Something is leaking - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Something is leaking

Bit of a mystery here. A few weeks back, I pulled the CA evap canister off the bike. I capped the red hose barb on the tank, and connected the blue line to the filler cap drain hose (the one that sticks out by the sidestand) with a T. Nothing has ever dripped out of that line before. The bike wound up being garaged for about 3 weeks due to it being just too damn hot to ride. So the bike sat in the 120+ degree garage the whole time without an issue. Now that's it's cooling off, I started riding into work again. I noticed 2 days ago, when I went to leave for home, there was a CD-sized stain under the drain hose. I wiped some up with my finger, and it didn't smell like gas. More like coolant, and it stained a paper towel yellow. Yesterday, it did the same thing, only less. The bike sits in the sun, and at a slight angle towards the rear. This is the only difference between my garage and now. I know the obvious answer is gas, but it didn't smell like it, and both stains are still wet out there. Wouldn't gas have evaporated by now? Why would gas be leaking out of the tanks vent? Anyone else pull the evap system and have it leak anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Sounds like coolant as anything else would have evaporated off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Yellow color would make me suspect oil. Could be a bit coming from crankcase ventilation.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Whatever it is, it's clearly dripping out of the vent hose (there was a drop waiting to fall yesterday), and I never had this problem before I connected the tank vent to the hose. It's also confusing as to why it only happens at work, never in my garage. I did have a fairly full tank on tues, and about 1/2 tank today. We'll see if it drips less this afternoon.

Has anyone tried to plug both vent barbs on a CA-model tank, and opened the vent through the cap?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
...Has anyone tried to plug both vent barbs on a CA-model tank, and opened the vent through the cap?
No, but I DID remove the charcoal canister, but then had a problem w/ routing the lines to those three tubes under the tank, until "Invader" came to my rescue w/ the PROPER way to do them.

I think this is the thread...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15897

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yeah that's the one I followed too. I added a fuel filter about 2 inches from the blue outlet on the tank, ran that to a T on the filler overflow line to ground. I looked at the filter today, and it looks like it may have a droplet of something in there, so I'm guessing this is where the leak has to be coming from. Puddles still hadn't evaporated when I went to lunch. It's 87 here and sunny, so a small amount of gas should have evaporated by now..

*edit* Did some wrenching tonight, and I've pretty much ruled out the blue evap vent from being the problem. It's connected directly to the hole in the filler ring, and there was no gas in the filter yet. The leak has got to be coming from the filler overflow drain, but how?

Last edited by TwoTacoCombo; 09-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, still leaking. I put the tank vent (blue hose) on it's own tube to the ground. It looks like it's leaking from there, but there's still no liquid in the filter. I'm guessing it's evaporating and condensing towards the bottom of the line? I notice the non-CA tanks have a separate location for the vent, and have this part inline:

14069 14069-1004 "BREATER,FUEL TANK CNUS"

Anybody know what it is, exactly? Looks like a check valve, possibly? I'm thinking this may be what I need to get the drips stopped.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can't you determine what fluid is leaking yet? It'd be obvious if it was gasoline.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 PM

I won't say it's karma, but why fork with the canister? It just catches evap fumes and sends them off to be burned in your engine? Yeah, it's less parts and lighter without that stuff...but your bike would be lighter without shocks too. :-)

OK, sorry. Just thought as a fellow SoCal guy who breathes the same air, that I should point that out.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Can't you determine what fluid is leaking yet? It'd be obvious if it was gasoline.
I guess it's gas. What else could it be? But it comes out a dirty yellow, and doesn't evaporate quickly. There's still spots on the concrete from last week. Blowing on that line causes air to come out of the hole where the little cone on the gas cap fits into. The tank is configured like the non-CA tanks are, except for that part mentioned above. If all it is is a filter, I'm at a loss. If it's a one-way check valve, then it may solve this problem.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I won't say it's karma, but why fork with the canister? It just catches evap fumes and sends them off to be burned in your engine? Yeah, it's less parts and lighter without that stuff...but your bike would be lighter without shocks too. :-)

OK, sorry. Just thought as a fellow SoCal guy who breathes the same air, that I should point that out.
Because it's always in the way when I work in that section of the bike, and it butts up against my crash bars. If the other 49 states, plus DC, plus the rest of WORLD doesn't require it, I'm fairly certain it isn't going to end life as we know it if it gets removed. I live in a city that resides in the shadow of a mountain range heavily polluted with toxic chemicals from rocket engine testing, as well as radiological contamination from several (four at last count) nuclear reactor accidents. When they get all that cleaned up, then they can come knocking on my door about my tank that releases less pollution than when I fill my (CARB-compliant) lawn mower. So Cal air has really cleaned up since the 80's/90's, but sometimes they just get silly with the regulations.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I guess it's gas. What else could it be? But it comes out a dirty yellow, and doesn't evaporate quickly. There's still spots on the concrete from last week.
Jesus Murphy... There's no guessing with gas, which overwhelmingly smells like gasoline and evaporates quickly. If it's not oily and dark like engine oil, and if it eventually dries up to a chalky residue, then it's probably coolant. I could tell you right away if I was there. It would be quite obvious to the trained eye, nose, and feel. Is there not evidence of coolant leaking under water pump or at a clamped coolant hose? If overfull, it could also drain from the expansion tank's overflow tube, especially after a heat soak when it's turned off from a hot ride.

Last edited by invader; 09-27-2013 at 05:00 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jesus Murphy... There's no guessing with gas, which overwhelmingly smells like gasoline and evaporates quickly. If it's not oily and dark like engine oil, and if it eventually dries up to a chalky residue, then it's probably coolant. I could tell you right away if I was there. It would be quite obvious to the trained eye, nose, and feel. Is there not evidence of coolant leaking under water pump or at a clamped coolant hose? If overfull, it could also drain from the expansion tank's overflow tube, especially after a heat soak when it's turned off from a hot ride.
That's what's so strange about this. It's leaking from a hose connected directly to the gas tank breather vent (the inside of the hose is wet with the stuff). Nothing else but gas and seafoam goes in there. But what's dripping out doesn't act like gas. It doesn't have that in your face slap of gas odor, only a vague hint of it. It doesn't evaporate quickly like gas does. I've spilled drips of gas in my garage pulling the tank off, and it evaporates before tank goes back on. It only comes out in the afternoon after the bike has been sitting in the sun for most of the day. It never leaks in the garage, and it's definitely not coolant or oil. At this point, I'm assuming it's the heavier elements of gas that are heating up and evaporating in the black tank sitting in the sun, but then condense in the hose and don't heat up enough on the concrete the evaporate as quickly as the more volatile chemicals.

I'm going to run by kawi today and see if they have that breather part in stock. What else could it be..
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I won't say it's karma, but why fork with the canister? ....
In my case - to allow me to get MORE gas into the tank for some of the long-distance-between-gas-station routes I ride....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 AM

OK I see. I hadn't reread all the thread... 14069 14069-1004 "BREATER,FUEL TANK CNUS is just a filter for the fuel tank venting. It can either breathe in under vacuum as you burn fuel, or expulse gasoline's naturally released fumes/gasses, or as gasoline and air in tank expands as it's warmed.
For the record, my 2007 did not come equipped with that inline filter, or a breather hose.

So, replacing breather/filter won't help. As you suspected, it's only dripping accumulated condensation which is washing away gasoline's evaporated product residue... Can you try ethanol-free premium gasoline?

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Last edited by invader; 09-29-2013 at 08:36 AM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So, replacing breather/filter won't help. As you suspected, it's only dripping accumulated condensation which is washing away gasoline's evaporated product residue... Can you try ethanol-free premium gasoline?

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA
So was gas always dripping into the evap system in this volume? It's not much every day, but it sure adds up over 2 years. What do you have attached to your tank where the breather hose should go, and do you ever get drips on hot days?

Ethanol-free gas? There isn't a station I'm aware of within 2 full tanks riding distance. We're lucky they even allow us to buy gas anymore. If CARB had their way, we'd all be riding scooters running on sunshine and unicorn farts.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So was gas always dripping into the evap system in this volume? It's not much every day, but it sure adds up over 2 years. What do you have attached to your tank where the breather hose should go, and do you ever get drips on hot days?

Ethanol-free gas? There isn't a station I'm aware of within 2 full tanks riding distance. We're lucky they even allow us to buy gas anymore. If CARB had their way, we'd all be riding scooters running on sunshine and unicorn farts.

http://www.accessnorton.com/make-you...ne-t14970.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Interesting read. Not really practical for the amount I ride, but my mower and 2-stroke weedeater might be happier with that...
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...If CARB had their way, we'd all be riding scooters running on sunshine and unicorn farts.
but too bad it's true....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM

There is nothing attached to myr tank where the breather hose would go. Nothing comes out except the occasional whistle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode