New Air Valves with New Tires or Not? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Air Valves with New Tires or Not?

Hi all,

I'm planning to do my first tire changes myself (ever!)... I've read the manual and watched some videos on wheel removals, tire changes, etc... the manual says to change the valve with EVERY TIRE CHANGE... In another forum, some people do not change it with every tire change, some do. What do you guys do?

Is there a specific valve stem for moto tires? Does the change require special tools?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When i replaced the stock tires i switched out the stock valve stems for metal valve stems. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ve-Stem.aspxon on my second set of tires with them and will continue to use them. If i replace them i will get a set of the 90degree metal valve stems to make airing up the tire easier.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-24-2013 at 11:39 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 PM

The manual also says to check the air filter anytime you've ridden in the rain and to change spark plugs at relatively short intervals....

I usually have two to three tires changed out each year since I've gotten my V and the valve stems are still the original ones from 08. I just think the manual is being overly cautious. If they're not leaking or dry rotting they should be fine.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

tire valves

this has been mentioned on this forum before:

KurveyGirl sells many different parts
and they are a small, 2-person family run business
that selld QUALITY Stuff for very good prices.

Here is a link for their choice of the angled metal tire valves.
and the prices shown are for a pair (2) of them.

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169

And for all of you BLING type riders....excellent choice of colors too.

Using a angled valve sure does make checking your air pressure a snap
instead of a struggle. And adding air is way easier too.
You will be able to bump up the air pressure quickly and easily,
PLUS with the added benefit of not adding a good grease smudge to your wrist of jacket.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM

I put Ariete valve stems on both my bikes. Like them. Sturdy, easy to check pressures and fill. The Honda has had them for probably 60,000 miles now, the Versys for probably 15,000. Got the ones for the Honda on a group buy for cheap. Got the set for the Versys for free from my tire merchant because they were red (so is my V) and they'd been sitting unsold for a long time. The black and silver ones kept selling and he wanted to be done with the colors...works for me!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I don't replace my stems UNLESS they have a problem.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM

You're crazy if you don't get 90deg stems when changing tires on the V. Our stock stems are a pain in the rear.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Crikey DustyOne, I wasn't expecting $30 a pair. Do we use the 11.3mm or 8.3mm style?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Crikey DustyOne, I wasn't expecting $30 a pair. Do we use the 11.3mm or 8.3mm style?
No need to spend that much...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...lve-Stems.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Ok, now I'm real confused. These ones are for a 10mm hole.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:

11.3mm... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21601

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-24-2013 at 04:09 PM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Garage
These look good...http://www.ebay.com/itm/290838160770...witem=&vxp=mtr free shipping plus they ship out of NY so you should get them pretty quick.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:

Sorry i just assumed they came in 11.3mm.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
You're crazy if you don't get 90deg stems when changing tires on the V. Our stock stems are a pain in the rear.
It's nice being a dinosaur on this forum... I can now add stock valve stems to ever increasing pile of stock Versys items I don't have a gripe with.

Valve stems... Meet my stock exhaust, my stock seat, my stock windscreen, my stock brake lines, my stock horn, my stock lighting and the rest of my stock bike.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM

I would install a good quality ($30) set of alloy stems with an 83 degree bend. They are much easier to fill and look nice and exude quality. They should last the rest of the life of the bike. Be sure to point the stems out the right side so you can easily fill the tires with the bike on the side stand. Search EBay for "angled valve stem motorcycle".

Last edited by versys_rider; 09-24-2013 at 05:05 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1 for Kurveygirl. Excellent customer service. If the price of the fancy colored aluminum ones is too high for you, she also sells these Enkei ones for 10 bucks a pair. I've used these and like them:
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...products_id=72

Most Japanese bikes are the 11.3 mm opening.

I've replaced the rubber stock valve stems on all my bikes with the metal ones. I don't see a need to replace them often. I'd only replace the stock rubber ones if they showed signs of dry rot, and the metal ones if the rubber seals showed similar signs. I don't think I've ever replaced valve stems on bikes I've owned for years.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 AM

Hmmm. I don't have an issue checking my tyres with stock valve stems. Mind you over the years I have checked thousands of tyres. Some car and truck ones can be worse. The only pain in the bum is rolling the bike to expose the valve.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Them 90 deg valve stem make work easy for air tyre pumping. So far,never needed to replace them.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks gang and ESE_Versys.. Very timely thread. I was about to install my new tires this weekend. I wasn't going to change the valve stems, but now I can't pass up the opportunity to put a set of angled stems.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
And DO NOT get the 90 degree ones that "pull" thru from the inside! I did that on my '08 UNTIL the tire developed a leak there, and I changed back to the straight ones.

The 90s that are metal... !

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode