shorter kickstand options? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
shorter kickstand options?

I'm planning to lower my Versys with Speedy's link. I want to avoid cutting the side stand though just in case I ever sell the bike I want to be able to return it to stock.

So can anyone help me with what stands I should be trolling ebay for?

I've heard the er6n standcan work. What about other Ninjas? From what years?

Also will I be able to reuse my spring or do I need to find a stand with spring?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 AM

Er6n is the naked version of ninja 650r in the US. Both kickstands are the same and will work as direct bolt on replacement for a lowered versys.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I picked one up on ebay from a Ninja 650. Forget what year, I think 2012 or 2011 and I have a 2013 Versys. Bolted right up, and is about an inch shorter than the V's. I think it came with springs, but it looked as though I could have used the ones I had.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got an '09 Versys. From looking at Kawasaki.com it appears that the side stand was the same part for '07-'09 but changed in 2010. It sounds like my best bet is to find a 650 Ninja (or Er-6N) from that same time period.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Garage
I bought a ninja650r kickstand from ebay. When you the lowering kit, let Speedy's team know what kickstand you have if you order the flat foot. When I ordered mine they made sure I got the correct part.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Garage
How much is a shorter kickstand needed? I have no plans to lower my 08' V but I hate how far the bike leans over on the kickstand. I usually keep it on the rear race stand in the garage because of how far it leans, and takes up a lot more space as it leans over.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
How much is a shorter kickstand needed? I have no plans to lower my 08' V but I hate how far the bike leans over on the kickstand. I usually keep it on the rear race stand in the garage because of how far it leans, and takes up a lot more space as it leans over.
I've heard a couple comments like this, but far more people complain about how upright the bike sits when parked. Maybe it depends on the year? Or suspension settings? Or just personal preference?

I find my '09 sits very upright when parked. Once lowered, I don't expect the side stand to work at all. As it is, the stand sometimes touches ground about halfway to being fully extended. I have to lean the bike a little right, then swing it the rest of the way out and set the bike down.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=Topper;423330]I've heard a couple comments like this, but far more people complain about how upright the bike sits when parked. Maybe it depends on the year? Or suspension settings? Or just personal preference?
[quote]

I just went down to the garage, and took this picture of my bike. I also measured the distance between where the bike extends to operate, am fully extended out. The difference is over a foot for my bike. neither of the two min jus, or my father's shadow lean nearly as much as my V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1379454450089.jpg (37.5 KB, 131 views)

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, mine's nowhere near that far leaned over. Looks like you raised the front fender. Are those stock tire sizes? Taller tires would make you lean over more.

Anyway, I'll definitely have to shorten my side stand when I lower my bike. I'll be on the look out for a 08-09 Ninja (or Er6n) stand.

Thanks for the help!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Yeah, mine's nowhere near that far leaned over. Looks like you raised the front fender. Are those stock tire sizes? Taller tires would make you lean over more.

Anyway, I'll definitely have to shorten my side stand when I lower my bike. I'll be on the look out for a 08-09 Ninja (or Er6n) stand.

Thanks for the help!
Everything about the dimensions of the bike is stock except the footpeg lowering from Speedy. I just like the look of the raised fenders of SM bikes so I made a setup.

08' Versys
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
[quote=HAWKSHOT99;423498][QUOTE=Topper;423330]I've heard a couple comments like this, but far more people complain about how upright the bike sits when parked. Maybe it depends on the year? Or suspension settings? Or just personal preference?
Quote:

I just went down to the garage, and took this picture of my bike. I also measured the distance between where the bike extends to operate, am fully extended out. The difference is over a foot for my bike. neither of the two min jus, or my father's shadow lean nearly as much as my V.
HAWKSHOT99 - what did you make your "fork-lowers protectors" from? Pictures from the side, please.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Found a kickstand from a 2009 ER650C on Ebay for $12!

I'll try and take some before/after pics of how my bike sits on the side stand. Just have to wait for the stand and lowering link to arrive.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Garage
[quote=fasteddiecopeman;424354][quote=HAWKSHOT99;423498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I've heard a couple comments like this, but far more people complain about how upright the bike sits when parked. Maybe it depends on the year? Or suspension settings? Or just personal preference?

HAWKSHOT99 - what did you make your "fork-lowers protectors" from? Pictures from the side, please.
Made them from plastic sewer pipe. I think it was 3" diameter? I used a table saw to cut the pipe in half and then cut to length. Then used a blow torch to soften up the plastic, and opened up the radius of the pipe a bit. Then used a router on all edges to smooth and round them off.
For mounting I used the stock fender mounts. Built a bracket out of aluminum L-brackets and painted.
I am away from my bike for a few days, but will take some close up pics when I get home end of the week.

08' Versys
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

So here's my V on the side stand. It looks pretty different from HawkShot99's.

This is stock stand, stock tires, etc. In order to take the pic I had to turn it around which put the foot on a piece of flooring that's a little less than 1/4 inch thick.

If there's any sort of uneven ground (and there always is) the bike feels very tipsy.

I've got my lowering link and er-6 stand ordered. Hopefully that'll get the bike and stand at about the right height for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side-stand.jpg (33.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg sidestand-comparison.jpg (48.0 KB, 121 views)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Garage
Wow. Quite a difference. Hope you didnt think I was calling you a liar or anything like that. As you aaw in my pic, there is no need to lean it over more.

08' Versys
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Didn't think you were calling me a liar, but I do think this shows that the guy welding these on at the factory could have used a little more supervision.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

The kickstand from the ER650C went on perfectly. With the lowering link and dropping the forks it puts the bike at a nice comfortable lean when parked.

I did discover something while lowering my forks that may explain the lack of lean with the stock stand.

The left fork was lower on my bike than the right. I'd estimate it was off by about 3/16" I can imagine that might interfere with the side stand's ability to do it's job.

It's all fixed now and I'm loving the new height of the bike. It's raining, so no ride yet and no pics.

But I'll take a few pics of the new lean angle once the sun comes out.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Talk about lean. The rear of my bikes been lowered not the front. Stock kickstand and i use this to take out some of the lean....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Do you put the block in the cup-holder when you ride. lol
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Do you put the block in the cup-holder when you ride. lol

Nah the cup holder is for my whiskey..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode