Headlight alignment woes.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight alignment woes..

So I've been struggling with the vertical alignment of my headlight assembly and turn to you guys for some help.

If I adjust my low beam to the correct height my high beam is shinning into the tree tops in front of me and does absolutely no good. If I adjust my high beams to their appropriate height my low beam only projects out about 15 feet in front of me.

Is there anyway to adjust them independent of each other? Or is there something I could have bumped/broken that would cause them to be so far out of whack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Is this a 2nd Gen bike? If so I don't think you can adjust them separately. I do know it took a lot of fiddling around to get mine the way I wanted it. Like you said 15' in front of the bike or blinding airline pilots.

Could it be damaged?

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Garage
I know they are 1 piece on the 1st gens. So they cant be done seperate. I am fighting the same problem.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Second Gen

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Garage
Mine was easy just adjusted it and both were fine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM

I adjusted mine by riding at night and moving the low beam up as high as I could without blinding the car in front of me. I'd pick an average size sedan, get behind it at a comfortable distance, and see where the top of the main light "box" hit. I adjusted it so that cutoff didn't rise higher than the edge of the trunk most of the time. Unless you do most of your riding at night out in the sticks, you want to adjust your low beams to around this level. If you still need more light coverage with your brights on, you might want to look into some add-on lighting.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
I adjusted mine by riding at night and moving the low beam up as high as I could without blinding the car in front of me. I'd pick an average size sedan, get behind it at a comfortable distance, and see where the top of the main light "box" hit. I adjusted it so that cutoff didn't rise higher than the edge of the trunk most of the time. Unless you do most of your riding at night out in the sticks, you want to adjust your low beams to around this level. If you still need more light coverage with your brights on, you might want to look into some add-on lighting.
+1
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
...Is there anyway to adjust them independent of each other?....
NO.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NO.
YES you can. Turn the riding lamp first using a 8mm wrench on the right side behind the lamp. It's more on top. After you have tuned the driving lamp, go to the bottom left 8mm bolt for the high beam

Been there
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
YES you can. Turn the riding lamp first using a 8mm wrench on the right side behind the lamp. It's more on top. After you have tuned the driving lamp, go to the bottom left 8mm bolt for the high beam

Been there
Glock19 - bet we have different gen Vs. My '08 and '09 use a 10mm, behind, top right, to adjust BOTH, either up or down. (Just did it a night ago....)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-16-2013 at 03:21 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Page 158 in the Owners Manual....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 AM

My bike is a 2nd gen and there is no way to adjust both independently.
I adjusted the headlamps for max distance high beam. For shorter distance, i have my wide flooding aux driving lights taking care of 'em. Plus it works well as DRL too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Sorry guys.. I should have been more clear on my question.

Yes I know the proper way of aligning our headlights. The proper way doesn't really work due to the alignment issues I (and others) mentioned.

I was hoping someone found a work around for this design flaw like so many have with other flaws in our V's design.

Thanks though, at least now I know I'm not alone with my headlight issues.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
solved it by adding Denali Micro driving lights
not cheap but 4 months of the year I leave for work before sunrise & don't get home until after sunset.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
solved it by adding Denali Micro driving lights
not cheap but 4 months of the year I leave for work before sunrise & don't get home until after sunset.
Pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode