08 and 09 Brake Master Cylinders??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
08 and 09 Brake Master Cylinders???

Hey folks,

I just wanted to ask if anyone with the 09 versys has noticed a difference with the updated front brake master cylinder unit.

I have put stainless lines on my 08 both of which run straight from the master to the calipers. I have bled the hell out of it several times. Ride, bleed, ride bleed, etc and still spongey. I had stainless lines on my old bandit 1200 and those were MUCH firmer than this. It makes me wonder if the 08 Versys Master cyls actually displaced too little fluid for the two calipers. The 09's look a little longer and may be a little better. I squeezed the levers of a coulpe 09 Versys (Versi?) in showrooms and it feel better than my 08 with lines and relentless bleeding.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking they must have changed the master cyliner unit for some reason ?

Thanks!
CC

---------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:56 PM

I can't confirm it, but I can say the 09 frt brakes are "just ok" stock. teflon lines made them feel much better. I use a single line w/a crossover. have you tried banging on the calipers/cyl w/ a piece of wood while bleeding to dislodge any sneaky bubbles of air?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

They are definitely different master cylinders. The chamber is shaped differently, the 09 has a pushrod and the lever is different. The calipers are the same. Installing SS lines made the brakes on my 08 much firmer.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 06-08-2009 at 07:04 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM

I'm with CrazyCarl. I installed Gafer SS lines, speed bleeders, and fresh Castrol GT LMA synthetic brake fluid two weeks ago. While it is much better, it's nowhere near what I want. Aside from a Brembo radial master, I would love to see what the piston size on the OEM 09 Versys is for a possible upgrade. That and DP brake pads....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I'd be willing to try the change and see how it goes. Question is, will the master cylinder from the 650R work? Hmmmmm....

CC

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 PM

I had a bad master cylinder on my Gixxer and I could never get a firm lever. Perhaps you could find a performance shop to bleed it? If they can't get it firm either, I'd try another m/c.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Isn't that kind of like asking someone else to cook your meat at your own BBQ?

For the price of asking a shop to do it for me I could go ahead and try a new m/cyl and report the findings. Worse comes to worse, I install the old one and live with the brakes the way they are, which isn't bad but I'm just picky.

After a little bit of research it looks like there are a couple bikes out there which use the same type of caliper. The older Bandit 600/1200's, VStrom DL650/1000 and of course the ER6 and Ninja 650R.

If anyone out there has any direct experience with these models and/or can help me confirm the caliper match... it would be GREATLY appreciated.

CC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I had the same problem when I replaced my front brake levers and master cylinder with Beringer units. (Hated the stockers) I had to resort to using a turkey baster. I filled the baster with brake fluid and attached a rubber hose between the tip and the bleeder value. Pushing the baster plunger in slowly pushes fluid from the baster UP into the master cylinder. This method always works for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM

I never realized how handy turkey basters are...brake bleeding, oil measurement, setting fork oil height, impregnating people and animals.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I had the same problem when I replaced my front brake levers and master cylinder with Beringer units. (Hated the stockers) I had to resort to using a turkey baster. I filled the baster with brake fluid and attached a rubber hose between the tip and the bleeder value. Pushing the baster plunger in slowly pushes fluid from the baster UP into the master cylinder. This method always works for me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Get a Mityvav. It's $30 at Sears and will make filling/bleeding fresh lines a total breeze, trust me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Isn't that kind of like asking someone else to cook your meat at your own BBQ?
For the price of asking a shop to do it for me I could go ahead and try a new m/cyl and report the findings. Worse comes to worse, I install the old one and live with the brakes the way they are, which isn't bad but I'm just picky.
After a little bit of research it looks like there are a couple bikes out there which use the same type of caliper. The older Bandit 600/1200's, VStrom DL650/1000 and of course the ER6 and Ninja 650R.
If anyone out there has any direct experience with these models and/or can help me confirm the caliper match... it would be GREATLY appreciated.
CC
I have a 96 Bandit and it has Nissin calipers, not Tokicos. They both appear to be twin pot calipers, but I don't think there are many other similarities. Someone with more in depth knowledge might be able to tell you more.

I thought the Bandit's brakes lacked some initial bite, which was easily remedied with new pads. (EBC?) Even now I have no complaints from the brakes that still wear the original lines.
The Versys, however, is terrible. It lacks initial bite. It has zero feedback in the rear and feels wooden up front. I haven't locked the front yet, but have locked the rear a few times and didn't know it until after I heard the squeal and the back end stepped out. Two fingered braking finds my last two fingers squashed between the lever and grip for anything more than light braking. Moderate to hard braking has some feel, but that feel is like something coarse is grinding.

Let me know what you discover. Brake mods have moved to the top of my future farkle list.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode