Chain adjusting: Where do you measure from? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain adjusting: Where do you measure from?

When adjusting the chain I've always been told to never trust the hatch marks on the swingarm and to measure both sides of the adjuster off of an equidistant point on either side of the bike. Usually you can measure off the swingarm pivot point, pegs, something like that. The versys has an oddly shaped rear and I can't determine a good point to measure the chain adjustment distance off.

My current thought would be to check it based off of the rear spool locations, since they should be located in the same spot on both sides of the bike.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Do WHATEVER is required to align your chain.
Once that's done, ALWAYS adjust your chain by moving the SAME # of 'flats' (each adjuster nut has 6 'flats') on EACH adjuster. That way both sides are coming back identical amounts.
Ed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 PM

+1, Fasteddiecopeman.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM

I also use the bolt flat method until I have to remove the wheel for tire replacement, then I just use the hash marks......close enough for me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM

I like to use dividers to make finer hash marks, as well, once they've been verified to be accurate.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Is there anything wrong with just using the hash marks ? I've not had uneven tire wear or squirly handling and I just eye it. What are the pros/cons of just using the hash marks ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
Is there anything wrong with just using the hash marks ? I've not had uneven tire wear or squirly handling and I just eye it. What are the pros/cons of just using the hash marks ?
There are a couple of ways to align your wheels, if you are concerned about this. I've seen the method described in several motorcycle books and mags. The short description - use 2 straight edges (using strings, angle irons, or lazers). Align these with your rear tire, extending to your front tire (with your handle bars straight ahead). Adjust rear wheel alignment until you obtain equal and parallel spacing between the straight edges and the front tire. This method will show you if you have a misaligned rear wheel or even a bent frame.

I saw a mag at Borders Books about a month ago that detailed how to do this with inexpensive lazers purchased from a big box home improvement store. I can't remember the name of the mag, but I recall it being maybe a british vintage mag. I would think it would be easier to use nylon string, pulled tightly, though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Oh - to answer your question - I just use the hash marks on both my bikes, then I sight down the top of the chain to check if it looks close to a straight line between the two sprockets. The hash marks have always been fine for me. I also periodically inspect for uneven wear marks on the sprockets and chain (looking for more wear on one side versus the other, just to be sure.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good gang. Thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM

I had been adjusting my chain with the marks and didn't seem to have any problems. But when I learned the string method and used that I found out that the marks are way off. Plus I think the string method is easier.

The one addition I make to the method in the link below is that I clamp the strings to a board in front of the front tire, making sure they're the same width as the rear tire. Finding and keeping the lines in the right place is just easier that way so I don't have to keep re-grabbing the strings to check it.

'hope this helps you as much as it has me.

http://www.uponone.com/howtos/31.pdf

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode