5 years, 40k+ Miles, first mechanical issue... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
5 years, 40k+ Miles, first mechanical issue...

Hello there fellow forum members,
It's been a while since I've been on here, but I come seeking advice.
I've had my Versys since 08, and it's pretty much my daily driver.
Lately though, maybe 3-4 times in the last few weeks I've had a little issue...
it only has happened at night, not sure if its coincidental or not...
but when I'm leaving from work, I start up the bike, and it starts just fine.
I hop on and start putting down the road only to realize the bike just hesitates to go above 5-6k RPM... it starts bogging/losing power... for about a hundred yards or so, and then bam it kicks back in full force and the rest of the 10ish mile ride is fine.
It's happened a few times now, so I'm worried it could get worse and wanna nip it in the bud before it becomes a real issue.
The first time it happened I guess I assumed it was bad gas, but I've gone through a tank since then and it has happened a few more times....

what should I be looking out for?!?!

FYI, I do all basic maintenance myself... oil, sparks, air filter etc...
I have not had valves checked, or have had anything internally on the engine touched, as I'm of the camp of "if its working, don't mess with it.."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Has this all been on the same tank? Could be bad gas.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Do you let the bike warm up at all before you start out? Do you hear the fuel pump priming before you fire up the engine?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM

My valves were just about out of spec after only 12,000 miles or so... I would check those so you don't burn a valve and have a BIG problem (bike is dead).

Having said that, I have no idea what the problem could be...

Fuel pump/fuel filter???
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'd run some Berrymans B-12 or Lucas Engine Cleaner through it at first.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM

1. Does FI light come on when "bogging" takes place? If yes, check FI error code.
2. How long since spark plugs replaced?
3. How long since air filter cleaned?
4. Fuel tank venting ok? Open cap next trip, see if anything changes.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Hello there fellow forum members,
It's been a while since I've been on here, but I come seeking advice.
I've had my Versys since 08, and it's pretty much my daily driver.
Lately though, maybe 3-4 times in the last few weeks I've had a little issue...
it only has happened at night, not sure if its coincidental or not...
but when I'm leaving from work, I start up the bike, and it starts just fine.
I hop on and start putting down the road only to realize the bike just hesitates to go above 5-6k RPM... it starts bogging/losing power... for about a hundred yards or so, and then bam it kicks back in full force and the rest of the 10ish mile ride is fine.
It's happened a few times now, so I'm worried it could get worse and wanna nip it in the bud before it becomes a real issue.
The first time it happened I guess I assumed it was bad gas, but I've gone through a tank since then and it has happened a few more times....

what should I be looking out for?!?!

FYI, I do all basic maintenance myself... oil, sparks, air filter etc...
I have not had valves checked, or have had anything internally on the engine touched, as I'm of the camp of "if its working, don't mess with it.."
I've had the same issue a couple of times. It is just because the engine is cold. Do change the spark plugs though if they have more than 7500 miles on them and clean the air filter at the same time. A throttle body synch is important to do annually and it is important to do the valve adjustment. It does not hurt to do this more frequently than recommended.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Sounds like petrol filter might be blocked.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies fellas.. I really appreciate the input.
So some answers and questions...
It has NOT been on a single tank of gas, I have put new gas in since the issue started.
FI lights comes on fine when I turn the key, fuel pump primes like always, bikes starts absolutely normally and sounds fine. I don't really "warm up" the bike, i turn it on and take about a minute to gear up. I then maneuver out of the parking lot onto the road and give it gas, that is when I notice the issue. It is right around 5-6k RPM that it starts "bogging" and chokes if I push it, seems fine under 5k rpm. No FI light comes on when the issue is occurring.

I keep moving slowly down the road and within usually 100 yards or so full power kicks back in and I feel it surge forward. Bikes acts perfectly normal from there on out.

As far as I know the venting on the gas tank is OK. I have not noticed any issues or sounds other than normal venting when parked.

Sparks and air filter are probably due for a good change/cleaning , its probably been over 10k, but I don't want to assume its those... as
A) If spark was bad then at least one cylinder wouldn't be working, at least not correctly, and I think I would notice the issue regularly at all RPMs...
B) If air filter was clogged, and not letting the bike breath, it would not magically fix itself after 30 seconds and then reoccur on a different day.

I thought about the fuel filter, but I have the same thoughts on that as the air filter. I can't imagine it would get clogged, then unclog itself, then do the same thing again a week later under similar conditions, so on, so forth....

I thought about the cold too, but it's not cold here. Given its about 25 degrees cooler at night than day, but I'm in AZ so our night temp lately has been 75ish... and I've taken this bike through snow without these issues in the past.

If you think its still likely spark, air filter, fuel filter, etc... let me know! but let me know why... I'm willing to dig in, if it makes sense to me to do so.
If it's possible this is being caused by valves, or TB, or anything outside of my regular maintenance, please explain to me how/why so I know what I'm getting into.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 09-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM

Is there anything different in the conditions from home to work where you park the bike? Has it rained there lately causing moisture to get in where it shouldn't?

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM

Next time you ride, let it warm up until it drops from fast idle to slow, and see if that makes any difference. I'm betting it's a temperature related issue, and the bike is warming up sufficiently in those first 100 yards of riding to get past it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

I was told when I bought mine to warm it up because the injectors need to reach 105 degrees minimum to work properly. Since it only happens at night when it's cooler I'd suspect the warm up time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Next time you ride, let it warm up until it drops from fast idle to slow, and see if that makes any difference. I'm betting it's a temperature related issue, and the bike is warming up sufficiently in those first 100 yards of riding to get past it.
That sounds more than likely... but whats causing this issue all of a sudden? I've had this thing for 5 years and have never had this happen before.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 PM

give this a read .. seems to be what your V is doing ,,,,, throttle sensor

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=35178

Last edited by woodsplitter; 09-26-2013 at 07:12 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Yes, I thought TPS too. As for warming up the bike, Kevin Cameron of CW says bikes warmed for 2 minutes last much longer.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM

I would probably change the plugs, the first thing I'll do. Usually as the gap widens, more voltage is required for a good spark to occur especially at higher RPM. I'll add in some fuel system cleaner to clean off carbon deposits at the intake valves and injectors. These carbon deposits can act as a sponge to absorb the fuel mist, confusing the ECU causing the bike to act weirdly.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:

Last edited by 2daMax; 09-27-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode