other Kawasaki with this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 AM

Yup, same thing. Takes a few times to click in. Oh well, off to the dealer.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm sure there is a way for your mileage to be entered into the new cluster. I would call Kawasaki directly and ask.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM

I thought they were required by law to reprogram the new cluster.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Schleppy for trying to find out about how to set your original milage onto the new instrument cluster. In New Zealand it isn't mandatory to reset your new mileage recording to match the old. Often restored bikes that have been totally rebuilt are sold with a near zero reading on the odometer.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM

I don't think that it can be reset. I just had a new odometer put in a Subaru and it went in at zero. The technician said that there was no way to reset the original mileage.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 AM

I just visited a friend that had a Harley speedometer replaced with a new one that has the tach built in the bottom. Is a harley extra and they had a device he told me and watched them. They set the old milage on the meter and turned it on and it runs it up to the current milage on your old one. They are required by Harley if they sell one to change the miles or they won't sell you one. Is manditory by law here on a car you have to sign a paper stateing the speedo has been replaced when you sell it or you are in for big trouble. I think old bikes from a certain year back are not reqired to list correct milage. I know if you don't state the change it can be a big liability issue and did know one person who sold a car without telling and they ended up replaceing a new engine or buying back the car for full selling price. Check into it further and see before you ever sell it. Is why the new cars come with tamper proof speedo and not like the old ones we unhooked to not let our dad know we ran his car all night. Sure was hard reaching all the way to unscrew the cable. Good old days.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post
After six months of ownership the reset button on my Versys no longer works. It happened gradually over a couple of months with it taking one or two pushes to get the trip meters to zero untill today when it finally gave up. The dealer has ordered a complete replacement instrument unit. Back to zreo on the speedo which is a pain.
Anyone else experience this? The dealer had only ever had one other Kawasaki with this problem.
At least it's still under warranty and you can still ride it, my water pump started leaking at 1,000 miles....waiting,waiting and waiting for parts and collecting dust...........GRRRR!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I have also faced the same problem but I had to replace the whole head system.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

I got tired of waiting for Kawasaki NZ to get a new speedo unit in so I took my one apart and squirted a small amount of CRC into the switch units and pushed them in and out a few times. Put the unit back together and the button is now working. I wonder if some moisture had found its way into the switch and the CRC cleared it. Two weeks on and all is working well. Four weeks on and still no warranty replacement arrived yet. When it does I will keep it as a spare in case my repair doesn't last.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 AM

the reset button acts the same way for me. I have to push it several times to get it to reset. I thought maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right or something.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi126 View Post
I have also faced the same problem but I had to replace the whole head system.
samabhi126,

What happen to your ODO once you replaced the whole head system?
Does the ODO resetted back to "Zero"?

I just changed my speedometer on my Versys, because my Speedometer Mode not funtional 100%.
After I changed the speedometer, my ODO has been resetted to "Zero" automatically. My actual ODO milage is about 15500KM.

Anyone having the same problem like me?

Last edited by crocs; 09-02-2009 at 01:08 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Would you believe the replacement speedo unit has yet to arrive!!
My fix with CRC spray has continued to work with absolutely no problems or any indication it might go back to the way it was.
It seems to be a permanent fix.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM

Hello, I had the same problem. I disconnected the speedo, opened it and I found out that the piece of plastic that is moving has to be positionned in a certain way to work. I tried to insert a small piece of plastic to force the plastic pin to stay straight and it worked. My button now work again and I am glad!

For your information, the Mileage is stored in the ECU unit. When I disconnected the speedo, my battery was still on. The only thing that reseted were the Trip meters and the Clock. The mileage stayed as is once reconnected.

Unfortunately, I did not take pics but I will be happy to explain better if anybody is interested...

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

My new instrument cluster arrived yesterday. I had to fit it and return the old one otherwise the shop couldn't get a refund under warranty. My CRC repair was still working fine.
The new speedo wasn't able to be cranked up to 10,000 kms so I am back to zero.
About NZ$1000 for the new one.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
My fix with CRC spray has continued to work with absolutely no problems or any indication it might go back to the way it was.
It seems to be a permanent fix.
What is CRC Spray?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM

CRC is non-conductive electrical contact cleaner. Stuff is great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 AM

zeph, how did you take your reset switch apart to spray it?

John
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

I didn't take the actual switch apart. I just seperated the plates so I could get a look at the switch and realising I couldn't dismantle it , squirted a little CRC into the base of the switch. I then pushed the switch on and off a few times and put the speedo unit back together.
It continued to work fine and showed no signs of any further trouble.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the prior POST's. Made me realize I wanted to talk to shop and settle for a NEW Cluster while it being parked for the Winter. Fumbled with the non-functioning button long enough. After reading posts it became a pain to me. lol
Actually good timing it's end Oct and April 2010 is long time coming till riding season again. 7336 mile on the V this summer, nearly 1000 on gravel roads. Love this bike, feels light, nimble, second Gear wheelies and good suspension to absorb the Frost heaved roads in Alaska.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode