Can't tell what's bent! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can't tell what's bent!

Hey all,

I laid the V down this past Friday, low-speed spill on wet tracks. That's a-whole-nother post.

Anyway, I replaced the bars, grips, side cowling and gernerator cover and all is well except I can't tell exactly what is still bent. My new handlebars tilt ever-so-slightly forward on the left side. It _appears_ the handlebar clamp is bent (where it connects to the triple) but I don't know how to tell for sure.

I'll have to post pics if necessary when I get home, but until then is there some way a relatively non-mechanic can get an idea of what is actually bent ?

The bike steers straight, even if I let go of the bars... no drift. Looking dead on at the front wheel (with a friend on it) I don't see any alignment prob on the front. Tire/wheel looks fine. No wobble. brakes work fine. Bike runs/rides perfect.

but...

If I look dead-on down at the HB clamp at speed, the right-lower bolt that secures the bars (not the one connected to the triple), looks closer to the tank than the left-lower bolt. This would make me believe that its the lower-half of the clamp. It would make sense because I hit the pavement on the left side of the bike and I would expect it could have torqued the HB clamp to the right a little.

So, is there any good way to know for sure ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM

When I had my spill, I put a slight tweak in the steering.

I was 1000 miles from home, with limited tools. I took bike to a high curb and jambed the front wheel parallel against it. Then gently pushed the bar in the other direction. 12,000miles later no problems and steering is dead straight.

If you had a really hard bash and steering was a long way out, you could try a tape measure from the of the center of the front axle bolt to the center of the rear axle bolt. It should obviously be identical. If they weren't you can slacken triple tree nuts slightly and adjust that way.

You are unlikely to have bent a fork leg, (it would probably leak-so check its not). Pushing it back should cure it.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I second what machog said. More than likely your forks/ triple clamps relationship changed. Go up to a telephone pole with your front wheel right alongside it, then 'flick' your bars HARD into the pole (the appropriate direction, of course!), then take a look if they're back to normal. This is what we used to do when I raced enduros after a "crash" (just did this a few days ago after I 'dropped' my KLR at slow speed....).
Ed

Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM

What they said; happens to us on dirtbikes all the time. On the track, we just grab the bars and push with the wheel between our legs, up against a tree or whatever. In the shop, just loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps and then align everything up (remembering to torque the triple clamp bolts back up, of course!)

Cheers,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
What they said; happens to us on dirtbikes all the time. On the track, we just grab the bars and push with the wheel between our legs, up against a tree or whatever. In the shop, just loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps and then align everything up (remembering to torque the triple clamp bolts back up, of course!)

Cheers,
Dave

BINGO! Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM

So I did the same thing cetzel did (low speed lay down, replaced bars). Just came back from my first test ride and was dismayed to see the bars are still out of whack - but not as bad with the new bars, at least.

First thing I did then was search the forum and found this thread. So now my question is for cetzel if he's around, did the telephone pole trick work?

I checked out the service manual and there's really nothing in there talking about fork alignment, the only thing I found was to make sure the top of the tube was 12mm above the triple clamp.

Any and all wisdom appreciated...
Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM

On my KLR I've loosened the pinch bolts holding the fork at the steering head and worked the suspension up & down to get things lining up better. Nothing bent, just a little tweaked.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
So I did the same thing cetzel did (low speed lay down, replaced bars). Just came back from my first test ride and was dismayed to see the bars are still out of whack - but not as bad with the new bars, at least.

First thing I did then was search the forum and found this thread. So now my question is for cetzel if he's around, did the telephone pole trick work?

I checked out the service manual and there's really nothing in there talking about fork alignment, the only thing I found was to make sure the top of the tube was 12mm above the triple clamp.

Any and all wisdom appreciated...
I'm still here. It worked. I used a curb in my dad's neighborhood to straighten the bars. took some trial and error and I had to be careful not to scratch the rim.

Not 100% but close enough that it only annoys me if I stare at the bars while riding ... but then I have other problems if I'm staring at the bars.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 PM

I'll be damned but that telephone pole trick did it! It might still be off a hair but I'll be doing the loosen-pinch-bolt/squash-fork-a-couple-times/torque-pinch-bolt process just for piece of mind next rainy weekend.
Thanks cetzel and Baron650! I owe ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in