Boat Battery Exploded In My Face! not bike related! But you guys are #1 for answers! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boat Battery Exploded In My Face! not bike related! But you guys are #1 for answers!

Problem solved
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (48.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (50.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (51.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 008.jpg (52.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (47.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (44.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (62.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 009.jpg (36.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (36.7 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Banack; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Wow, sure glad you are ok. What a sobering reminder of the dangers of batteries.

I spent 6 summers in my youth working for a boat dealer here in MN, and did hundreds of battery installs, charges, and removals. I remember many times causing sparks, crossing wrenches between terminals, etc and never giving it a second thought (teenage luck). Then once I had a battery issue with my car, can't remember exact scenario but had hood open, turned the key and KABOOM! Like you described - sounded like a cannon going off - thank god no one was standing there and I was in the car. Found parts of it 100 yards away, and emptied the houses for several blocks. I've been very wary around them from then on...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

It was dumb luck that I didn't burn or damage my face/body, given the acid involved and the rapidly shooting pieces flying off the battery. Eyes are still itchy and sore, but the drops are helping and I am having no trouble seeing.

Did you ever have anyone else at the boat dealership experience this problem?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Glad you're ok...That put a shiver down my spine thinking of all the times I've hammered, wrenched, jury rigged wires of all descriptions (including coat hangers) to the batteries I've owned and no Ka Boom...Of course "dumb luck" is kinda my business model, being in construction and all...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Problem Solved

Last edited by Banack; 06-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 AM

Give us some details. How old was the battery. Did you have it on a charger at the time. How often did you charge it over the life of the battery? Did you trickle charge it constantly or just when needed?

Glad you and your eyes are ok!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Friend of mine has a 70' boat that caught fire because of an AGM battery 'cooking'.

This was a million dollar fire and there was a full forensic investigation that showed it was an over-charge situation.

But, don't think your battery is an AGM. I have never heard of a regular lead acid battery doing that-hope you were well compensated.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I have never heard of a regular lead acid battery doing that-hope you were well compensated.
Unfortunately lead acid batteries exploding is fairly common.

Connecting jumper cables incorrectly is usually the main culprit of explosions.

When they are charging, they give off hydrogen and oxygen, all it takes is a spark. Sometimes static is enough.

I am very wary of batteries, I've see the damage they can do.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

bscott,

You're right. I made a stupid, stupid mistake. I had been up since 4:30 a.m. and it was 11:30 p.m when this happened (brain was a bit stupid at that point). The green light on the battery was on, indicating that it was charged, in my mind I said "okay, there is no electricity going to it, I can disconnect it". Stupid move. It must have still be trickle charging. Kaboom next, couldn't hear or see, jumped right in the shower, somehow avoided burns, blindness, etc.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Banack,

Glad you are okay with all intact. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 PM

You call that a battery?
This is a battery.
(look at the chair in the background for a sense of scale)

Not sure if I can even legally post these work pics, but what the hell.

Glad you're OK. I had a similar vision-scare with carb cleaner when I was a teenager.
I know the sickening feeling of "Oh **** was that really the last thing I'm ever going to see?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteryofbatteries.jpg (20.0 KB, 79 views)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Haha this reminds me of the old "you call that a knife.... THIS is a knife" in the Australian accent. Shatrat, that was something I thought about while I was in the shower (as I had not opened my eyes until after I was in the shower for 30 + seconds).... did I just blind myself!? On the bright side, after hearing stories from you guys, friends, and family about people they know who have been blinded by such an event, I'm appreciating my sight a bit more than I used to.

Damn I haven't had the Versys out for almost 2 weeks! Camping, working, etc. I just put it over the 1000 km mark...service department in Camrose, Alberta told me it would be about $300 CDN, so I called a shop in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta...same thing.... I'm just going to change my oil myself.... I already changed it at 200 km and I highly, highly doubt they will actually do 2.5 hours of work on it and other than finding a bolt in my upper left cowl (could not find where it came from, looked over the whole front end), I haven't had any problems (front brakes squeak a bit just as I am coming to a complete stop, but a good wash should take care of that)...... $300 can buy a lot of Pilsner... or Old Milwaukee...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 AM

Glad to hear you are OK.

My battery story really belongs to somebody else. I used to drive a Mini Minor panel van. The battery sits behind the driver's seat with a pressed cardboard cover. All sorts of stuff gets chucked in the back of such a van.

A friend had the same van with lots of flotsam in back. One day a can of WD40 rolled forward and dislodged the battery cover. Then it bridged the terminals. Imagine a whole can of that stuff with full starting current going through it. The car was suddenly a ball of flame as both WD40 and battery went up. My mate had long blond surfie hair and long blond viking beard. The hair saved his skin, but he was very quickly hairless down one side.

Some people get a lucky escape.

You can help make Clem a household name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode